Character
    Jamesruglia
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 90

What if "Cover" had a slight enmity-stealing effect?

A random thought I had. Never heard it suggested before, but I'm not a thorough forumgoer, either. But we use Cover to take damage for an ally, right? If we could take a bit of their enmity, it could help keep the monster off of them when it wears off, or at least make cover useful even if people move around, or something...
    (0)
    Sylph/Melmond

Character
    Teraniku
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesruglia View Post
    A random thought I had. Never heard it suggested before, but I'm not a thorough forumgoer, either. But we use Cover to take damage for an ally, right? If we could take a bit of their enmity, it could help keep the monster off of them when it wears off, or at least make cover useful even if people move around, or something...
    That's a decent idea, but the big problem is that the DD's hit the hate cap so fast that they play Enmity Roulette with the PLD when both are at cap. Even if your version of cover would take a little enmity off the dd, they'd be back at the cap on the next weapon skill and your back to square one.
    (0)

Character
    Yukichibi
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    The main problem is always the same, when you cover, your enmity go down because you take damage, and the person you cover can continue to fight, so basicaly, continue to up his enmity.

A cure IV is better than cover.

If all enmity would be transfered it may repair broken cover, but it would not change anything about the DD capability to reach the enmity cap in a blink of the eye.
    (0)
    30/05/2004 PLD - PUP - COR - SCH

Character
    Lowen
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    How about just making it a job trait? At least then PLD's inability to hold hate over anything would be irrelevant, and the equipment that enhances Cover would actually be worth carrying around (Valor Surcoat would do more than look purdy). Then change the Group 1 merit to decrease damage taken while covering an ally.

The 15 second duration is a joke.
    (0)
    Last edited by Rorrick; 05-30-2011 at 05:53 PM.

Character
    Mordanthos
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 90
    This is actually what the new Cover changes do. After testing this with a friend of mine. The test was as follows. He did double sidewinder skillchain to pull the mob, and i did nothing, no provoke, no engage, no anything, and also he never did any more actions afterwards.
    I popped Cover on him and observed at this point. And this is what happened. The monster was still agroed on the Ranger, and its attacks towards him were covered. But the next part is what amazed both of us. After about 3 covered attacks, The mob was no longer on the ranger, it was on me only, no cover messages, and i even moved to check who the mob was facing. It appears to reduce Enmity over time to the cover target, and i have Cover Merited now and i fricken love it.

I went from absolutely 0 hate at all, and he opened with 1000 sidewinder, 1000 sidewinder 500 SC, and without even engaging the mob, after 3 covered attacks, the hate was transferred to me. Its fricken awesome, and cover is the shiz now. Just imagine how easy it would be to get hate back while your actually engaged.
    (0)