Character
    Kyrs Isley
    World
    Durandal
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePatriarch View Post
    @Sephrick.

Your detailed Open-World layout you showed, I like it. So do many others.

But when you quote Yoshida with the comment of "the people have spoken"... Look at the game... It has failed miserably, and despite the recent hightened amount of players, is still failing. It needs more content catering to both crowd.

I personally love your idea of 100 man bosses. But at the same time I/many others would like KB/Faf/Tiamat type material. We have all mentioned the spawn time/area being revamped, etc etc.

Think of it less of everything being so "final" and/or "my opinion versus yours", and more of an open discusion inviting more opinions on how HNMs should be implemented
    I am not sure what is the correlation between the game's failure and not having open world content. The original FFXIV failed on many different levels and the lack of contested NMs/HNMs is far from the top of the list.

I think the result of Question 10 spoke loud and clear that the majority of the players who participated in the survey would prefer "instanced" content. In FFXI, fighting over the claim and preventing another group of players from screwing with your encounter were far more challenging than the actual content itself. This is the problem with contested open world content. How successful you are in PvE content shouldn't be based on how well you can react to a Paladin of the opposing linkshell cure bombing and popping invincible on you to turn the boss hoping that will result in a wipe of your LS. This to me is fundamentally backwards, since Fafnir/KB/Tiamat were suppose to be PvE, but I worry about what other players are going to do to me more than the actual boss, doesn't that sound more like PvP to you?
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Sephrick Markarius
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by KyrsIsley View Post
    I am not sure what is the correlation between the game's failure and not having open world content. The original FFXIV failed on many different levels and the lack of contested NMs/HNMs is far from the top of the list.

I think the result of Question 10 spoke loud and clear that the majority of the players who participated in the survey would prefer "instanced" content. In FFXI, fighting over the claim and preventing another group of players from screwing with your encounter were far more challenging than the actual content itself. This is the problem with contested open world content. How successful you are in PvE content shouldn't be based on how well you can react to a Paladin of the opposing linkshell cure bombing and popping invincible on you to turn the boss hoping that will result in a wipe of your LS. This to me is fundamentally backwards, since Fafnir/KB/Tiamat were suppose to be PvE, but I worry about what other players are going to do to me more than the actual boss, doesn't that sound more like PvP to you?
    The discussion pretty much boils down to nostalgic folks reminiscing on the "rush" they felt while camping HNMs. The poll data suggests that the vast majority of players either never felt that rush or have no desire to experience it again.

Is either side wrong? No. So it really comes down to an issue of quid pro quo.

In implementing HNMs, players who just want to play have to give up their chance to play so that a minority can have their rush.

In implementing mostly instances, players who want HNMs have to give up that "claim rush" so that everyone can play when they log on.

There's no reason they shouldn't do both, though. As long as rewards are even. MMOs are reward-drive experiences. We collect gear to make it easier on ourselves the next time we go out to collect gear. So it's only natural that the event with th best reward will be what we spend all of out time on.

But the problem for a lot of the folks in the anti-instance crowd is that they want a pedestal to stand on too. He rush of getting claim isn't enough if there isn't some elite item to rub in others' faces.
    (3)

Character
    Alerith Rayneheart
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Isn't it "High Notorious Monster"? Kinda like a Priest or a High Priest kinda deal?

I've heard "Hyper" in regards to some of the rage ones, but never heard of "Highly".
    (1)

5. 03-26-2012 03:59 PM

Player
    Character
    Veto Bahamut
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 1
    threads like these are always funny.

people who want a greater challenge never say the entire game needs to be really hard. they never say the entire game needs to cater to them and only them. they're only asking for *something* that their demographic can actually find challenging, rewarding and enjoyable. they never try to pry away the more casual content.

so why do the people who want casual content and/or don't want more challenging content insist on ruining things for those who do?

if you don't want it, don't participate in it. simple. but don't try to block it from being implemented into the game just because you personally don't want it.

it just makes you come across like petulant, spoiled little flailing children.
    (4)

Character
    Alerith Rayneheart
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by fusional View Post
    threads like these are always funny.

people who want a greater challenge never say the entire game needs to be really hard. they never say the entire game needs to cater to them and only them. they're only asking for *something* that their demographic can actually find challenging, rewarding and enjoyable. they never try to pry away the more casual content.

so why do the people who want casual content and/or don't want more challenging content insist on ruining things for those who do?

if you don't want it, don't participate in it. simple. but don't try to block it from being implemented into the game just because you personally don't want it.

it just makes you come across like petulant, spoiled little flailing children.
    I believe there was a thread created a while ago about someone wanting an "Easy, Hard Mode" for the level 50 Ifrit because the actual level 50 Ifrit was too stressful and they couldn't be bothered to do it, but didn't consider the level 25 as an acceptable alternative. They wanted the exact same experience as the level 50 Ifrit, but they wanted a special version so it was easier.

You'll never stop running into those kind of people, and arguing with them is just a waste of time.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Andros Abacai
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Im 1000% for this. IF you dont like it. DONT FREAKING CAMP THEM. TOO BAD. We want rare monsters. Lots of them. Im for quick spawns. long spawns. lottery spawns. Place holder spawns. timed spawns. 24 hours spawns. rare spawns. Add it all.
    VARIETY PLEASE. These are the things that made me LOVE final fantasy 11 in the early years. And its what i HOPE for and look forward to 2.0 the most. (+New maps)

It was very fun to earn a chance to fight something not everyone can at any time. Made it mean something.

You can still add BCNM style stuff. Trigger pop stuff for those people who dont like competition or cry about potential bot use.
    World NM are exciting and fun.
    (3)
    Last edited by Andros; 03-26-2012 at 07:46 PM.

Player
    Character
    Master Matsume
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Miner Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinko View Post
    I'm not a fan of open world NM's because it encourages unfair play, abuse, MPK and botting.

BCNM or pop item bosses I'm good with though.

As I've said in other thread if they have huge open world NM's they should make it public content, similar to what GW2 is doing.
    As true as this is, NMs/HNMs were nonetheless one of my favorite FFXI activities.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Myrddin Soleece
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Botanist Lv 30
    I say have some poped HNM's that you farm pop items off, say level 60-70 mobs.

Also some Roaming HNM.
    Have them pop every five minutes like any regular NM, but put a recast timer of like 15min on any member that participated in the kill (like the raids), that way you don't have people hogging the NM.

Though I don't see how any Roaming NM will be that challenging if you can have 40+ people attacking it.
    IDK I'm sure they'll figure out a good way to please everyone.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Saga Gemini
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 60
    [2] on Copy FFXI.
    But no crazy 24h+ timers. That was ridiculous.
    Maybe 2h? Or forced popped HNMs?
    (2)

Page 8 of 117 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 108 ... LastLast