Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99

Please REMOVE close own thread option

Being able to close one's own threads is counterproductive to good discussion. Pepole can give an opinion to start a thread and close it as soon as anyone starts to disagree with them, making it look as if an idea has more support than it really does, and it also shuts down any possibility of good discussion.
    (9)

perhaps, but it also allows you to keep the trolls out of your threads if your reflexes are fast enough, or if undesireables <coughStarcough> show up, so it has its upside too.
    (3)

Player
    Agreed, closing threads should be left to Moderators, not posters. If a poster is violating the rules of the forum report their posts.
    (2)

Character
    Psxpert
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Opening a thread has equal rights to closing it. I'll have to go with be pro-options. That's giving powers of responsibly to the poster and I don't see how anyone could abuse this.

Given that the intellectual property has been up for a set time or received a lot of post, the moderators can choose to leave it up or delete it permanently. There must be balance.
    (3)
    "With the POWER of Taru...!"

@@@~'~~~;SYLPH WORLD;~~~,~@@@

Character
    Elementa
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 1
    I don't see how anyone could abuse this.
    As has been said, people will make idiot posts and lock them before smart people have a chance to respond, which gives the impression that idiots have something worthwhile to say. See: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/th...-THF-petition; for a perfect example of how easily this is abused.
    (0)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    False on both counts. I don't always disagree, nor do I think I'm always right.

Wouldn't closing a thread when it is starting to become an endless bitchfest be a good thing? I'm sure you might want to sit there and repeatedly say "No, I'm right!", but would it really help anyone?
    (3)

If the poster wants to close the thread to replies they should have that option. If you feel someone has started then locked a thread and it's imperative that you reply to it, make your own thread "In response to [The Locked Thread Title]". Get your jollys off then lock your own thread if you see fit.

I think SE implemented the 'lock your own thread' for a reason and I'm not going to knock it.
    (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldous Snow
    When the world slips you a Geoffrey, stroke the furry walls.
    Quote Originally Posted by --She
    that's what

Character
    Zerius
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    This idea is stupid! - See how easy that was. It's neither productive nor worth reading but it fills 90% of the forum because everyone thinks they know more than the person that posted. Don't remove the feature.
    (3)

It's kinda back and fourth, any arguments you can make either pro or con can work for and against it. For instance smart people would usually leave their ideas open for opinions and interpritation, at the same time you could have some trolls or stalkers constantly hounding you. Having that option to close your own thread keeps them from derailing your original point, or allows you to end it if you feel the discussion has come to a close or strayed from the original point.
    (1)