Player
    Character
    Cyan Genesis
    World
    Masamune
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50

So..Lets talk jobs?

Jobs are probably the thing I am most excited for in these series of battle reform patches. I see people either supporting the idea or bashing it left and right. I have not really seen however(atleast in its own topic) what people think the jobs WILL be.
    So..rather than argueing about the job system, anyone care to speculate on which jobs we may get? I'll start.

I'm going to assume that all jobs will have the weapon of the base class.

Gladiator- Paladin. This seems strongly hinted at, if not more.

Pugilist - Monk. Seems like a no brainer, even if PUG seems to be part thief.

Marauder- This one has me lost. I don't really know what job really fits in with a great axe. Sure Dark Knight has been mentioned, but it seems like a bit of a stretch. Other ideas I had were Warrior(albeit a little pointless, in my opinion), and perhaps Pirate(Not likely, but hey, great-axe weilding Pirates would be cool.)

Archer- Again, not sure. Ranger seems like it would be likely. Although I wonder, how exactly is an archer supposed to specialize in something other than..ranged attacks? Hm. Another curious question.

Lancer- Dragoon maybe? Although I guess I can't really imagine Dragoon being done without a dragon anymore(even though I guess it could be added in later.) Dragoon just strikes me as an odd first-round job. But there's my ffxi bias leaking in I suppose.

Conjurer- Black Mage. Fairly sure about that because...

Thaumaturge-White Mage. Because A) Thaumaturge's are by definition healers in a sense, B) 1:1 ratio on jobs currently, and C) White Mage seems like a basic need. I don't think they would add in Black Mage without White Mage. Although I'm not sure how this would work with THM's current setup. Guess that will come when classes get tinkered on.

Thoughts? Opinions? Irritated Replies?
    Also, apologies if I have missed a topic like this that has already been posted.

Player

Thaumaturge - Necromancer. Eaither rasing armies of undead, debuffing enemies and transffering life. From enemies to you and party and from you to party.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Renshi Hyatsuki
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 70
    Marauder - Viking, of course!
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Zanfire Leoz
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 60
    im generally not a fan that each weapon = only 1 class. what you have in your suggestions are pretty much what most of those classes are, with some minor changes, which seems kind of meh. I think the fact that the classes right now are limited to the weapon they have kind of hurts the "jobs" system they want to do. Your always stuck with that one weapon means you cant branch the jobs. ex: GLD could be PLD and DRK, but having all of them use a sword only kind of makes them feel no different.

Though i guess they could always down the line make weapons like say a "scythe" that is GLD/DRK to use it, the only thing that the GLD form gets that makes it different is only weaponskills, where as the DRK gets all of his special skills.
    (0)

Gladiator > Paladin most likely.

Conjurer > WHM and/or BLM is most likely.

Thaumaturge > SCH and/or WHM is most likely.

Archer > Ranger and/or Musketeer is most likely.

Lancer > Dragoon

Marauder > Warrior/Berserker most likely. DRK is possible but..DRK is now linked with Great Sword/Scythe in the FF universe.

Pugilist > THF and/or MNK. Both jobs utilized H2H combat (THF excelled in Dagger obviously) and both are agile fighters.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Cyan Genesis
    World
    Masamune
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanfire View Post
    im generally not a fan that each weapon = only 1 class. what you have in your suggestions are pretty much what most of those classes are, with some minor changes, which seems kind of meh. I think the fact that the classes right now are limited to the weapon they have kind of hurts the "jobs" system they want to do. Your always stuck with that one weapon means you cant branch the jobs. ex: GLD could be PLD and DRK, but having all of them use a sword only kind of makes them feel no different.

Though i guess they could always down the line make weapons like say a "scythe" that is GLD/DRK to use it, the only thing that the GLD form gets that makes it different is only weaponskills, where as the DRK gets all of his special skills.
    That is kinda why I put the "assuming each job uses its base class weapons"

I'm not really a big fan of 1 weapon = 1 class either, but I think it is safe to say that that is how it will be, atleast upon the first release of the system.

And..if the new system allows us to switch around weapons..I will be very pleasently surprised.

Player
    Character
    Corrderio Arseid
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 90
    This is a concept I came up with not too long ago:

http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/7889/xivjobidea.png

Blue = Class/Weapon is in the game data according to that leaked chart someone made around the time the game was in beta.

Red = New ideas I came up with.

I know daggers are a gladiator weapon, but I'm hoping they drop them form gladiator and use them for another class. I'd go with a scimitar class to, but can't think of a job that would work with scimitars and be different from gladiator either.
    (1)
    Last edited by Corrderio; 06-27-2011 at 07:29 AM.

Player
    Character
    Julie Nymphiel
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by iniside View Post
    Thaumaturge - Necromancer. Eaither rasing armies of undead, debuffing enemies and transffering life. From enemies to you and party and from you to party.
    Doubtful. The only instance of Necromancer as Job in Final Fantays history was because of a single player game being remade by an american dev team for the DS. It was never in any of the original japanese versions. And it wasn't a very impressive job the one time it did show up.
    (0)
    I have to thank Square-Enix for the amazing job they have done recreating Final Fantasy XIV from Scratch. Especially the inclusion of Missing Genders which we petitioned for in good faith. This was proof to us players that the Developers are truly Sympathetic to our requests and that being honest and vocal can pay off with the amazing characters we have who are Female Roegadyn, Male Miqote, and Female Highlanders. Thank You SE, Thank You Community Team, Thank You Yoshi-P.

Player
    Character
    Zenaku Yamada
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Cairdeas View Post
    Doubtful. The only instance of Necromancer as Job in Final Fantays history was because of a single player game being remade by an american dev team for the DS. It was never in any of the original japanese versions. And it wasn't a very impressive job the one time it did show up.
    Necromancer was going to be added in FFXI but they made PUP and pup is not even in the final fantasy history. Reason for it was due to the skellies only pop at night which would mess up the idea of necromancer.

now the question is would it make any sense in ffxiv.
    (2)
    Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together Autographed By "Akihiko Yoshida Tarot Card Sweepstakes Winner

Player
    Character
    Laura Palmer
    World
    Ultros
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenaku View Post
    Necromancer was going to be added in FFXI but they made PUP and pup is not even in the final fantasy history. Reason for it was due to the skellies only pop at night which would mess up the idea of necromancer.

now the question is would it make any sense in ffxiv.
    Not likely. In the Ul'Dah storyline there's a whole deal about trying to find a way to communicate with the dead but the result is that it's pretty much impossible and dead is dead. If the thaumaturges, who specialize in death, can't even communicate with the dead, then it wouldn't make sense for a thousand random adventurers to run around with undead legions at their beck and call.

(Before someone makes the "raise" rebuttal: in FF, you don't die so "raise" spells only wake you up from unconsciousness.)
    (1)
    My name is a killing word.
    (Seriously: "Caerith" was a forbidden name when I signed up on the forums.)

Eorzea should be a world, not a lobby.

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast