Player
    Character
    Norelle Lemercier
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 85
    Quote Originally Posted by Esharii View Post
    Not being able to use duty roulette while partied with said loved one doesn't stop you from playing with them. It isn't like roulette takes you to some exotic content not otherwise available to the masses.
    Fair! and since i was flippant before i'll give a proper response so i won't be misunderstood about my feelings on the matter (and i hope those of a few others).

Games are lots of things, but first and foremost, i feel like they're didactic; they teach you rules and systems and concepts really efficiently. RPGs are especially good at this, since they deal with discrete things -- numbers and values especially -- instead of fuzzy things like the timing on combos or whatever. At level cap, two things you have to learn are "you need myth tomes to keep getting stronger" and "the fastest way to get myth tomes is X" -- where x previously has been AK sacrifice runs, then WP speedruns, and now duty roulette. Knowing the fastest way to get cap, and playing efficiently, is actually much MORE important with the cap being raised in 2.1, not less!

Making it impossible to access the best possible way to reach cap while playing with friends or loved ones is actually horrible! It implicitly teaches one more concept -- that the way to play this game is to solo, to not socialize, to not play with friends outside of raid time. Even if this isn't going to lead to the death of anyone's FC, it feels kinda shitty to have to, in the space of one patch, go from doing fast runs of AK/WP with a tight-knit group to just shunning them to play with randoms because you get a huge payout at the end.

(And let me say IN ADVANCE that if you're going to call that some kind of crass materialism, you can just keep that comment to yourself unless you REALLY feel like you're cool running hour-long dungeons 15 times a week instead of 5, and effectively paying 35k gil for the privilege, since you're passing up on the roulette bonus. Does that sound good to you?)

MMOs are, at least ostensibly, social games. If you weren't playing this game with other people, would you really care about the mechanics that much? Designing content such that you're encouraged to avoid playing with your friends is absolutely baffling, and should rightly be called out as the terrible game design it is -- especially when, combined with so many other factors (tying storyline progression in 2.1 to FATEs and level 30 dungeons, preventing anyone from actually buying housing until 3-6 months from now) it's transparently only in place because the developers are lazy, cheap, incompetent, or several of the above.
    (8)
    Last edited by Norondor; 12-19-2013 at 11:35 AM.

Player
    Character
    Min Asterot
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 50
    Sorry, but this is a bit absurd. Do you really need to do EVERYTHING with your partner? That kind of dependency is worrisome to be honest. You aren't prevented from doing the content, and most people absolutely love the roulette. This reminds me of the couples who expected to buy a FC house with just the two of them in the FC. How much more ridiculous are these threads going to get .

Honestly the concept is ingenious. It's a great way to get the classes that are needed into those other queues so those poor dps doing low lvl or story line content aren't waiting for hours on end. I would say this is less for those who are participating in the roulette, and more for the people waiting for the long queue times. Though of course we both win.
    (8)
    Last edited by Dumai; 12-19-2013 at 05:00 PM.

Player
    Character
    Orson Dara
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 90
    Duty roulette isn't for the benefit of existing groups. As said before the only reason you're getting a reward is because you're going out of your way to not group with friends for faster and safer runs. You can queue separately and maybe even luck out to get the same group. It isn't meant for your benefit you can always do random dungeons with your partner ANY TIME. Don't give me this horse %$*# about not being able to be social, doing stuff exclusively with the same people is the epitome of antisocial behavior.
    (8)
    Last edited by Orson_Dara; 12-19-2013 at 05:01 PM.

Player
    Character
    Nova Dresden
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 73
    The duty roulette works by assigning you to a random dungeon in the level range you chose. If you have a loved one you want to play with then the two of you select the specific dungeon you want and roulette fills in your party with individual players in the roulette queue based on what you need. This gets higher level players helping new players on things like storyline dungeons and helps decrease queue times for lower level players. Otherwise it randomly assigns 4 people together in a dungeon chosen based on the lowest level party member and whichever dungeon has open queues available (I get story mode Ifrit, A LOT, since it most likely is the least used queue). Either way the system is only designed to work with individual players and not groups as it would completely reduce the flexibility of the system in groups.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Niroshi Diessa
    World
    Diabolos
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 50
    You know, it's a bit bizarre so many of you are attacking the OP. If they want to only play with their significant other that should be a supported method of dungeoning. Obviously they can use duty finder normally, but doesn't that basically undermine the entire point of the duty roulette? If people who don't enjoy solo queue just decide to not participate then the system seems a bit pointless.
    (8)

Player
    Character
    Dalia Shadowrunner
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Niroshi View Post
    You know, it's a bit bizarre so many of you are attacking the OP. If they want to only play with their significant other that should be a supported method of dungeoning. Obviously they can use duty finder normally, but doesn't that basically undermine the entire point of the duty roulette? If people who don't enjoy solo queue just decide to not participate then the system seems a bit pointless.
    Absolutely not. The whole point of the daily roulette is to encourage individuals to queue for a random dungeon to assist the very likes of the couple, whom would rather play with eachother rather than complete strangers, to allow them to fill the group in a reasonable time.

The experience is still boosted (to my knowledge, I'd have to check) if a high level selects a lower level dungeon to queue for. As such the only thing the daily roulette does is a one time bonus of a bit of extra experience - and the ability to do a dungeon at random, rather than picking. The latter could arguably be done by personal choice and a personal system (roll a dice to pick the dungeon!). The former, while admittedly a boon that cannot be replaced directly, is just numbers to a faster goal, to encourage those who would not normally do, to do.

That is to say - the daily roulette is designed to help them, of all irony, to allow them to queue together and still queue quickly.
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Jay'nes Alexander
    World
    Malboro
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    I was kind of discouraged when I seen me and my girl couldn't do this either but it's no biggie, she needs to learn how to do stuff without me there anyways.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Githiun Smallsword
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by CyanDvai View Post
    so... last time I checked my math, 1 does not equal 11.....
    correct me if I'm wrong.

You also out number me in lvl 50 jobs...
    Yeah I wasn't refering to you Cyan more like backing you up.
    (1)

Character
    Kytre Ashaer
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 70
    Do I prefer to play with friends in dungeons? Of course!

But...that's not what the Duty Roulette is for...its for individual players willing to do a random dungeon to populate them so newer players don't get left out entirely.

Just queue up normally. Nothing is stopping you from doing that. And if you do decide to use the DR, playing without your SO there can make you a better player, since you have to adapt to other people...
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Sheepy Sheepy
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    i hope they don't

the duty roulette is to help other people through dungeons that had impossible ques

if you que'd a 4 man dungeon with a group you are just taking up playerslots that could've been took by newbies, thus defeating the purpose of the whole thing because you don't want to be social

if you wanna play with hubby, play with him, just avoid the roulette, its not a part of the main game/story and offers nothing you could call progression, it is entirely optional and your best option is to leave it to other people
    (3)

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast