Thread: "Double Cast"

Character
    Duelle
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by ManaKing View Post
    If you are looking to spice up my mage side than bring me a page from Chrono Trigger. I want Anitpode. Fire + Ice = magical meltdown.
    You make me think of another one of my crazy ideas:
    Job Abilities
    Improvisation (1 minute cooldown): Allows the next spell cast to count as a weapon skill, allowing the Red Mage to skillchain. Spells cast through Improvisation can only open skillchains, not close them. Tentative addition: Allows two elemental spells to be cast simultaneously, thus combining their effects to create a lv2 skillchain opener. The resulting spell does 75% of the damage both spells would deal separately, but both spells cost their normal amounts of MP.

Improvised Spells
    Rime I-III (Water&Ice element. Equivalent to Distortion)
    Tempest I-III (Wind&Thunder element. Fragmentation)
    Compress I-III (Earth&Darkness element. Compression)
    Melt I-III (Fire&Light element. Equivalent of Fusion)
    Well, minus the spell counting as a weapon skill. I could live with Improvisation granting access to dual element spells.
    (0)
    * The sad thing is that FFXIV turned RDM into a turret, and people think that's what it's supposed to be. It's supposed to combine sword and magic into something more, not spend the bulk of gameplay spamming spells and jump into melee for only 3 GCDs before scurrying back to the back line.

Character
    Kristal
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Raxiaz View Post
    5 Min recast.
    Gives the same effect as "Chainspell" but only for two spells.

Discuss.
    It already has a name ingame: Quick Magic. And it's found -obviously- on the SCH empyrean +2 set, the WotG reward and atma of the apocalypse...

RDM could use a unique aspect.. something like a Magic Penetration trait that occasionally ignores all resistances, immunities and absorbs, as well as a JA that makes that 100% once every 5 minutes (to balance it, it uses the same timer as Saboteur.)
    (1)

Character
    Iocus
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Doombringer View Post
    that'd also be a pretty interesting way for a blm to nuke hard without gaining any hate.
    Actually a very good point. I would love to be able to take magical hate for other mages. I take damage well enough and I can cure myself.
    (0)

Character
    Raxiaz
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 96
    Yeah, RDMs are very well suited for taking damage and sustaining it over time...

Hmmm... something like:
    Runic (Min 5 Recast)
    Increases your magic accuracy by 15. Absorbs elemental damage into your weapon.

What you could do with that elemental damage then is add it to a weapon skill, or some such other. I do like the idea of Fire Sword/Ice Sword, RDM-Only. You could cast Blizzard IV on yourself then do a weaponskill and bam... loads of damage, or an additional effect, or some such other? I dunno. I would encourage the devs to at least play around with the idea first. xD
    (0)

Character
    Alvian
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristal View Post
    It already has a name ingame: Quick Magic. And it's found -obviously- on the SCH empyrean +2 set, the WotG reward and atma of the apocalypse...

RDM could use a unique aspect.. something like a Magic Penetration trait that occasionally ignores all resistances, immunities and absorbs, as well as a JA that makes that 100% once every 5 minutes (to balance it, it uses the same timer as Saboteur.)
    SCH should never have got that, and I say that as a SCH.

That along with their fast cast, it's making the job too much of a RDM mark.2
    (0)

another cool use for runic would be to have it "charge" enspells to do dmg over there normal cap, relative to how much dmg the initial nuke would have done. even 5% of blizzard4, per swing, over 3 minutes, would be significant. then factor in composure and you're getting a LOT of DoT out of that 1 nukes worth of mp. then imagine that with a T5 nuke, or a T2 AM? it gets to the point where it would be borderline overpowered, but SE could just play around with that 5% figure.

would be a pretty interesting and unique way for an rdm to both contribute dmg, and mitigate hate gain on the blm.
    (0)

The only thing with Runic is it kinda makes it only useful for mobs that cast magic and mobs where you need magic.

That leaves a rather large portion of mobs that the JA is still worthless on and does nothing.
    (0)

i was thinking se could tweak it to absorb our own spells, or spells cast on us by pt members.
    (0)

Character
    Iocus
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    i was thinking se could tweak it to absorb our own spells, or spells cast on us by pt members.
    You shouldn't have to tweak it, Runic worked on all magic. Yours, your allies, your enemies. That would be party of the JA. If your BLM is casting AM and the mob or your party members cast something else, than you don't get the desired affect.
    (0)

Character
    Mordru
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    another cool use for runic would be to have it "charge" enspells to do dmg over there normal cap, relative to how much dmg the initial nuke would have done. even 5% of blizzard4, per swing, over 3 minutes, would be significant. then factor in composure and you're getting a LOT of DoT out of that 1 nukes worth of mp. then imagine that with a T5 nuke, or a T2 AM? it gets to the point where it would be borderline overpowered, but SE could just play around with that 5% figure.

would be a pretty interesting and unique way for an rdm to both contribute dmg, and mitigate hate gain on the blm.
    Yep, that's what I had suggested here:
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/th...unic#post90783

With one ability RDM can cancel or pre-siphon other nukers' hate, make their melee more attractive, have a potential defensive stun, spice up enspells a bit, introduce another sort of cooperative move set or combine their own nukes with their sword/dagger skill, and most importantly be able to use one of the simplest yet coolest moves in FF history.

I get what Supersun is saying about it only being useful on mobs that require magic. That's why I like the additional JA idea "Runic Seal" where you'd lock the remaining portion of the absorbed damage for use in the next WS and subsequently unable to enhance remaining enspells. Ideally the charged WS would follow normal damage rules for that WS (magic or physical), just charged by the Runic-absorbed spell. So effectively you could use your or another's nuking MP to deliver a powerful physical WS on a magic resistant mob.
    (0)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast