Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Player

Newbie Arcanist/Summoner looking for help

Alright...now that I've gotten the classes I want leveled, it's time to go after the next class that intrigues/intimidates me.

I'm revisiting the ARC/SMN class, however, with pet management, I feel it might intimidate me a bit. Can experienced summoners give me tips, "rotation" ideas, and advice on how to manage my pet? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Maximum Powerful
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 90
    usually with Ifrit you can leave it on sic. Titan is only useful pre-50 doing stuff solo. Once you get powerful enough with your abilities you will be ripping hate off him super easily. As for Garuda you'll want it on obey so that it doesn't use its knockback for regular content as that's annoying. you will want to control its use for bosses as most cannot be knocked back, and for using contagion. although these days more ppl are using ifrit-sic for everything.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Hyomin Park
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Sage Lv 90
    I don’t really have any beginner guide resources, but I do have these for when you get closer to 70 for you to revisit at that time. I’m trying to “re-learn” SMN since I haven’t played it since around 3.4 in HW, and it’s entirely different now in SB. But here’s the sources I’ve been looking at for level 70 play (for whenever you get there).

This is sort of a generic FAQ; it also has a lot of links to other sources.
    This is a basic rotation/opener guide.
    This is more advanced, in the event you find you enjoy the job and would like to optimize it for raiding in the future.
    (2)
    Sage | Astrologian | Dancer

마지막 날 널 찾아가면
    마지막 밤 기억하길

Hyomin Park#0055

Player
    Character
    Alinhbo Rhiki
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 90
    For open world solo I would use Titan or Garuda. Which one depends upon your level in relation to the mob and how many enemies you have to deal with. More or less it is Titan when squishy or there are more than a couple of enemies. I also use him for B ranks until I out gear them. Once I am equal to or out gear the mobs I will usually use Garuda as the faster they go down the less damage I take. I don't use Ifrit solo as he tends to take more damage being melee and needs more time spent on Sustain. The exception on Ifrit was if I am with an independent group or in a party. For these situations I use Ifrit for the Radiant Shield buff. I followed this all of the way up to level 70.

For dungeons and raids I pretty much use Ifrit exclusively for the Radiant Shield buff. I switch to Garuda if Ifrit isn't getting healed (whether by the healer or too many Sustains) during heavy enemy AoE fights. I will also switch to Garuda sometimes if we have multiple Summoners or mostly casters for Contagion but this is rare. Rightly or wrongly I use Ifrit on automatic. Garuda tends to be mostly on Obey in dungeons/raids or on automatic when solo in the open world.

As far as rotations here are some links:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...3LQBPy1E/edit#

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...y0TrCa0qg/edit
    (1)
    Last edited by Claviusnex; 01-04-2018 at 07:29 AM.

Player

Alright...I'll go ahead and give these suggestions and links a try. I'm so used to rotations, but the whole pet thing felt a little complicated (which is funny, considering I've taken SAM to 70 without a guide and have some experience with DRG). I've gotten a little more comfortable, but I know the real part lies with SMN. I'll have the job unlocked tomorrow.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Ohlala Chico
    World
    Zodiark
    Main Class
    Alchemist Lv 90
    imo only use Garuda in real raids (when boss moves around a lot, or have 2 or more casters, or is aoe heavy), IF you can use "obey" on Garuda (!)... otherwise just go Ifrite "synced"..

(I'm ps4, trying obey means for me; cant take anyother cross class skills or even rez.., .. besides hate the "lagging"/Q-ing of the pet commands too, so I just always go Ifrite synced, which is Ok,.. but cant obtain the same level as my blm)
    (0)
    Last edited by Shiroe; 01-05-2018 at 06:08 AM.

Player
    Character
    Draco'li Tayuun
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 80
    It isn't as intimitating as it looks. For starters your pet will not die or take damage except if it gets hit directly or by a physical aoe. That is usually solo content or a small number of bosses as most use magic based aoe attacks that Ifrit can stay in without taking damage.

As for individual egis beyond Garuda they are all on sic and require very little micro management. Garuda is the odd ball as it is best on obey so you stop the knockback and control when contagion goes up. Dps wise though it has been proven more beneficial to us Ifrit in most groups unless you have a good amount of magic based dps as contagion only boosts magic.

Best thing to do is get use to your summons early on and try things out.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Kamen Breaker
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 90
    Barely anyone uses Garuda. It's a DPS loss because you're better off with Ifrit because he procs ruin IV more often. The only pets you need on obey are the dps ones. The tank ones, Titan/topaz, are fine and generally work better on their own.
    You honestly have no reason to summon Garuda. None of it's attacks have the same potency or support that Ifrit gives. All of Ifrit's attacks are above 100 in terms of potency and it's Enkindle attack is twice as powerful. When you're soloing anything you're better off with Titan as it's a lot safer. With the return of sustain soloing fates and other content is possible. You just have to remember not to summon bahamut when you only have titan between you and the boss.
    (0)
    https://www.deviantart.com/kamenkuro

Player

Okay...here is what I've gotten thus far. After getting my SMN to Lvl 35, I caved in and bought a jump potion to hit 60. I've been running PoTD just to get a general feel of the class beforehand, and while I did take a look at the guide, a lot of this won't apply til I hit 70, though I know as I unlock more skills, it'll be much more relevant and I will practice them as I gain levels. So, this is generally what I'm using at Lvl 60. Please let me know if I'm screwing something up, or where I can improve at (btw, I am wearing the Shire Philosopher set that came with the jump).

The vast majority of the time, Ifrit is out. Before a pull, I will do this:

Aetherflow, Rouse.

During a pull for multiple targets: Tri-Disaster>Bane/Enkindle/Shadow Flare>Painflare>Tri-Bind until oGCD is available>Painflare>repeat Tri-Bind until oGCD is ready>Painflare>DWT>Ruin 3 until about a second before DWT is up>Tri-Diaster>Deathflare>Aetherflow when available (I find myself waiting for Aetherflow to come back up after this)

For single targets: Tri-Disaster>Fester/Enkindle/Shadow Flare>Ruin 3s>Painflare>Ruin 3s>Painflare>DWT>Ruin 3s until a second before DWT is up>Tri-Disaster>Death Flare

Pretty sure it's not optimal, but it's tough finding a rotation for 4.1 SMN at level 60. Seeing a rotations that include Quelling Strikes, which SMN doesn't have access to.
    (0)
    Last edited by KaivaC; 01-08-2018 at 06:04 PM.

Player
    Character
    Ursa Nightrain
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 90
    I don't really go on a strict rotation for SMN. I mostly just focus on setting up and maintaining DoTs while throwing in whatever's proc'd and punching out as many Ruin 3's that I can during Dreadwyrm (for single-targets anyway) or just going right to Deathflare so I get Bahamut faster (this for mobs mostly). Because my SMN has 3 hotbars, I don't use the pet hotbar--sacrilege I know. I pretty much use Ifrit for everything unless the boss is going to be all over the place, and never Titan (though I am going to start using him for Alliance roulette since OT's NEVER PICK UP ADDS *screams*) unless yeah. Worldmap.

They've changed SMN so that if you have 3 stacks of Aetherflow and it comes off CD, you can't use it to regain MP or... anything until you get rid of your stacks. It's super annoying. Just mentioning it in case you remember it the way it was--but if you were still Archanist, it probably doesn't matter.

So, melt things with DoT... -Oh, don't forget about your Raise utility. Yeah yeah, RDM is awesome but SMN's don't have to do any follow-up healing (mostly because they can't, really) so you can get someone up and get right back to DPS'ing. And still be a hero. *Thumbsup*
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast