Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Character
    Razushu
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Or maybe just make it a job trait available at level 70ish that gives our avatars a bonus to their stats based on 50% of our total stats capping at say 40-50ish per stat, nice bonus but no one could call it overpowered
    (0)

Summoner [suhm-uhn-er]

1. Mystics who conjure avatars to fight by their sides, then sit back and enjoy the show while paying close attention to their MP as their minions deliver devastating blows to adversaries and provide aid to allies.
    2. Not a melee

Character
    Razushu
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
    Just learn how to melee. Problem solved.
    I think everyone knows how to melee it's just not usually advisible on certain jobs
    (1)

Summoner [suhm-uhn-er]

1. Mystics who conjure avatars to fight by their sides, then sit back and enjoy the show while paying close attention to their MP as their minions deliver devastating blows to adversaries and provide aid to allies.
    2. Not a melee

Player
    SMN is not one of those jobs.
    (0)

Character
    Razushu
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    It's the definition of "one of those jobs"
    (1)

Summoner [suhm-uhn-er]

2. Not a melee

Player
    I advise it, and I've been succeeding at it for 5-6 years. It's gotten so easy, that anyone can follow me now.

Of course, you might convince people to take advice from a naysayer. Good luck convincing them success can't exist.
    (0)

Character
    Razushu
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
    I advise it, and I've been succeeding at it for 5-6 years. It's gotten so easy, that anyone can follow me now.

Of course, you might convince people to take advice from a naysayer. Good luck convincing them success can't exist.
    I fail to see how I'm a naysayer I'm just pointing out any of the numerous reasons for a SMN to stay back line. I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything any SMN friends I have are of equivalent or greater skill than me and they would agree with me. I find myself wondering what your successes are. Seeing how hard it is for a RDM to be accepted frontline, it begs the question who's letting you melee and on what? Does everything in your LS melee? It's just seeing how SMN is the job in game least suited to melee your parties must be melee free for alls.
    Even if I was trying to convince anyone I would hope it'd be relatively easy seeing as how one look at a job including SMN will tell you which position in battle a SMN should take(behind the avatar) most of the time. there are exceptions to this but for SMN it's few and far between
    (1)
    Last edited by Razushu; 06-14-2011 at 07:45 PM.

Summoner [suhm-uhn-er]

2. Not a melee

So if I'm getting this right, this JA is mainly just to boost your pet due to a selected mobs AoE?? It sounds mob dependent to me.
    (0)

Hail to the king baby, Sig by Kingfury

Character
    Razushu
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
    So if I'm getting this right, this JA is mainly just to boost your pet due to a selected mobs AoE?? It sounds mob dependent to me.
    It's more taking stats from the SMN that aren't needed and adding them to the pet i.e the player isn't going near the mob anyway so siphon STR and DEX etc. and add it to the Avatar atleast thats how it looks to me
    (0)

Summoner [suhm-uhn-er]

2. Not a melee

Seeing how hard it is for a RDM to be accepted frontline, it begs the question who's letting you melee and on what?
    RDM is expected to cast spells, SMNs are expected to trigger BPs. The question if melee is good or not, is the same question as if you are constantly rotating avatars or not. For all intents and purposes, a SMN is a weak DRK. Of course that is nothing to be proud of, but don't lump it together with WHM, SCH, BLM, BRD.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Razushu View Post
    there are exceptions to this but for SMN it's few and far between
    Recently (within the last week), I have meleed:
    Exp/skillup parties
    Abyssea alliances
    Abyssea NM farming
    Nyzul, including all bosses
    Magian trials
    Atomos fight
    Fenrir fight (just avoid the 2hr)
    VNMs both inside and outside Abyssea

Where you see "a few exceptions," I am out there meleeing everything any other DD would melee. And just to skunk the anti-melee crowd a little more, I did get 1-shot last night by a NM mage. For 5 minutes in a weakened state, I played as strong as a non-melee. That's the other way to interpret your advice: treat *every* minute like you just got pwned.
    (0)

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast