Player
    Character
    The Patriarch
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Abauge_Goga View Post
    I would almost agree with you except you are forgetting a lot of FFXIV players come from playing 5-7 years in FFXI, where we already had to deal with those kind of HNM. It was fun at the time, but most of those players either have a family now, or a career that doesn't allow them to play that much anymore, making them, in turn, casuals.

We still want to be able to get our hands on the same gear and it is taking us LONGER to do than the more hardcore people. That is perfectly fine with me. I don't need the new gear right away, i can wait a few months. What I don't think we would want is certain mobs that you need to camp for 4 hrs at a time, and compete with botters on claims.

What is the fun in that, no matter if you are hardcore or casual. Don't you remember how bad it used to be at certain stages, when you would wait for 3 hrs, only to have a bot claim the HNM in front of your face. Then drama started, mpk, stealing, bad blood between players... Look at FFXIV now, people actually help people out, that whole drama does NOT exist.

Why would anyone want it back, it's beyond me.
    I mean no offense, and I apologize if you take this in a negative manner, but please read up on the thread before posting.

None of us want the long camps. Even if we keep respawn timers over 12 hour, we want just a single window, preferably less than 15 minutes.

For instance: X-HNM is due to pop in 30 mins. Multiple LS's gather. X-HMM pops, during its only 15 minute window. LS claims, all other LS's get back to whatever they were doing (unless they stay suspecting a wipe). Only 15 minutes wasted, and everyone else can get back to whatever other event they so choose.
    (0)
    Bring Quality Notorious Monsters to FFXIV!

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/40738-Highly-Notorious-Monstersz

Player
    Character
    Sri Ahbayaa
    World
    Durandal
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    I think most of us are arguing against long windows. I personally think long spawn times are okay.
    It's having to stand there for several hours that creates the greatest sense of lost time.

Teleport out, wait 15 minutes, get claim or don't, teleport back, move on.

I think if you broke it into 6 or 8 hour spawns you could have one falling roughly in every prime-time time zone. (for the larger HNMs)

The purpose of the 3 hour window on 24hr HNMs in ffxi was so that it would rotate through time zones as the week progressed.
    (1)
    Last edited by Abhayaa; 03-28-2012 at 02:45 AM.

Player
    Character
    Ria Ayo
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    I have many friends who have been dying for open-world HNMs.

Back in XI, the things that turned me off of HNM camping were the exceptionally long respawns & camping windows, and the over-abundance of bot claims.

My favorite NM in FFXI was Shikigami Weapon. Despite its long respawn, it had a very short window and it spawned invisible, requiring players to figure out where it was and then magic aggro it, then claim it. This type of setting was so much fun to me as it eliminated the pain of a 3 hour window as well as mostly prevented bot claiming.

I don't want even NM or HNM to spawn invisible or anything, but I would love to see this type of creativity in NM spawns in the game.

I want to say though, I personally want to see the challenge put in the killing of said monster and not in the claiming. I would like to be able to on a whim say hey let's go fight (insert dragon here), and the shell could on said whim go find and kill that HNM. Now, balancing that desire with giving the HNM powerful, desirable drops and not wanting everyone to have those drops is rough... and truthfully, I can't off the top of my head offer a great solution to that problem (maybe it's already in this thread).
    (1)

Player
    Character
    The Patriarch
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Riaayo View Post
    I have many friends who have been dying for open-world HNMs.

Back in XI, the things that turned me off of HNM camping were the exceptionally long respawns & camping windows, and the over-abundance of bot claims.

My favorite NM in FFXI was Shikigami Weapon. Despite its long respawn, it had a very short window and it spawned invisible, requiring players to figure out where it was and then magic aggro it, then claim it. This type of setting was so much fun to me as it eliminated the pain of a 3 hour window as well as mostly prevented bot claiming.

I don't want even NM or HNM to spawn invisible or anything, but I would love to see this type of creativity in NM spawns in the game.

I want to say though, I personally want to see the challenge put in the killing of said monster and not in the claiming. I would like to be able to on a whim say hey let's go fight (insert dragon here), and the shell could on said whim go find and kill that HNM. Now, balancing that desire with giving the HNM powerful, desirable drops and not wanting everyone to have those drops is rough... and truthfully, I can't off the top of my head offer a great solution to that problem (maybe it's already in this thread).
    We have discussed how drops should work a few times so far, and it would seem that the greater majority would like to keep HNM (drops) in their true fashion of having a decent/low drop rate, and have them be great items, alongside money drops.

Your dislike of long windows is shared by almost all of us, and I have edited my first post to reflect common opinions on the matter.

Your input on Shiki Weapon is a good one, for that has not been discussed. It is definitely a unique spawn and I think we should look into how we could implement that in several more ways. Thanks!
    (0)
    Bring Quality Notorious Monsters to FFXIV!

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/40738-Highly-Notorious-Monstersz

Player
    Character
    Aedan Yarborough
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Klick View Post
    Honestly here is what opinions you will get. And I say this without even bothering looking at all the responses. People who do no have a lot of game time, suck at gaming, and have the mentality of "I deserve all the best stuff in game without working hard, will hate the idea. Everyone who wants competition and actually likes gaming will want something with competition. That's how it always is.

Quite honestly if you don't like hard games with lots of competition, go play Star Wars or WoW or Rift. Those games are all easy with instanced content that is a joke. This game will have roaming monsters, its already in the works. Odin has already been on paper, as well as many others. As for timers, no one wants insane timers, or doing content 1000 times to get loot. There has to be middle ground but still have rare stuff.

You always need to appeal to the hardcore crowd by giving them rare loot that rewards their time. Any gaming company that chooses to give the same loot to everyone, no matter your play time, kills their game. If you're casual then deal with it, you don't deserve the same stuff that someone putting in 60 hours a week does. I won't cry if someone willing to camp and HNM gets gear while I'm at work. And I won't demand there be a way for me to get the same loot, or that his loot not be the best. That would be outright ignorance.
    What's outright ignorant is your post.

Just because a person may not like HNMs does not mean they "suck at gaming" or don't like gaming. Making blanket statements like that only serve to show the stupidity of the people who make them.
    (0)

Player

I personally don't think a 3 hour window is a bad thing but I do see how it bothers others. 15 minutes might be a little too short though. I suggested earlier they be 2 hours instead of 3, then the average pop time would be 1 hour.

Maybe a one hour window would be better, 4 windows in 15 minute periods. Average pop time would be 30 minutes.

I see nothing wrong with a big respawn timer though, if this game had a cerberus or tiamat you wouldn't want that poping twice a day, popping once a week would be fine. If the servers are flooded with the big hnm drops the game becomes broken too easily. How hard would XI have been if everybody had a D.ring?

Bringing shiki into this brings back another point from earlier, XI had all types of nms. I think they should be in all varieties instead of forced popped or something.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Jinko View Post
    I'm not a fan of open world NM's because it encourages unfair play, abuse, MPK and botting.
    Lol, funny story about this in Tera.

It doesn't happen.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Klick Rahl
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Wynn View Post
    What's outright ignorant is your post.

Just because a person may not like HNMs does not mean they "suck at gaming" or don't like gaming. Making blanket statements like that only serve to show the stupidity of the people who make them.
    Actually I had meant to put "or" not "and" in that sentence. I wasn't assuming that someone not liking HNM's was all of those things, just most likely one of them. I've seen this discussion had a hundred times over in so many mmo's it makes my head spin. Almost every single person I've heard against competitive gaming falls under one of my categories.
    (1)

Player

Reguardless of drop rate and respawn time, we need HNMs.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Abauge Decebalus
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Dragoon Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePatriarch View Post
    I mean no offense, and I apologize if you take this in a negative manner, but please read up on the thread before posting.

None of us want the long camps. Even if we keep respawn timers over 12 hour, we want just a single window, preferably less than 15 minutes.

For instance: X-HNM is due to pop in 30 mins. Multiple LS's gather. X-HMM pops, during its only 15 minute window. LS claims, all other LS's get back to whatever they were doing (unless they stay suspecting a wipe). Only 15 minutes wasted, and everyone else can get back to whatever other event they so choose.
    The problem won't be necessarily in the long respawn or short respwan. I hear you and see where you are coming from, but it ultimatelly comes to what gear is best.

If SE makes free roaming NM's drop the best gear in the game, you will inevitably have bots camping it, which is not a good thing.

We already have some NM's that are free roaming and noone kills them anymore since the crap they drop is crap. (except dodore).

I absolutelly want harder stuff as per your OP, i just don't think having open world HNM is the answer. Maybe SE can add more NM's roaming freely that drop certain gear that is beneficial to certain classes, but don't make it "the best" because that will lead to issues.
    (0)

Page 29 of 117 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 79 ... LastLast