Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Character
    Kitanashia
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99

RDM tanking(post your comments and thoughts on it here)

I personally want to be able to tank as a RDM whenever the situation might call for it, for example the tank has too many mobs on them at once and nobody else in the party is situated to tank, like with most parties you got mostly DD but they arent really equipped to tank, RDM can in most cases tank fairly well after level 34 with flash and stoneskin, and even better with Utsusemi:Ichi/Ni and with the right gear
    (2)

Yeah. I still don't understand why they nerfed it to begin with. Especially after so many years we had been tanking just fine.
    (0)

Character
    Kitanashia
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I think they had some fear we would be used as tanks in a regular party or something....they should at the very least give us gear that allows us to better tank/melee for when the situation calls for it
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by wildsprite View Post
    I think they had some fear we would be used as tanks in a regular party or something....they should at the very least give us gear that allows us to better tank/melee for when the situation calls for it
    I'm pretty sure rdms have been tanking exp parties much longer than hnms.
    (0)

Character
    Kitanashia
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    hmm, well I still think if the job is capable it should be able to do it, and RDM is capable of tanking fairly well if they have the right gear and can keep hate
    (0)

Character
    Duelle
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Emnity is a big issue, though. The way our class is designed is that we have no baseline emnity tools. We get whatever we can from subbing something, but that is not nearly enough.

Emnity as a whole needs changes, but you'd have to toss in a RDM-native spell or ability to generate hate, then toss flash on top of it and do something to allow damage from enspells to generate hate as well. Then melee performance and its role in generating hate has to be re-evalued, after which re-evaluing how that interacts with jobs like /BLU, /PLD and /WAR. Much like our melee, tanking needs mechanic changes, it would seem.
    (0)

and can keep hate
    Hence the problem. Our only real hate tools now are cures, which suck for CE, and dd. We can hold hate great on weaker nms that we can nuke for 4k damage, but tanks aren't even sort of needed for such nms, so it doesn't really matter.
    (0)

Character
    Xikeroth
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Hey SE seems to have no issues with MONKS tanking weaker NMs, I think SE should re-think RDM as a whole because what they wanted us to be just isn't needed or isn't done. I remember with proper SATA from SAMs I was RDM/NIN tanking Byakko quite decently(even though he still hurt lol)

I think SE needs to take a serious look at RDM because instead of being the frontline "jack of all trades" they wanted us to be people stuck us to one trade, cure.
    (0)

RDM tanking in my experiences is a lot of fun! To do so successfully you will need a lot of patience and practice. The first thing you will want to do is get as much VIT, DEF, and -physical damage gear as you can. Second is get the highest DEF "type 1" shield you can, this will make a HUGE difference; it doesn't matter that the "type 1" shield blocks less damage per hit because it blocks more often and with Stoneskin and Phalanx on, the difference becomes null except in the case of a critical hit. Keep your opponent/s in front of you to allow the shield and parry to proc. Shield and parry might not be much in and of themselves but every "grain" of sand will be added to cement a wall of defense. Keep Aquaveil on at all times; along with -spell casting interruption rate gear(macro swap in your Warlock's Tabard for Stoneskin) and merits. You really only need for Stoneskin to last until it can be recast; if it lasts longer than that, it's just icing on the cake. Campain battles are a great place to practice tanking especially so if you can get your hands on some of the Campain specific gear. Icespikes are a RDM's best friend along with a pair of Duelist's tights. Use Enaero II to lower you foe's resistance(if any) to ice magic so that your ice spikes will have a probability of greater effect. To engage your enemies with "Composure" I think says a lot about what it takes to tank as a RDM. The ability is amazing by itself, but the real magic is in the meaning.
    (0)
    "We Redmages wield a vast array of power and as such it is incumbent upon us to govern ourselves with sober forethought to our actions."

Zade of Odin

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Zade View Post
    RDM tanking in my experiences is a lot of fun! To do so successfully you will need a lot of patience and practice. The first thing you will want to do is get as much VIT, DEF, and -physical damage gear as you can. Second is get the highest DEF "type 1" shield you can, this will make a HUGE difference; it doesn't matter that the "type 1" shield blocks less damage per hit because it blocks more often and with Stoneskin and Phalanx on, the difference becomes null except in the case of a critical hit. Keep your opponent/s in front of you to allow the shield and parry to proc. Shield and parry might not be much in and of themselves but every "grain" of sand will be added to cement a wall of defense. Keep Aquaveil on at all times; along with -spell casting interruption rate gear(macro swap in your Warlock's Tabard for Stoneskin) and merits. You really only need for Stoneskin to last until it can be recast; if it lasts longer than that, it's just icing on the cake. Campain battles are a great place to practice tanking especially so if you can get your hands on some of the Campain specific gear. Icespikes are a RDM's best friend along with a pair of Duelist's tights. Use Enaero II to lower you foe's resistance(if any) to ice magic so that your ice spikes will have a probability of greater effect. To engage your enemies with "Composure" I think says a lot about what it takes to tank as a RDM. The ability is amazing by itself, but the real magic is in the meaning.
    You have absolutely no idea what they're talking about, do you?
    (0)

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast