Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Player

10hrs before I can play????? any way round this?

I just brought ffxi the ultimate collection, which is the latest version of the game I can buy.

I go through playonline updates, and now onto ffxi updates, and it gives me an estimated time of 10hrs???

i downloaded the game in 2hrs lol!

anyway to speed this up?
    (0)

Should install while you sleep, play next day.
    (4)

Hail to the king baby, Sig by Kingfury

Character
    Byrth
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    Go ask the same question on the BlueGartr Random Question Thread, or look carefully at the FFXI: Advanced forum thread listing.
    (2)

Character
    Gennadi
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaurav View Post
    I just brought ffxi the ultimate collection, which is the latest version of the game I can buy.

I go through playonline updates, and now onto ffxi updates, and it gives me an estimated time of 10hrs???

anyway to speed this up?

Someone tell SE this is 2011 not 1991. We need modern ways to update our gamefiles. Not wait for dial up like speeds.
    (0)

5. 06-14-2011 04:58 AM
    Reason
    Content was edited by Moderator due to violation of Forum Guidelines.

Character
    Byrth
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    Just to spare you the potential warning, SE specifically prohibits distribution of game files in the TOS.
    (3)

Player
    Yeah I guess it was. I'm not too concerned about it, I don't really see the huge issue with it; it is their forums so they can do as they feel fit.

Other than doing "other" methods you can always wait until you go to sleep to finish it. If you interrupt the download by stopping it now it'll resume where it left off when you restart it at a later time. Although that's probably not an issue if you have a decent internet connection as the download rate from playonline is so slow usually that you can't even notice that it's downloading.
    (0)
    Last edited by Kazen; 06-14-2011 at 05:33 AM.

8. 06-14-2011 06:19 AM
    Reason
    Violation of Forum Guidelines.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaurav View Post

anyway to speed this up?
    Not unless you already had the game previously, in which case you can copy the old files over the ones you just installed and not have to spend a lot of time updating.

Unfortunately, Steam doesn't handle updating of MMO titles, it only gives you the data that would be on the disc if it were available in a store. And sadly, that means you have all the expansion's data from the time it was released, which means a ton of updating still needs to be done.

As long as you have a reliable connection though, you can expect that estimated 10 hours to shrink faster than the actual time taken. Most people finish in 6 or 7.
    (0)

Character
    Habiki
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    It would be nice if when they released a new collection or disk if the content was up to date to alleviate having to update files that have already been implemented years ago.

This way you would only have to update if a new update came out, I quit playing on the xbox because of the issues of the game crashing or d/cing and and after crashing or d/cing the disk become unreadable. Having to do a full reinstall and update of 10 years of content every week is a huge annoyance.

Suprised there aren't any get rid of xbox threads, like there are for getting rid of PS2, since you couldn't even do besieged once lvl 7 came out without d/cing at the end and then having to do a full reinstall and update, problem started when microsoft updated the xbox dashboard and ffxi could no longer be saved to the harddrive, even buying a new disk doesn't fix the problem.
    (0)

unfortunately, that isn't cost effective with updates coming out several times per month--1 major, then several followups. They'd have to constantly push updated packages to all the vendors online, and let's not even talk about if you were dealing with Pressed DVD's--YIKES!

What they need to do is provide a link to a direct download through a partner (like the main forums they actually monitor and invite to the Developer Q&A's) to push out. This could be a quarterly released ISO used specifically for updating that you download and burn to a disc. Have a link in POL to update from Data Disc and you feed it the burned DVD to update. that way, worst case scenario you would only have 3 months of data to download through POL and not like a whole year's worth.
    (0)
    {DISCLAIMER} Posts may contain opinions based on personal experiences that are not be meant to be taken as facts. What may appear as fact with no source reference may be recollection of information with no source, and may be subject to scrutiny without source reference. Any debate over validity of said facts without source references may be considered conjecture of all parties in that debate. Player comments may not be the expressed position/consent of SE, their affiliates, or any employees of said organizations. Please take these posts with a grain of salt if you are offended by the views of the player and understand that opinions are like assholes... everyone has one, not everyone wants to hear it.

Yes- and it's already been posted.

Is it really against the ToS to update manually as some have posted? I can't imagine why that would be the case...

Distributing game files I guess I can understand, but if you're only downloading them you aren't distributing unless you're using P2P software and are sharing.
    (0)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast