Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Character
    Leonlionheart
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 95
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynchilles View Post
    Or, when the mob readies it's TP move, you can, I don't know... just run out of range and take essentially zero damage?
    lol because every TP move has a 5 second readying stage...

Unlike all the strong physical TP moves used in FFXI.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Leonlionheart View Post
    Looks like you underestimate the power of Guard...

honest answer: Guard actually blocks physical WSs too, completely nullifying damage. So 55% would be way too much in actuality. Not only that but Guard cuts down pDIF by 1.0, meaning it would actually reduce damage over time by huge, huge, huge amounts when stacked with an easily obtainable high PDT set. Against mobs that you can't counter against (Iron giants, Shinryu, high accuracy/evasion enemies) this ability would probably make MNK invincible.

So really it could be useful, though not in Abyssea, and probably overpowered outside Abyssea.
    I'd find it niche at best, mainly for NMs like Shinryu and Ironclads where countering just is not an option. Perhaps it would be more viable if there were more mobs/NMs where countering wasn't viable, but at the moment are there really that many with Acc/Eva high enough to throttle counter rates low enough for this to be more beneficial than simply Counterstance-tanking?

Guardstance also severely cuts into Mnk's offensive output by eliminating counter damage (which in turn affects their defense, fight lasts longer, etc). Do we really need to turtle that badly? May as well just come Paladin if things are that nasty.
    (0)

Character
    Leonlionheart
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 95
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatguardian View Post
    I'd find it niche at best, mainly for NMs like Shinryu and Ironclads where countering just is not an option. Perhaps it would be more viable if there were more mobs/NMs where countering wasn't viable, but at the moment are there really that many with Acc/Eva high enough to throttle counter rates low enough for this to be more beneficial than simply Counterstance-tanking?

Guardstance also severely cuts into Mnk's offensive output by eliminating counter damage (which in turn affects their defense, fight lasts longer, etc). Do we really need to turtle that badly? May as well just come Paladin if things are that nasty.
    I'm not a dev, just throwing out ideas.

Instead maybe:

Perfect Guard: 1min (Shared with Perfect Counter). Guard the next 3 hits, but makes you unable to counter them.

I can see that allowing MNK to tank to some extent outside abyssea even more than it already can.
    (0)

Character
    Peldin
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Guardstance also severely cuts into Mnk's offensive output by eliminating counter damage
    Severely cuts in to our offensive output? Perhaps you severely overestimate the damage we do with counters. Unless you are fighting a mob that uses Hundred Fists or has high tripple attack rate, Counter doesn't do much over 2% of our total damage.
    (0)

Character
    Tigerwoods
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Guard actually blocks physical WSs too, completely nullifying damage.
    Actually, it doesn't. It'll say the move missed in the chat log, but you'll still take damage from the attack, reduced damage of course, but damage.

There's no reason to want a high guard rate at the exchange of a 0% counter rate.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Peldin View Post
    Severely cuts in to our offensive output? Perhaps you severely overestimate the damage we do with counters. Unless you are fighting a mob that uses Hundred Fists or has high tripple attack rate, Counter doesn't do much over 2% of our total damage.
    2%? I must be doinitwrong.
    (0)

Character
    Leonlionheart
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 95
    Quote Originally Posted by Cream_Soda View Post
    Actually, it doesn't. It'll say the move missed in the chat log, but you'll still take damage from the attack, reduced damage of course, but damage.

There's no reason to want a high guard rate at the exchange of a 0% counter rate.
    My mistake, either way I'm just throwing out ideas. Still, no other ability other than pure physical damage taken-, sentinel and phalanx reduces the damage of physical enemy TP moves.
    (0)

Character
    Tigerwoods
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    You can shield tp moves, too. Also plain regular defense lowers it as well >.>

Not like its anything special
    (0)

Character
    Leonlionheart
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 95
    Quote Originally Posted by Cream_Soda View Post
    You can shield tp moves, too. Also plain regular defense lowers it as well >.>

Not like its anything special
    That's why you don't gear for it, but if you had it 100% for a certain number of hits...

idk man I'm just throwing out ideas to make guarding useful at all D:
    (0)

Character
    Tigerwoods
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Up its proc rate through JT or naturally. It shouldn't need a job ability to make it useful.
    (0)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast