Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    I see no need for this. You can put all that info in your search comment, and usually when I see people shouting begging for a party in jeuno, that makes me want to invite them even less.

People can see your flag, if they want to invite you, they'll invite you. If not, you can either wait, or make your own pt.
    (0)

As far as usefulness is concerned, the arguments against are sort of like saying, "I don't need to buy into this computer fad to get the news, I get the news fine by going to the store and buying a newspaper." This feature would open up additional information (maybe someone can use a different job, or maybe someone wants to create a party and another person doesn't- but they can ask a friend to fill the healer spot that's missing), but again, this is not the purpose of the feature. The real benefit of this is that players are automatically introduced into conversation with the players in their level range who are seeking. On the surface that doesn't mean anything, but anyone who's played the game for a decent amount of time can probably imagine how much this would influence those players to get a party created. The fact that it would also facilitate it is just an added bonus.

The example in the thread title is more of a joke than anything else, and not meant to illustrate the use of the feature. If anything, it highlights the subconscious need that we've had for it.
    (0)
    Last edited by Selzak; 05-20-2011 at 04:00 AM.

Character
    Khiinroye
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    There are not enough people lfg at low levels for this to have any noticeable effect. Also, most people would still just use it to shout into the channel "LV 32 pup lfg!" while the people who would proactively make a party would use the search function to find people without it anyways.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Khiinroye View Post
    There are not enough people lfg at low levels for this to have any noticeable effect. Also, most people would still just use it to shout into the channel "LV 32 pup lfg!" while the people who would proactively make a party would use the search function to find people without it anyways.
    That's a legitimate disagreement. No one knows how it would work in the wild, but I believe that this feature would get people talking and that would have a huge impact on party formation.

Can't do anything more than agree to disagree about how it would pan out, though. I won't argue against legitimate points, only defending the idea against those who don't get the actual purpose of it.
    (0)

Character
    Sabaa
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    There is no point in a chat mode for party searching.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Selzak View Post
    are sort of like saying, "I don't need to buy into this computer fad to get the news, I get the news fine by going to the store and buying a newspaper."
    Not really as one is slower than the other, whereas both options are fast, and the search function does exactly the same thing.

This feature would open up additional information (maybe someone can use a different job, or maybe someone wants to create a party and another person doesn't- but they can ask a friend to fill the healer spot that's missing),
    Also can be done via shouts/lses. Not only that I'd imagine if you don't want to xp, then you'd have this filtered anyway. people arent going to want to listen to pages of "INVITE ME" unless they're actually forming a group, and then it's much easier to just use the search function.

The real benefit of this is that players are automatically introduced into conversation with the players in their level range who are seeking.
    There is no such thing as "level range" with level sync. If you grouped people into the level ranges for those seeking, you might as well have them just talk in tells as there would be so few in the channel.

Basically, I think SE has a lot more they should be focusing on, vs. something that basically already exists.
    (0)

Character
    Leonlionheart
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 95
    Quote Originally Posted by Selzak View Post
    Like I said, this is essentially just a nudge. Nothing is really being added that couldn't be done by sending a /tell. There's certainly a level of convenience added, but that's not really the purpose. The actual outcome of having this type of chat would be that players who are seeking within the same level range are sort of "thrown into the pool" of communicating, instead of everyone just waiting around. This works under the assumption that guiding players into communication automatically will create parties, which I think is a correct one.
    Then it's not a problem with the medium of communication but the laziness of the people looking for party. Once you put up your flag you are visible by EVERYONE who types "/sea all invite". If what you bring to the table is good enough there's no reason why anything more than /seacom is needed for finding members.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Romanova View Post
    Also can be done via shouts/lses. Not only that I'd imagine if you don't want to xp, then you'd have this filtered anyway. people arent going to want to listen to pages of "INVITE ME" unless they're actually forming a group, and then it's much easier to just use the search function.
    You'd only see this chat if you were LFP and had an EXP flag up.

Quote Originally Posted by Romanova View Post
    There is no such thing as "level range" with level sync. If you grouped people into the level ranges for those seeking, you might as well have them just talk in tells as there would be so few in the channel.
    I think that's a problem, and would really appreciate a push towards similarly leveled players comprising at least most of an EXP party. I don't think level sync intended to regularly put level 75 NINs in a Qufim EXP party, but to allow for more flexibility in building parties (like letting that level 26 guy party with a group of 20's, 22's, and 24's). I think it's unfortunate that it's used more for the former situation, and I would hardly say that there's no such thing as level range- just that it's not unavoidable.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonlionheart View Post
    Then it's not a problem with the medium of communication but the laziness of the people looking for party. Once you put up your flag you are visible by EVERYONE who types "/sea all invite". If what you bring to the table is good enough there's no reason why anything more than /seacom is needed for finding members.
    You're absolutely right, if everyone was willing to communicate with all the people who were searching and everyone was willing to lead parties then this wouldn't be very useful. However, the vast majority of people LFP are lazy and that's exactly why I think something like this, which promotes communication and initiates conversations about grouping, would be helpful.

I see this stance a lot on here and I think it's a little silly.

"Well if people..."
    "Players just need to...."
    "You can already...if you really want to..."

When talking about a broad attitude that influences the entire game, there's no point in mentioning that things would be different if people felt or acted another way.
    I remember during the RMT days when the game's economy was horrendously broken you'd hear things like:
    "Well, people just need to stop buying gil and then they'll go away."

While it's true, you have to approach problems realistically sometimes because theoretical solutions only go as far as they're going to actually be applied.
    (0)
    Last edited by Selzak; 05-20-2011 at 02:40 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3