Do Relic, Mythic, and Empyrean staves lack the utility of their counterparts for other jobs. I have been bugged by this for a long time now. These weapons are supposed to be most sought after items across Vana'diel, but the staff versions of these weapons seem to for lack of a better word, suck, at least in my opinion. They are designed to be melee weapons, and thus lack any of the skills that would be useful for a Mage class (Summoner Mythic Staff aside). The Hvergelmir although it has a really neat weapon skill when is it really useful to a mage doing their job properly. The Claustrum again sort of had a neat weapon skill, that pales in comparison to the Hvergelmir, still lacks the basic stats a mage would use on it.

Mages in Vana'diel tend to use the elemental staves over these "Ultimate Weapons," because they lack the bonuses to magic damage and accuracy. These weapons are poorly designed in my opinion. They seem to be nothing more than a toy to play with outside of actual real content. I think its rather disturbing to find that ever time they make a new "Ultimate Weapon" for mages, they are just a stick for hitting an enemy with. Mages are changing their staff for each spell that is used, unless they only use spells of one element. It makes it hard to hold TP with the current way mages play their jobs. Maintaining TP isn't where the problems stop. Most mage jobs don't focus on haste as a priority, therefore TP gain is relatively slow. Even if it was viable for a mage to melee, I am pretty sure that there is a melee job better suited for that purpose. Am I the only one that thinks that these weapons lack the oomph their melee counterparts?