Thread: Dual weild

Character
    Scaevola
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaik View Post
    Double negatives can denote one of two things: an inversion of the verb's original meaning. "I didn't do nothing" Not doing nothing = doing something.
    There seems to be some confusion here.

In order to be a double negative in the sense that you mean, the two negatives must be in the same clause.

I have never claimed
    independent clause; negative used to underscore absence of an as-of-yet-unidentified claim

that
    optional introductory word for dependent clause, which I omitted

every other job in the game is not pretty bad compared to MNK
    dependent clause that admittedly could do without "pretty"; internal litotes ("not bad"), clause as a whole refers to the claim the independent clause said I wasn't making

The two negatives create the effect of a litotes throughout the phrase ("I wouldn't say it isn't bad", if that serves as a simpler example)

Dig?

EDIT: "I didn't do nothing" could actually be a good example of a litotes, though not in the sense you're using it. "I didn't do nothing" could mean something distinct from "I did something" in the same way "It isn't terrible" means something distinct from "It's great".
    (0)
    Last edited by scaevola; 04-20-2011 at 04:55 AM.

Character
    Alaik
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    THF Lv 90
    The two phrases "I didn't do nothing" and "It isn't terrible" aren't really anything alike. I did not do nothing does in fact mean you did something. There's no way saying you did nothing would be you did anything. Saying it isn't terrible means, you guessed it. It isn't terrible. Could be average, amazing or just mildly poor, but not terrible. You could in fact look up litotes in any high school level textbook and get that much.

Either way, arguing linguistics dependent on intonation (as a generalization) is retarded and not the point. You say you meant something other than what people thought you meant by your wording, cool, whatever.
    (0)

Character
    Scaevola
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaik View Post
    You say you meant something other than what people thought you meant by your wording, cool, whatever.
    (pretty sure that was just you, friend; nobody else seems to have bothered reading what i typed, so i guess i should thank you for that)
    (0)

Where are people getting this 75-80% counter attack rate from? Counterstance brings your base counter rate up to 50%. With Gnarled Horn you're looking at 60% on Thf/Mnk. Not 80%. Exaggerate less.
    (0)

Character
    Scaevola
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    I think we were all referring to MNK main with that number, not /MNK.
    (0)

Player
    Don't remember anyone saying 80% counter rate, but there is a base counter of 10% too, and i imagine it's not gimped as sub, so that's a final 70%.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Laphine View Post
    Don't remember anyone saying 80% counter rate, but there is a base counter of 10% too, and i imagine it's not gimped as sub, so that's a final 70%.
    No, counterstance brings your counter rate from 10% to 50%. It is not +50%.
    (0)

Player
    hmmm, that's interesting, and a bit odd too.

I remember an account of a 75% counter rate parse somwhere. A theorical counter rate (with my old understanding) would be 80% but the 95% hit rate would put it pretty much on 75%. Can't remember with much detail anyway.
    (0)
    Last edited by Laphine; 04-23-2011 at 09:58 AM.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9