Thread: Pankration!

Character
    Hrasvelg
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    COR Lv 75

Pankration!

Yes, some of us still actively do Pankration. I have a few level 50's and still make more pankration mobs. Only sitting at 30K+ jettons though.

My suggestion: can we please get some more mobs into pankration?
    Mobs I'd like to see:
    [] Ruszor
    [] Gnoles
    [] Peiste
    [] Gnats
    [] Ladybugs
    [] Rafflesia
    [] Poroggos (both kinds)
    [] Cardians

What do you think?
    (11)
    Just a level 75 COR still trying to cap his skills before venturing into level 76. All that's left is parrying.
    SE please give me a Parry Roll or Parry Bonus Job Trait.
    SE Thank you for the COR update that changes Gallant's Roll. You have indirectly answered my prayers for assistance in Parrying Skillups!! THANK YOU SE. -_-

Character
    Phraust
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Fuck Yeah!

I have literally been waiting since the first day of these forums' existence for the first Pankration thread, and the day has finally come!

I got 2 mega-squids I am so happy with. I'd be happy with a higher level/skill cap personally.

!!!
    (1)
    If you don't understand why Haste is so important, or if you don't think it is:
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/1847-Haste-and-You...-A-guide-to-the-misinformed.

Would be nice to see pankration updated. unfortunately we are likely to see a completely different variation of it in a new zone instead.
    (0)
    Dear Customer,
    We have determined that the post you made was in violation of the User Agreement policies. The post was edited or deleted accordingly.
    Original Post:
    Signature states "JP ONRY" in Japanese.

All you hardcore pankration-ers will be happy to hear that we received word from the lead saying he would like to make adjustments to the system as well as add new ways of playing and rewards. However, it will be a little while before we implement anything.
    (6)
    Devin "Camate" Casadey - Community Team

Quote Originally Posted by Camate View Post
    All you hardcore pankration-ers will be happy to hear that we received word from the lead saying he would like to make adjustments to the system as well as add new ways of playing and rewards. However, it will be a little while before we implement anything.
    ah cool hopefully they add new mobs and nice reward, I like Pankration, but hardly do it anymore because there really doesn't seem a point to it without having a goal to it or reward. Maybe be able to upgrade mobs for pankration through magian trials.
    (0)

Character
    Rhianu
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Personally, one of the biggest things that stops me from participating in Pankration, aside from the lack of rewards, is just how horribly boring the whole thing is. No offense, but Pankration battles are nothing but a big, giant yawn-fest. All you do is stand there and watch two monsters smack each other a few times. Sure, you can sort of take "control" of the action when your monster is in the ring, but it doesn't feel like you're actually in control, and that's the problem.

I leveled one monster to the maximum way back when Pankration was first introduced, simply because it was something new; it was a novelty. But once that novelty wore off (which was after about one week), I realized the system simply didn't have enough depth to remain entertaining on its own merits.

Adding new rewards to obtain is a step in the right direction, but if the dev team is serious about getting people interested in Pankration again, they're going to need to completely redesign the way Pankration battles work. If all they do is add new rewards and new pets, interest in the system will be piqued momentarily, but will die off again once everyone has gotten the new rewards.

If the dev team wants interest in Pankration to last, then they have to get people interested in the system itself, and not just the rewards it provides. To do that, they need to make the system fun. Right now, it simply isn't fun.

In my opinion, to make Pankration fun to play, SE should completely change the whole Pankration battle system so that the selection options during a Pankration battle aren't so horribly vague and generic. It sucks all the fun out of the system because it doesn't feel like I'm actually controlling what's going on. Give us specific commands so we can control the action directly, and get rid of the general options that don't seem to do anything or make much of a difference.

I want to actually feel like I'm controlling my monsters directly, not just cheering them on from the sidelines.

For example, instead of just having our Pankration monsters stand there and do battle automatically, it would be much more fun if we actually had direct control over them, just like we have direct control over our characters, and then we could use attacks and abilities manually, rather than having to just give boring, general instructions and watch our pets do their own thing.

At the very least, make it kinda like Pokémon, where you choose specific abilities from a list, and then your monster executes those abilities immediately. That would be much better and far more entertaining than just watching the monsters fight on their own.
    (4)
    Last edited by Rhianu; 06-07-2011 at 09:12 AM.

If you are planning on doing anything like raising the level cap can you do something about the elementals like not give them as many points per level? They have WAY too many points for the inherent -PDT they have and the default traits they can get.
    (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Camate View Post
    I mentioned this in the other Pankration Threads, But please still see this.

Add an Imperial Standing Reward to Pankration fights, It doesn't need to be huge, Just a small Imperial Standing Reward for Winning a fight!

Since the death of Merit Parties, Getting Imperial Standing is rough (Well, Rougher), adding a Reward like IS to Pankration would revive the content to even people who don't thoroughly enjoy it. (I know i still like it).

There could also be several more different reward (Like maybe an Orc, Yag, Quad, and Gob Hat that effects Feral Drain with some neat bonuses? to go with the Lam/Qiq/Orc/Mam)
    (2)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    What about Ballista? What about the other area of the colosseum as well?
    (0)

Character
    Arisingchicken
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Supersun View Post
    If you are planning on doing anything like raising the level cap can you do something about the elementals like not give them as many points per level? They have WAY too many points for the inherent -PDT they have and the default traits they can get.
    I have a pet that absolutely chews up elementals. What's broken isn't the elementals traits and add on plates, but the fact that the battles are skewed by die rolls that almost always favor the current champion. Once my critter is "in" everyone has had to wait for my battle count to cap out, because nothing, not even the supposedly "invincible" elementals can beat it. Most things that look like they have a hope against my pet wind up timing out and lose by default. That's another thing - if the champ has even 1 hp left at the end of the timer, the champ wins. Even if the challenger took zero damage.

And as mentioned by another poster, the "controls" don't make you feel like you did anything. The pet is still on autopilot even after you have it obeying your commands. It is just a shift in AI. This makes it very boring. It would be nice to have more strategic elements, such as adding 2hrs to the mobs and directly controlling when they go off.
    (0)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast