Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Gumbercules Thesecond
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Miner Lv 80
    The issue is that FF 14 Bard is more "archer with bard skills" than the other way around. To add to this a pure bard doesn't work for the game as it is. Best we can see is maybe a gunner class that's long range sam maybe? were it is all about massive pot, while having minimal/none group utility. Personally i like the bard in ff 14 as it is "explained" into being (since i agree with some of your points about "bard" overall being a wacky idea in general for combat) So in that regard it is a ranged attacker that supports the troops as well :P
    (1)

Character
    Tifa's Soulstone
    World
    Zodiark
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisagami View Post
    LOL! I get it, but I was originally an Au Ra but at higher levels the bows got more and more ridiculously giant and I was like meh, change to lalafel. I’m small, cute, and our bows aren’t gigantic.
    My favorite bow is the elven-like pvp one - totally reminds me to LoR, like it a lot. :3
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Burn Cykle
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 70
    I see where you are coming from with the asthetics for Bard, or rather the idea of how it buffs through songs.

Every time I put on a piece of gear, I cringe to myself. I laugh at little every time I pull out my flute to play Foe's as a boss is dropping a 20k AOE on the whole party (cause yeah, playing the flute while all your friends come to the brink of death is extremely apprpriate); but its "meh" to me. A little wacky and out of place, but it doesn't detract from my experience enough to complain.

As a class and playstyle, I think Bard is amazingly fun to play and I like where we are at and what we are capable of doing. I feel like going to a class that is strictly damage with a Bow, while keeping it from just feeling like a bastardized Bard at this point, would be difficult to pull off.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Jaeger Strauss
    World
    Goblin
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 63
    I'm glad a lot of people like it, I really am. I am still probably going to level after I finish mch just because I'm not digging and of the ranged casters. Who knows, maybe like someone said above, ill stop noticing it so much after I play it more. I really appreciate the civility in this thread!!
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Forgotten Scholar
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 80
    I am totally with OP I am not one for the role of bard, never have been. I am not musical and the prospect of playing a role that is built from lvl 30 to use songs to support and bolster my party isn't appealing in the slightest, let alone the rather flamboyant gear they have for BRD.
    As a compromise I would like to see BST be a bow type role that is along the lines of Hunter from WOW with your pet as the tank, or dps for parties and you with the bow dealing dmg that compliments the other two range melee jobs.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Tani Shirai
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by HyoMinPark View Post
    There is a very large can of worms regarding the Arcanist split into Summoner and Scholar though. The developers have stated they’ll never do that again with another job because of the issues ACN>SMN/SCH has had.
    A very large can of worms they opened by not allowing for separate Job EXP on forking classes...

I guess I just don't get how a development team can blame a concept as a whole for their finding the one way to make a crippling precedent through their short-sighted implementation.
    (2)
    Last edited by Shurrikhan; 01-14-2018 at 04:57 PM.

Player
    Character
    Jyn Willowsong
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Shurrikhan View Post
    A very large can of worms they opened by not allowing for separate Job EXP on forking classes...

I guess I just don't get how a development team can blame a concept as a whole for their finding the one way to make a crippling precedent through their short-sighted implementation.
    I mean the shared EXP isn't the issue but go off I guess.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Tem Saris
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 80
    every group needs a bard. the crit buff is insane.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Dal S'ta
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 90
    Once you've accessed the glamour game, 'flamboyant gear' becomes personal style, Bard or no...

As for songs ... You have to realize that their purpose is to enhance everyone's damage in a way that no other job could successfully perform. Might not be your own style, but I enjoy being able to start that wonderful sequence for more damage with a few GCDs followed by almost pure bow-and-arrow damage.

I play ranged in most MMOs. Not having to worry about pet mechanics is wonderful in a game where you would get absolutely no thanks for pet tanking in a dungeon instance.

If you are only looking for highest DPS, choose whatever job the current meta decrees. I doubt SE will add yet another ranged DPS to the game any time soon.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Duvvvv Starflux
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    a new bow-wielding job would be an interesting addition. one game I liked the Hunter class mechanics of was LotRO. long bows and crossbows have different stats (one has higher raw dmg, the other faster dps), ability to set traps, ability to set campfire (like additional teleport nodes), and melee skills based on 2ndary weaponry (I personally prefer spears). I think I didn't like arc here because I was used to the glass canon type where the playstyle is kill before the mob gets near. pretty much what I liked with the casters. hence I play mostly casters but the mobility is great, maybe someday I'll level it up.
    (0)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast