Player

Changes to cover

I've been a Paladin for most of this game's life and personally I think Cover's recast timer should be drastically reduced. It doesn't make that much sense to me to have a five minute cooldown on a job ability that's potentially deadly for the user. Perhaps even extending out Cover's length of effect maybe? As it stands now, people are shocked and amazed whenever I use the Cover Job Ability because apparently so few Paladins do.

On a side note, if they did make cover's recast something around a minutes cooldown, it would do very interesting things to the job. Possibly even increase party effectiveness because the heaviest hitter could concentrate on just that, hitting as heavy as they can, in the relative safety that they would be covered, most of the time (especially with cover length merits)
    (2)

Character
    Jamesruglia
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 90
    I agree with the concept you've presented, but from what I understand, the problem with Paladin right now isn't just about making ourselves the target; it's the lack of a need for us to take hits in the first place, coupled with our relative inability to contribute damage.

Nonetheless, Square Enix did mention that "The effects of the Job Ability Cover will be slightly modified", so I guess we'll see what's up...

And welcome to the forum!
    (0)
    Sylph/Melmond

Quote Originally Posted by Neumeier View Post
    I've been a Paladin for most of this game's life and personally I think Cover's recast timer should be drastically reduced. It doesn't make that much sense to me to have a five minute cooldown on a job ability that's potentially deadly for the user. Perhaps even extending out Cover's length of effect maybe? As it stands now, people are shocked and amazed whenever I use the Cover Job Ability because apparently so few Paladins do.

On a side note, if they did make cover's recast something around a minutes cooldown, it would do very interesting things to the job. Possibly even increase party effectiveness because the heaviest hitter could concentrate on just that, hitting as heavy as they can, in the relative safety that they would be covered, most of the time (especially with cover length merits)
    I think cover should have a lower recast sure, but it won't help as much right now to let us get into groups over just another DD or even a healer. I think Shield Bash should have a reduced timer too, it dumb at this point to use it and maybe do 20-40 dmg with only a chance to stun with a 5 min recast timer. Also like was mention cover is suppose to be modified somehow with today update.
    (0)

Character
    Jeremi
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Neumeier View Post

Isn't the recast on cover 2 minutes not 5 minutes?

And I disagree with you, i think the recast is fine (though i woudn't mind seeing it shorter). The real problem is how you have to manuvre your character in front of the person you are wanting to cover. That can be very difficult to do in a lot of situations (if not impossible) and is just a huge pain to use generally. They need to make it automatically block attacks like it has on all other FF games. If they would do that i'd be happy with it.
    (0)

Character
    Anais
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    it not about recast, its about the cover active time, did you know its only 30 secs? no, you didnt
    (1)

Character
    Nawesemo
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    I'll agree that if the recast was shortened, and duration extended say 15 seconds, plds usefulness will increase, on blm, and about to do something stupid, find pld, stand behind em, let em know I'm about to take a ass whooping..... Cover, and unleash hell..... A longer duration, and shorter recast will help.
    (0)

Character
    Aeonknight
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesruglia View Post
    I agree with the concept you've presented, but from what I understand, the problem with Paladin right now isn't just about making ourselves the target; it's the lack of a need for us to take hits in the first place, coupled with our relative inability to contribute damage.

Nonetheless, Square Enix did mention that "The effects of the Job Ability Cover will be slightly modified", so I guess we'll see what's up...

And welcome to the forum!
    Making mobs harder is easy enough to do.

Giving a PLD the edge they need to hold hate on said harder mobs is the part that needs "fixed". aka the hate cap.

Hell even the current generation of voidwatch mobs would be next to impossible without fanatics (which isn't going to be there forever) or Perfect Defense/Embrava (both about to get nerfed.) The potential for PLD usefulness is there, we just need the tweak to the hate cap in order to make it so our efforts aren't completely wasted whenever a DD does 1 WS.
    (0)

Player
    The flaw with Cover is it only works in your party and not across the alliance. Unfortunately there are only 3 flags for spells/abilities: Self, Single-Party,Aoe-Party, Anyone. Spells that go across the alliance are simply under 'Anyone' (i.e Cure/Poisona/Protect) and I doubt they'd let you be able to use Cover across alliances if it meant being able to use it on Anyone(exploitable PLing).
    (1)

I don't think power-leveling is any sort of concern nowadays. Wohoo, i can kill an IT as level less than 30 and spend 10 times longer killing it compared to an EP that gives more exp over time.
    (1)

Character
    Saevel
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    They should just make cover force the target monster to target you for it's entire duration. Make it override any current enmity levels until it wears off. Would actually let PLD ~be~ a tank rather then just holding a bunch of adds while everyone else kills the main NM.
    (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelix
    Ragnarok's aftermath is only 5% crit rate, even with lv99, so there's almost no point in using Scourge, you just spam Resolution. Even then you become just a boring meathead DD.

Apoc with both Catastrophe and Entropy gives you crazy sustain of both HP and MP. With the Haste aftermath you can wear a ton of -PDT and solo almost any 75 content.
    Doing damage is for WAR's, DRK is about soloing 75 content yo.....