Player
    Character
    Sam Kaar
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 70

FFXIV Successor MMO (FFXVII?) Hinted at

Oh man, they're alreadying hinting at the next MMO after XIV. I guess it's no surprise given we're halfway now through the 10 year plan for the game but dang lol https://www.vgr.com/final-fantasy-xiv-successor-hinted-at-in-square-enix-survey/
    (7)

Player
    Character
    Boo Box
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Sage Lv 90
    The idea intrigues me, but honestly I think at this point I'm a bit hesitant to try another MMO by SE.
    (29)
    Last edited by Skivvy; 06-29-2018 at 06:14 AM.

Player
    Character
    Crushing Fatigue
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 70
    I took the survey and frankly it felt less like they were plotting a successor MMO and more trying to figure out better ways to monetize this one and provide content going forward. Having three MMO's running concurrently would just cannibalize their own industry, so I doubt they're even caring enough to make a successor to FFXIV when it's still exceedingly successful.
    (45)

Player
    Character
    Song Sparrow
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 90
    With Enla on this one, I highly doubt they'd make another MMO while XIV is still doing so well and even XI is still bringing in income. They've made it clear with XI that they're riding this horse into the ground.
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Ilyrian Silvermoon
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    I do wonder if the MMO genre has run its course though. The numbers for this game aren't great in the grand scheme of things - and we'll never see the heights that WoW reached at its peak.
    With the the success of the cash shops etc - I wonder if its actually financially viable to produce an old-school MMO for any company anymore.
    I say this as an old-school MMO player - I want them to succeed but I wonder if there are the numbers anymore or if the entire concept is even attractive to the newer generation of gamers.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Song Sparrow
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilyrian View Post
    I do wonder if the MMO genre has run its course though. The numbers for this game aren't great in the grand scheme of things - and we'll never see the heights that WoW reached at its peak.
    People have been saying MMOs are a dying genre for years but somehow they haven't died yet and continue to be successful.

I do think we'll see a shift in how MMOs are played, though. Subscriptions for MMOs are very nearly dead and I'm expecting we'll see more in the way of cash shop purchases as well as game design that works with shorter, less dedicated play periods. Online gaming and RPGs are still both very attractive but the whole design of an MMO being a "job" is on its way out.

Ultimately the big problem with current MMOs is that there's a LOT of them and it's very, very difficult to actively play more than one MMO because as they are currently they are a huge time investment.
    (17)

cerise leclaire
    (bad omnicrafter & terrible astrologian)

Player
    Character
    Ilyrian Silvermoon
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Elamys View Post
    People have been saying MMOs are a dying genre for years but somehow they haven't died yet and continue to be successful.

I do think we'll see a shift in how MMOs are played, though. Subscriptions for MMOs are very nearly dead and I'm expecting we'll see more in the way of cash shop purchases as well as game design that works with shorter, less dedicated play periods. Online gaming and RPGs are still both very attractive but the whole design of an MMO being a "job" is on its way out.
    Fair point - I suppose, for me, the death of MMOs is when they all go free to play and real cash can buy you anything.
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Odintius Baelsar
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 80
    Don't even consider this a mmo to me its a mo feature game with a single player story campaign the rest is standing around waiting to que up in a area you consider a hub for to do instance content. /Shrugs
    (11)

Player
    Character
    Mimiji Miji
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    Is it bad that I suggested a Ivalice MMORPG on the survey? >w>
    (9)

Player
    Character
    Remedi Maxwell
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Enla View Post
    I took the survey and frankly it felt less like they were plotting a successor MMO and more trying to figure out better ways to monetize this one and provide content going forward. Having three MMO's running concurrently would just cannibalize their own industry, so I doubt they're even caring enough to make a successor to FFXIV when it's still exceedingly successful.
    I agree feels like more prodding what to do
    (1)

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast