Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    Player
    Character
    A'syree Sato
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Monk Lv 90
    Personally the way I tank is based around how well I know the dungeon. If I've run it before (whether that be DPS, Healer, Tank, etc) and know the enemy spawns then I'll pull big. If I'm new to it or havn't been in the dungeon in a long time I'll usually pull smaller just so I don't risk a wipe.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Amphelice Shepard
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonseth07 View Post
    You have a team counting on you, and they expect good play.
    The optimization you're talking about kind of amounts to clocking in and out on time at the tanking factory. That's not really teamwork.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Ace Ark
    World
    Malboro
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    I only don't enjoy big pulls if it's clear that 1 role or the other isn't well geared to contribute accordingly.
    If a tank is still undergeared/inexperienced, they're just gonna take loads of damage making it difficult to heal through.
    If a healer is still undergeared/inexperienced, they can't heal effectively through all the damage.
    If one DPS is undergeared its still manageable but if both are very undergeared/inexperienced then things just might die very slowly and may push the tank and healer over their available resources for surviving while there's incoming giant chunks of damage as 90% of the mob is still alive.

But yeah in my opinion pull big if your group looks good for handling it.
    (1)

Character
    Rastiana Bel'briar
    World
    Malboro
    Main Class
    Samurai Lv 90
    Smaller pulls give more leeway for the unexpected like the healers kid irl suddenly screaming like they're being killed in another room or someones dogs going berserk... doorbells and phones ring... you're less likely to wipe in a smaller pulls when real life comes crashing in... remember you're playing with real people with their own real lives... 10 mins longer isn't going to hurt anyone and if you really feel it is perhaps you need to take a step back from games for awhile...
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Lodestone Bait
    World
    Pandaemonium
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Okamimaru View Post
    you're less likely to wipe in a smaller pulls when real life comes crashing in...
    So? When real life comes crashing in, it's completely irrelevant if you wipe or not, because one of your party members will be busy in real life for a while anyway. Chances are, by the time you come back, the people have already respawned and are waiting. Depending on your role, they might even proceed with small pulls on their own, because you don't need a tank or extra DPS for small pulls in the first place.

Moreover, the less time you spend in content, the lower the chance for emergencies to happen while inside content. You get more time to spend in real life in general, which is probably a good idea anyway if it's busy enough for you to consider such things in your daily habits.

Your argument is backwards.
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Argyle Darkheart
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 90
    remember you're playing with real people with their own real lives...
    Let's throw your argument right back at you: what if they prefer taking less time in game in order to accommodate their real life time constraints?

10 mins longer isn't going to hurt anyone and if you really feel it is perhaps you need to take a step back from games for awhile...
    You can't possibly know that. Why do you get to decide how valuable peoples' time is?
    (4)

Character
    Rastiana Bel'briar
    World
    Malboro
    Main Class
    Samurai Lv 90
    Thanks for another reason to quit tanking
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Vespereaux Vaillantes
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Smaller pulls give more leeway for the unexpected like the healers kid irl suddenly screaming like they're being killed in another room or someones dogs going berserk... doorbells and phones ring... you're less likely to wipe in a smaller pulls when real life comes crashing in... remember you're playing with real people with their own real lives...
    Those types of occurrences are pretty darn rare in my experience, like less than a 1% level of frequency.

I don't think it really makes sense to adjust downwards and do small pulls every time in the off-chance that something that occurs so infrequently may happen. In the rare situation in which a party member has something suddenly happen irl that causes their play to become interrupted and leads to a wipe, I'd rather just take the wipe and let the person sort out their situation and then keep going once they are back. Choosing to have one run out of many take a little longer because of a wipe caused by an unexpected rl event is a much better option imo than having things take longer every time due to always defaulting to small pulls.

10 mins longer isn't going to hurt anyone and if you really feel it is perhaps you need to take a step back from games for awhile...
    Okay, so I have been seeing responses like this thrown out quite a bit in threads like this and to be blunt I find them to be utterly ridiculous.

You are basically saying that people, such as myself, that have a good amount of real life responsibilities and therefore are required to budget their time well should just not play video games. I'm sorry, but my time is valuable to me because it is limited and to be told that I should just not bother to spend time engaging in an activity that I enjoy simply because my time is limited and I don't like people wasting it selfishly. That's pretty condescending. You say that players should be considerate of the fact that the other people in their group are real people with real lives, yet you brush aside the fact that real people with real lives often have real life responsibilities and schedules that they need to adhere to. That is a very one-sided point of view to take, saying that people should accommodate for what you think is important or your situation, but screw other people with their different situation they should just not bother to play.

If people are new to something or are still learning I will of course adjust for them and take the time necessary for the group as a whole to succeed, however if someone is inconsiderate of my time and decides they can use it up however they want and I should just deal, I will take issue with that.

Simply put, we should all be considerate of each other, our various situations and learn to be accommodating, whether it is slowing down a run to not overwhelm a new player or doing our best to not take up more of another player's time than necessary. Interacting with other people and working as a team should never be a one way street. Pleading with people that they should be considerate and then turning around and not being considerate of other people is ridiculous.
    (5)
    Last edited by TouchandFeel; 09-23-2017 at 02:18 AM.

Player
    Character
    Gravton Pentest
    World
    Diabolos
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 80
    Hahaha. I love the "I quit tanking" or "you're the reason I quit" responses. Your in a tank forum, talking to other tanks. Most of us don't care if you quit. We're tanks! You quitting doesn't affect our que times. The cherry on top is tanks quitting because they can't handle a little hate.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Argyle Darkheart
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 90
    Thanks for another reason to quit tanking
    Maybe you should quit posting on an open forum if you can't handle even the slightest bit of criticism without devolving into melodrama.
    (7)

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 LastLast