Thread: Helix question

Character
    Rambus
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99

Helix question

When you see that pretty number in log what do i Multiply it by to tell yeah i did xxxx damage with 79 mp, oneshoting worms in abyssea makes me grin >XD

I forget if its 9 or 10 or if it has been changed.

best is 711 luminohelix so that total would be 7110 if all tics kicked in?
    (0)

Character
    Agarak
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 90
    Standard Helix duration is about 60 secs. Each tic occurs at approximately 9~10 secs. So you can multiply it with 7.
    (0)

Character
    Hideka
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    yep, helix tics suck and are three times as long. so you really did about 4.2k damage, which is about what a properly geared Aero V can do on sch... Helicies are in dire need of fixing.
    (0)

Character
    Rambus
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by hideka View Post
    yep, helix tics suck and are three times as long. so you really did about 4.2k damage, which is about what a properly geared Aero V can do on sch... Helicies are in dire need of fixing.
    I would just request helix II going that far, you have to remember the mp used, the mp for damage like that is sick though abyssea makes mp a lol isssue.

I also like the suggestion i heard about in a different thread on MV, make it like 60 seconds or something so it has an apperate recast to be used on common mobs, since its useless on NMs. Doing that is buffing helix in a way when you consider merits.
    (0)

Character
    Delvish
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    There are several parts that make helix spells so worthwhile (at least on NMs lasting more than 60 secs. long).

1. Damage to MP ratio is enormous. Like Hideka said, it is just about equal damage output to Tier V spells but tier V spells cost 3 times as much.

2. Nothing (beyond enmity) stops you from casting nukes while helix is ticking down. Can usually get off about 2-3 spells throughout that duration for 3k each. 4000x3+4000 helix = 15000 damage in 60 secs. Good job! (and get ready to die if mob isn't).

3. Enmity gain is minimal compared to the damage delt. Like casting a very potent tier II or a feeble tier III.

4. Kiting fights don't really allow you to stop and cast massive spells without using alacrity and even then you'll usually get smacked if he isn't gravitied. Helix allows for constant damage while kiting.

So I wouldn't say helix's are in dire need of fixing. Modus Veritas needs a fix more like, and certainly won't oppose Helix II spells. It's sad though, that people don't fully realize the potential damage output of helix spells because they only see the initial lackluster damage.
    (1)

Character
    Rambus
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Delvish View Post
    There are several parts that make helix spells so worthwhile (at least on NMs lasting more than 60 secs. long).

1. Damage to MP ratio is enormous. Like Hideka said, it is just about equal damage output to Tier V spells but tier V spells cost 3 times as much.

2. Nothing (beyond enmity) stops you from casting nukes while helix is ticking down. Can usually get off about 2-3 spells throughout that duration for 3k each. 4000x3+4000 helix = 15000 damage in 60 secs. Good job! (and get ready to die if mob isn't).

3. Enmity gain is minimal compared to the damage delt. Like casting a very potent tier II or a feeble tier III.

4. Kiting fights don't really allow you to stop and cast massive spells without using alacrity and even then you'll usually get smacked if he isn't gravitied. Helix allows for constant damage while kiting.

So I wouldn't say helix's are in dire need of fixing. Modus Veritas needs a fix more like, and certainly won't oppose Helix II spells. It's sad though, that people don't fully realize the potential damage output of helix spells because they only see the initial lackluster damage.
    I agree , thats why i made my comment about helix II

711 times 7 is 4977 and more if you use MV with MV merits for 79 mp
    (0)

Character
    Agarak
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 90
    Yeah MV really needs some fixing. I love that JA. I always activate that when i can and it lands pretty good. Even on Abyssea-NM´s. But the recast time really sux.

Ohhh... and the helix with fully merited MV would do approximately = 711 + ( 4 * ( 711 * 2 ) ) = 6399 DMG
    And that for only 79 MP and rediculous low enmity.
    (0)

Character
    Hideka
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    the thing is, helicies can cause bind to break early, and prevent the target from being slept. a shortened MV would really help us out on that front, as not being able to bind or sleep a monster for 60 seconds can be quite hazardous to your health. id personally like to see the damage tics for helicies proccess in the chatlog as well.
    (1)
    Last edited by hideka; 03-11-2011 at 10:31 PM.

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by hideka View Post
    the thing is, helicies can cause bind to break early, and prevent the target from being slept. a shortened MV would really help us out on that front, as not being able to bind or sleep a monster for 60 seconds can be quite hazardous to your health. id personally like to see the damage tics for helicies proccess in the chatlog as well.
    That's the point? Helices being DoT spells is their drawback. Way back when, Ancient Magic used to deal more damage at a higher MP cost and enmity gain. Helices have the best damage/mp ratio in the game and are virtually hate free. Having the spell deal its damage via DoT is pretty much the only way they can balance the spell out, if it deals that damage faster as with Modus, you've effectively halving the spells only drawback as well as increasing their damage with merits. There's no reason to have Modus on a lower recast. Though if it's never going to work on anything ever again, they might as well put it on a one second recast.
    If you're having problems with Sleep/Bind, you're doing it wrong. Helix spells are near worthless on any mob that you can kill in less than a minute, since you're using Sleep/Bind I can't imagine you're doing it on NMs. Even if you want to continue wasting time with Helices on NQ mobs, Break pretty much ignores DoT and does the same thing as Sleep/Bind.
    (0)
    Last edited by Sotek; 03-11-2011 at 10:54 PM.

Character
    Rambus
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    you can sleep or bind them in between the tics, it being 10 seconds long makes it worth noting
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast