Player
    Character
    Jasmine Clayworth
    World
    Spriggan
    Main Class
    Blue Mage Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyvernheart View Post
    I for one just wanted more hair styles. Gotta say though, some of you seemed to take having characters with Hebrew or black features negatively.
    I don't think people are disagreeing with idea of having those features, just the OP's way of expressing her desire for such.
    (15)

Player
    Character
    Wondrous Waifu
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 90
    It's hard to add a lot of facial diversity when your game doesn't make use of sliders for angles, sizes, width, depth etc. Sure you can have a lot of static models that you can switch between but that will always be limited by itself without sliders. Hair is another issue and I suspect part of the reason they haven't done more curly styles or braids is because they can't get it to look right or up to their standards. Or they may just not be exploring it, no idea.

Either way I think labeling it and making into a purely racial issue is heavy handed, and labeling facial features as "Black lips" or "white lips" etc is pretty unhelpful to any case you're trying to make when you're talking about race. It's not very hard to say fuller lips, wider noses, flatter noses and so on.

As for the skin tones themselves I've never had much an an issue with them, more would always be better but I've never felt too held back by what we have, but that's just me personally.
    At the end of the day though I'm sure everyone would love more options, whether it's to make the character look more like themselves, or more options to make your own character, and there's nothing wrong with that.
    (7)

Player
    Character
    Nandina Rose
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by KaivaC View Post
    See, with this statement right here, it lets me know that you feel it's a race issue, when it's really not. This is a non issue. If you want to achieve a certain look, you have the options to do so. Limited options, yes, but it is still possible to get a look that your hoping could be representative
    If people use it being a Japanese MMO for their reasoning as to why there isn’t any diversity, and I respond that SE isn’t just marketing their MMO only to Japan, how can you sit up here and take umbrage when I reason that they should think about their audience outside of Japan? And if the options were available to do so, the thread wouldn’t exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrie_Lenneth View Post
    I wouldn't say it has a race problem, as all the games races are pretty well represented, and you can choose your skin color to be whatever you want.

racial characteristics from the real world shouldn't apply, as the game doesn't denote races by color. Stop looking for racial issues where they don't exist, it makes it harder to fight for them where they do actually exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by KaivaC View Post
    They started off fine, but when something like this is said, they are just inviting themselves to criticism over an unnecessary response.

If you were fine with how it started off, why were you fine with Valkyrie_Lenneth’s comment? This is why I mentioned real life, because Valkyrie_Lenneth mentioned the real world, and from there it somehow spiraled into me wanting my character to look EXACTLY like me in the real world, which isn’t the argument I made. I’m sure none of us could recreate ourselves, including those players who are white. But those players who are white could at least make a character who is noticeably white, even if the character doesn’t look like them. It’s like playing darts. Even if I don’t hit a bullseye, I at least want to hit the board if I’m going to be bothered to play. Meaning, that character doesn’t have to look 100% like me, but I at least would want the option to customize my character in a way I can at least relate to.

The retaliation comes from people saying this isn’t the real world, and using that to justify why other facial characteristics and hair types can’t be represented. So you mean to tell me that in a world where there are people noticeably inhuman with horns, tails, and scales; asking for kinky/curly hairstyles, other face types, and a non-ashy skin tone which could be done in a mere patch is asking for too much because this isn’t real life? Fine, SE is too lazy to implement the face changes, but it doesn’t justify the response about “this not being the real world”. Like obviously, lol. But that same reasoning isn’t applied when it comes time to explaining why Europoean features are the standard. SE literally patches the game all the time. Why can’t this be updated again?

This isn’t about just me. I’m speaking up for others, because the reality is there are other people who have the same complaints as me. I don’t know if you’re knowledgeable about makeup, but you can’t replicate for example a NC44 in Mac, or a 330 in Fenty with the in-game color grid, and many of the options are identical. If you go too far to the right, you get too dark; if you go too far to the left, you get too light. There’s no middle ground, which means that no, you can’t be any color you want. And with the options available, the undertones could at least be fixed when going vertically. People are walking through Eorzea covered in baby powder, lol.

But my question is why haven’t you disagreed with people using the real world as an argument against it, but then when I respond, you only say I’m making it about race, lol. I never denied anyone the right to be represented or spoke out against anyone’s representation, nor have I justified why anyone else shouldn’t be represented. That however happened to me, and that’s fucked. You and others, are trying to gaslight me. But it’s whatever. I stand by my points. The OP was actually pretty jokey hence my use of “dookie dreads” and “in severe need of lotion”. It was Valkyrie_Lenneth, who trivialized the point I made, and said that I was making it racial issue when there wasn’t one, and essentially speaking up unnecessarily. But you agreed with how I started off, but didn’t take issue with that. I guess. It was really me just saying, okay we need a few improvements here. I never called anyone racist, bigoted, or anything of the sort; if anything I simply highlighted an issue of underrepresentation. Using make up again as an example, there was a time when the different shades you see in a department store weren’t available. Did that make the department stores racist? No. In many of those instances, the department stores didn’t know black and brown women wore make up, so didn’t bother to release shades for them. When it was known, this changed and we have the current beauty industry we have today. Meaning, that maybe SE isn’t in touch with a significant portion of their player base, but if I or no one else speaks up, they’ll never implement changes. But when I did speak up, nearly everyone shot it down because “it isn’t the real world”.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrie_Lenneth View Post

For the record, I don't have any problems with them adding customization options to character creation. I have a problem with people saying the game is racist because they can't choose specific features on their character on the race they want.
    No one said the game was racist. Your mind was so quick to go into defense mode, that you’re fighting against a claim no one made. It says “Character Creation Has A Race Problem”. What is that race problem? Underrepresentation. Underrepresentation isn’t racist in and of itself. Now if they were out here giving people Jinx and Mr. Popo lips, I’d say it was racist. So now people are acting like they don’t know what racism is or isn’t. I have not once claimed the game to be disparaging to a group of people, so wtf are you talking about? And clearly you do have an issue with added customization, because your response is that “it’s a fantasy game, why does it have to match humanity on racial features”. Please be consistent.

If anything, I said “So you mean to tell me that my black and brown friends are good enough to receive a subscription from, but not good enough to have the character creation cater to them as well?” I 100% stand by that, because common sense dictates that you cater to your audience, especially if they’re paying you. Using makeup as an example again, you would not open a Sephora in Lagos, Nigeria; but only have pale shades, and if you do have darker shades, you wouldn’t have it so that only 20% of the demographic can find something that matches them. That’s speaking to underrepresentation, not racism.
    (7)
    Last edited by Nandina; 07-12-2018 at 04:50 PM.

Character
    Malina Loma
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Nandina View Post
    snip.
    I'll continue to stand by your cause and I could relate to everything you've said. And I agree that "the real world" argument is a weak one, very weak. Fact is, in FFXIV, there are white people, there are asian people, and there are black people, few however. And Hyurs are humans. Just.. come on.

On another note, I noticed a lack ginger people as well! And curly/wavy non-african hairstyles. Those people are also left out.
    (8)

Player
    Character
    Jasmine Clayworth
    World
    Spriggan
    Main Class
    Blue Mage Lv 70
    wall o' text
    Sorry to say but this game, or any game for that matter, doesn't need to be diverse or inclusive to anyone. This is a work of fiction and in being such can be whatever the creator intends it to be. Just because SE is marketing the game outside of Japan doesn't mean they need to cater to anyone. It's their product to do with as they please just like it's your money to support said product or not. It's called the free market for a reason. Just because other games may have "more diverse options" doesn't mean this game has to have them.
    (24)
    Last edited by Joven; 07-12-2018 at 08:06 PM.

Player

snip.
    I haven't addressed valkyrie at all. Matter of fact, the only people I've responded to were you and Magic-Mal. I'm responding to you because you are the OP. The thing is, you say you want to hit at least hit the dart board... But you can. Hyur and Roes can... I've done it before I settled on Au Ra. Hairstyle is another issue that's not necessarily about race... More like, the devs probably just settled on hairstyles inspired by previous FF games, contests, and whatever probably felt popular. We all already know the nightmare in trying to get more hairstyles. You turned this into a racial thing when you initially said that the creation tools we had leans towards Caucasian aesthetics. You set that tone and everybody is reacting to that. I'm not everybody. But I do disagree about the whole underrepresentation thing that you keep claiming.
    (16)

Player
    Character
    Lucinda Blossom
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 90
    As a black person, I only create black characters unless there’s no option for it. Personally, it just makes me feel more comfortable playing something kinda like myself. While I would appreciate more ‘black’ hairstyles, it’s not a race issue. SE has been rather bad at adding a wide range of hairstyles overall.

Even though a game is fiction, so are other games, and they still manage to have a wide variety of styles - including some ‘black’ ones. Nevertheless I wouldn’t go around chanting that there’s purposely under-representation.
    (18)

Player
    Character
    Leo Lupinos
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 90
    Today's character creator does not represent FFXIV successfulness.
    I really would like them to invest more into it.
    They can take money from FFXIV to make FF7 Remake, KH3 etc but can't make a proper character creator, ok.
    (6)

Player
    Character
    Nonononono Nonononono
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Samurai Lv 90
    It's not moot. SE shouldn't market it outside of Japan, and want subscribers outside of Japan if they aren't willing to represent their subscriber base. FFXIV should just be a strictly Japanese MMO.
    XD HAHHA... life lesson Japanese companies only care about Japanese markets, they may advertise to global market but only consider themselves a failure if it fails in Japan. Much like mainly SE only make changes if the JP player-base is largely complaining, rarely do they do things when its the global players complaining.

Also it's a fantasy game & FF series is well known for being European in design of it's various worlds as most games are typically in medieval like times thus all knights & architecture design looking very European & comparing this to other MMOs is awful every MMO is varied in what focus on & what the CAN focus on, the XIV don't have liberties to add tonne of stuff without doing major overhaul to game on side which would take a resources/another team to fix if want keep XIV running at same time so expect 0 changes to character creator anytime soon.
    This problem left to us of them just building off of 1.0 instead building from ground up.

It'd be nice have ton more options as big fan of character creators like BDO/Souls etc love more options but.. its just never going happen.
    (6)
    A system error occurred during event movement.

Player
    Character
    Peony Foxbriar
    World
    Louisoix
    Main Class
    Monk Lv 55
    So, I've been tempted to use a Fantasia, and change from Miqo'te, so I started playing around with the character creation, and the lack of diversity is abysmal. I wanted to make a Hyur female, but I can't help but notice there isn't much wiggle room. There's only one cute braided mohawk style, and some dookie dreads. Where are the curly or even kinky hair styles? There are no flat twists, no cornrows, no box braids, no senegalese twists, no two strand twists, etc. I thought there was an afro option, but I didn't see that either. Under the nose options, there's are no truly wider options (I'm not saying the nose has to take up the entire face). There are no larger fuller lips. Skin tones run either cool or red, and there are absolutely no yellow undertones. Many of the little boxes on the skin color grid are virtually indistinguishable from the ones at least four spaces from them vertically, making them a waste. On brown skin tones, this makes the character appear ashy and in severe need of lotion. Skin tone alone is not diversity. Sure you can make your character Sudanese black, but if the nose and lips are slim and thin, is it really a black person? No.

Releasing multiple hairstyles is cute, but when are we going to get some new faces, noses, lips, and eyebrows that don't harken back to the late 90s and early 2000s? There's nothing wrong with a thicker brow. I bring this up, because there are many black and brown people who play this game, yet the character creation only caters to one demographic for the most part, and that's white. Ironically, I don't even see Asian faces despite this being a Japanese game. So you mean to tell me that my black and brown friends are good enough to receive a subscription from, but not good enough to have the character creation cater to them as well? I'm biracial (black mom, Russian dad) and while I'm not dark skinned I don't have thin lips and sharp facial features.

I already know some people are going to be in their feelings about this, and that's fine.
    OP, did you just look at Hyur midlander? I'd recommend female highlander, some of their character options have nice dark skintones, and some of the face options have decent sized lips. Sadly until they add more options, we gotta make the best with what we've got I have to agree though, and it's not just ffxiv, some of the dark skin tones look... weird, or off, I noticed that's it's the way the lighting is in some games (having played redguard in Skyrim). Have you tried using reshade within ffxiv? Tweaking that might improve skin tone.
    (8)

Page 8 of 61 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 ... LastLast