Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Why is Guarding just so...bad?

I've always had a bit of an issue with guarding. Before Abyssea, there were some things that I tanked, nothing overly hard, but literally every time I would get a guard skill up, I'd state it out to my LS. Even today, other MNKs in my group have adopted the same joke.

Getting guard skill ups is horrible. Even worse, at CAP, you'll only guard 10% of the time.

I liken Guarding to Shield skill. Both are meant to be a defensive capability when a mob is attacking you. In my length of time in FFXI, I've seem at least two changes to Shield skill, upping rates of blocking, increasing skill gain, and even a spell to increase shield blocks and reflect damage. If Guarding has changed at all, I don't recall this happening.

PLD were meant to be a tank, and it's understandable that they should have more reliance on shields. Times have changed though, and MNK has become a big contender in the tanking field. I think it's time to give a second look at Guarding skill. Make it better in some form. I'm not sure exactly what to change about it, but it's one of a MNK's two defensive capabilities (The other being Counter.).

Please consider taking a look at guarding skill again. I'm sure many MNKs would love you for it. =)
    (7)

pups would like it too!
    (0)

Character
    Lynchilles
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Paksenarrion View Post
    Getting guard skill ups is horrible. Even worse, at CAP, you'll only guard 10% of the time.
    Please post tested support for your statistics.
    (0)

Player
    10% was being generous, if it's similar to parry than it's closer to 5% on tougher mobs, potentially more on anything below VT.
    (0)

Character
    Lynchilles
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Neisan_Quetz View Post
    10% was being generous, if it's similar to parry than it's closer to 5% on tougher mobs, potentially more on anything below VT.
    That's pretty much what I have seen from more than a few people on BG that have capped Guard.

I wouldn't ask SE to touch Guard to be honest. Monk is extremely powerful now and an incredibly good tank both in and out of Abyssea. The only possible way I can see a Monk making Guard work for them on anything that matters is by capping guard and stacking a lot of +Guard Skill gear, which would be counterproductive to say the least. The faster I can kill my enemy, the less situations I will be in where I would need guard to proc.

Monk is just fine where it is. I wouldn't want SE to adjust anything with Monk at this point because that is when things usually go horribly wrong based on past experiences.
    (1)

Can I quote statistics as "This is what I was told and I was inclined to believe?"

There's probably a reason I'm failing my stats class.

Okay, so I pulled a number out of the air from what I had been told in the past. The number is still abysmally low, like Neisan stated. I will honestly state that I am not the right person to quote statistics. I apologize for using a number I have no proof to back up. =(
    (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynchilles View Post
    Monk is extremely powerful now and an incredibly good tank both in and out of Abyssea. The only possible way I can see a Monk making Guard work for them on anything that matters is by capping guard and stacking a lot of +Guard Skill gear, which would be counterproductive to say the least. The faster I can kill my enemy, the less situations I will be in where I would need guard to proc.
    I suppose I can agree with this. I do still think they should look at the rate of guard skill ups, though. It's really, really slow imo.
    (0)

I like the idea of making guard more useful, especially since I've read that it becomes really the only source of defense when using counterstance.
    (0)

Character
    Leonlionheart
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 95
    because mnk needs more defensive statistics.
    (0)

Character
    Peldin
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    because mnk needs more defensive statistics.
    Well, we're not invincible yet, and we can't one-shot everything yet... so we still need plenty of upgrades. (sarcasm intended)
    (1)

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast