Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

General DD Gear?

Thinkin about takin up WAR and was wonderin if this would be a good setup.

Main: Kunlun +2 (Attack 2-4x)
    Sub: Pole Grip
    Ammo: Ravager's Orb
    Head: Zelus Tiara
    Neck: Ravager's Gorget
    Ear1: Brutal Earring
    Ear2: Ravager's Earring
    Body: Grim Cuirass
    Hands: Dusk Gloves +1
    Ring1: Blitz Ring
    Ring2: Keen Ring
    Back: Atheling Mantle
    Waist: Bullwhip Belt
    Legs: Calmecac Trousers
    Feet: Ravager's Calligae +1

And if I'm to understand correctly, Raging Rush is best WS inside Abyssea, but outside it's King's Justice, right?
    (0)
    Last edited by Linh; 06-05-2011 at 03:30 PM.
    90 MNK. 90 BLM. 90 COR. 90 WAR.

All POST-Abyssea LEECHED and proud of it.

Cept MNK (Got up to 41 in 2009). All that time wasted camping Retaliators....

Character
    Vazerus
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Don't really know about the gear, but I'm fairly certain before abyssea came out Raging Rush outperformed King's Justice as long as you geared well enough to get a decent crit rate.
    (0)

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Even if you didn't gear for critical hit rate, Raging Rush was generally better. It had a higher deviation from the average (which is normal for crit rate WS), but overall damage was generally higher. WS ranking for WAR was as follows (before Ukko's Fury):

300% MS+WC: Steel Cyclone
    < 300% MS: King's Justice
    No MS: Raging Rush
    Self SC: Raging Rush > Raging Rush
    300% MS self SC: King's Justice > Steel Cyclone (probably only worth it with Savagery Merits and Warcry)

The last example was very fun and useful before Blood Rage came out. Hit Meditate and 300% Sekka King's Justice would put you at ~218%, then a tick of Meditate, 230%, another swing of yours 246%. This was already enough to have technically 296% TP (Savagery), often you'd get another Meditate tick or hit from enemy, so you'd be capped. Then Warrior's Charge and Steel Cyclone. That meant you could profit from the high damage of Steel Cyclone to close a T2 WS for pretty high SC damage as well. Highest combination I did got me a total of over 8k damage, which was quite huge back then. Could see large chunks of a boss's HP bar disappear, while the other melees were chipping away at it slowly. But as I said, I don't know if it's still worth it, given that Blood Rage increases critical damage by 20% flat. Also, note that Kunlun +2 has very low base damage, which means Steel Cyclones would be less impressive anyway. For that it's probably better to just spam WS instead of focusing on great WS combos.

The gear isn't bad, but can be improved in certain slots, mainly for Ravager's gear. Do you have Tamas/Sattva? Rajas is still exceptional for DDing (Store TP +5), and the other two are hardly worth it anymore. Unless you have a sentimental attachment to those, might wanna consider redoing that.

Note that with a Kunlun +2, you can attain a 5-hit setup without any noticeable sacrifices, if you gear for it. Check this out. Also, you can substitute the White Tathlum for a Ravager's Orb and Ravager's Earring for a Moonshade Earring, with a Regain augment. That way you'd get 99% TP after 5 hits (including WS, assuming one single hit), and the Moonshade Earring would give you that extra % TP you need almost instantly. It's fun to note that with this setup, you could almost perma-WS on WAR, if the 4-hit procs repeatedly, and thus also perma-SC.
    (0)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Character
    Meuporg
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    don't use the oa2-4 weapon (bad distribution, cant have weapon ao X and DA/TA in same round, low dmg)
    replace blitz with something else: 8(zelus)+4(gloves)+7(belt)+3(legs)+4(feet)=26= caped and the ring goes to waste

lack storeTP gear. cant say how many since i don't know what weapon you have (not the oa2-4!)

body+1/2,rajas,hoard, tactical mantle, goading (only use what is needed to lower you hit build)
    (0)

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by hiko View Post
    don't use the oa2-4 weapon (bad distribution, cant have weapon ao X and DA/TA in same round, low dmg)
    I don't know about the distribution, but to my knowledge higher hit rounds will proc before lower hit. So the native DA WAR has won't hurt the weapon much, although there will be a bit lower rewards. The low damage could be a problem though, and I'm not sure if it would beat other Great Axes, but he seems to have put some effort into obtaining it already. It doesn't look too bad on paper. Can OAX weapons multihit proc on weapon skills?
    (0)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Pretty sure they can't. Unless it's one of those things that use charged ammunition.
    (0)

Character
    Byrth
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    The tests so far have shown OA2-4 weapons to have an average hits/round of 2, which means Double Attack does nothing for it. OA2-4 GAxe and Axes on Warrior are the worst Magian weapons.
    (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Arcon View Post
    Can OAX weapons multihit proc on weapon skills?
    Soboro couldn't, but then, martial weapons had no effect in off-hand and the magian TP bonus weapons do, so there's always the chance. I'm 95% certain that my OA2-3 dagger (haven't finished it yet) doesn't proc on ws.

Quote Originally Posted by Byrth View Post
    The tests so far have shown OA2-4 weapons to have an average hits/round of 2, which means Double Attack does nothing for it. OA2-4 GAxe and Axes on Warrior are the worst Magian weapons.
    Not entirely true. Though to prove the point entirely we'd have to parse the number of additional attacks by a job with no DA trait or gear VS a war, both using OAX weapons. The results will show that the war still got more additional attacks (assuming that Arcon is correct about the highest number of attacks procing first, which I think he is)[Just looked at the Ridill page though and that seems to think DA overrides additional swings from the weapon]. It's impossible to say exactly how much without seeing the % of 2, % of 3 and % of 4 hits, but you will still get 10% DA activation on all of your single-hit attacks. If only 10% of the attacks are single-hit, you get a whopping 1% increase in swings through DA, but if 50% of the swings are single-hit, you get an additional 5% swings.

You will lose some of your DA usefulness, but not completely. Hence why Ridill WAR was such a popular choice.
    (0)

Player
    Riddill had high base damage and fairly low delay for its level and a favourable OaX effect, the 2-4 Kunlun doesn't, you can't compare the two. It's a bad weapon and you should feel bad for using it for anything other than being /Dnc or something, and you're still probably better off with other options.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Ridill was popular mostly due to the 2h patch not being implemented yet and /Sam not being very useful, after the update Ridill wasn't as highly prized as it used to be.
    (0)
    Last edited by Neisan_Quetz; 06-06-2011 at 03:07 AM.

Character
    Byrth
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    He's not correct about the highest number proccing first. It's Triple Attack -> Double Attack -> Occasionally Attacks of all varieties. If anything, Occasionally Attacks procs in order of lowest to highest (thus explaining the decreasing probability of higher N-hits observed in most distributions).
    (1)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast