Player

Which Particular Credit Cards Comply with the 3D Secure Feature?

Playing FFXI requires the use of a credit card with the 3D security feature (for reference to any new players). This means only specific Visa or Mastercards are accepted. Visa's version of the 3D security is called Verified by Visa, while Mastercards is called Securecode.

For Visa cards you can check to see if your particular Visa is compatible by going to their Verified by Visa site, and clicking "activate now". It will either help you set it up or tell you it's not applicable.

Finding cards compliant with the 3D security can be tricky though so I thought it would be a huge help to have a thread for known cards that will work.

I've used the AccountNow Mastercard (Mastercard NOT Visa version) in the past, and I can say for certain it will work.
    (0)

Character
    Starhopper
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    This has always been a royal pain in the arse for me. I have many credit cards and could only get one of my two Chase ones to work. I found it odd and annoying that one Chase CC worked while the other didn't.
    (0)

Player
    I know it sounds like a lame answer, but it's the only real answer: Check with your bank.
    (0)

Character
    Bwelchka
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 90
    If you DON'T have a credit card that is 3D Secure compliant just follow these steps

I did it today and it worked. Create the ticket through the link above, call them, give them your information, and MAKE SURE you have the Error Code that you receive when you try the credit card through PlayOnline. Also, I was put on hold for like 30 minutes so expect to wait a while before you get customer support. >_>;;
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Bwelch View Post
    If you DON'T have a credit card that is 3D Secure compliant just follow these steps
    Oh nice find, I've heard you could do this but I've never seen that official steps and info page. I've also heard that using a card from a PS2 or Xbox won't require you to use a 3D secure card. I've never tried it though so I don't know if it works, or if it used to if it still works?
    (0)

Character
    Bwelchka
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 90
    Yeah you don't need to use a 3D secure card if your playing on Xbox or PS2.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynplaine View Post
    Oh nice find, I've heard you could do this but I've never seen that official steps and info page. I've also heard that using a card from a PS2 or Xbox won't require you to use a 3D secure card. I've never tried it though so I don't know if it works, or if it used to if it still works?
    They can't require a 3D card for the consoles, because it pops open your web browser to go to the 3D Secure web site to verify the card. If the machine doesn't have a web browser, and neither 360 or PS2 have one with FFXI, then they can't make the security request.
    (0)

Character
    Mustakrakish
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    THF Lv 91
    tbh, they took my card which at the time didnt support the verified feature. i just closed the window when it popped up it went back to the registration and i clicked ok. i laughed, then started my first character. its a picky, pointless system really.
    (0)