Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
    Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Seriha View Post
    FFXI has 20 jobs right now. Arguably too many depending on who you ask. While you could probably place Mystic Knight somewhere between RDM and DRK with a dash of PLD, hybrid jobs are having a rough time actually being hybrids because SE is doing a poor job in giving them what they need, and it doesn't help that some people within these particular job camps fight against doing just that. Personally, until SE has all their ducks in a row, I don't want to see any new jobs.
    Pretty much this. Balancing current jobs and mechanics should come before huge new additions, otherwise we just end up with two mediocre things (but one is new!) instead of one good thing.

Things aren't as out of whack as some folks advertise, but there is plenty of broken stuff laying around.
    (0)

Character
    Yandaime
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 90
    If anyone remembers the studies done by Kanican when RDM tanking was first discovered, you'll see that when you break down FFXI's Enmity system, CE (Cumulative Enmity) from spells and damage, greatly outweighs VE (Volatile Enmity) from JAs. Before the nerf, several spells that RDM were able to use all had, CE values of 50-100 each, so by simply casting Bind and Dispel back to back repeatedly, RDM was able to generate CE at a staggeringly high rate causing it to completely fold any Tanking counterpart at pulling and keeping hate. Because of this, and RDM's natural ability to survive and its superior shadow casting ability (At that time) RDM was easily the most powerful tanking class vs any NM that needed shadow tanking. I'm sure some of you might remember that with a RDM tanking, BLMs and DDs were more free to let loose than they could ever be with a PLD or NIN tanking. It was simply too hard to take hate from a RDM.

I wanted to remind everyone of this because this is why SE killed RDM tanking. Having a Mage Class, that is naturally self-sufficient, able to hold and keep better hate on major fights, is ground breaking. And for that very same reason, SE will probably not allow RDM to tank like that again. Just a heads up. It took them 2 years before they finally put their foot down on RDM tanking but they did, and they had Chuck Norris do the stomping. RDM tanking is done, for good reason lol
    (1)
    = He who hesitates is lost = (dont remember who's quote this is but I like it)

Character
    Kalsena
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    I feel like it was more of a stab at NIN/DRK than RDM/NIN, really.
    (0)

Character
    Yandaime
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 90
    Meh, I don't see why SE would find any fault in NIN tanking is the only reason I don't want to accept that. NIN/DRK was very good at pulling and holding hate, but their main CE tools were Bind and Stun and MP was a constant problem for NIN/DRK. They were better at holding hate than a PLD and Arguably on the same Level as DRK tanking? But RDM tanking trumped them. Probably the most notorious cases were RDM tanking vs JoL and getting CE so high that it took the DRK in my LS 1 BloodWeapon + Souleater + K Club and 3 consecutive Curebomb K Clubs to finally pull hate. And RDM tank used to stand-tank Kirin instead of kiting. Alot of people like to say it was done to nerf DRK/NIN but the evidence points to them stopping RDM tanking, when they killed the CE values, they did it for ALL spells we use except Cure 4... Our Bar-Spells, Dispel, Sleeps, nothing worked anymore after that and all of these are spells that NIN cant use with DRK sub.
    I'm confident SE did that to stop RDM tanking, don't get me wrong I loved being a RDM tank but it was wrong on so many levels... A RDM *Shouldnt* be a better tank than a NIN or PLD and PLDs and NINs got hit in the cross-fire cuz at that time, /DRK and /RDM were viable subs for them
    (1)
    = He who hesitates is lost = (dont remember who's quote this is but I like it)

Character
    Saevel
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    The single issue with RDM "tanking" was it took awhile to build up hate. PLD's and even NIN's had spells / abilities with a high VE value. And while CE and VE are equally valuable, VE wears so fast as to be impossible to maintain, but you tend to get more of it at once. RDM sucks as a sole tank, but absolutely shines when your dual tanking. PLD/NIN + RDM/NIN was the crazy good combo, the PLD would sentinel and blast their hate through the roof, then the RDM would slowly build it and eventually overtake the PLD. Typically took 5min for this to happen, by myself the mob would be chasing the WHM's or the BLM's before I had a chance to build super hate.

So while RDM tanking as awesome, it did have it's limits.
    (0)
    Last edited by saevel; 09-17-2011 at 11:06 AM.

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by saevel View Post
    The single issue with RDM "tanking" was it took awhile to build up haste. PLD's and even NIN's had spells / abilities with a high VE value. And while CE and VE are equally valuable, VE wears so fast as to be impossible to maintain, but you tend to get more of it at once. RDM sucks as a sole tank, but absolutely shines when your dual tanking. PLD/NIN + RDM/NIN was the crazy good combo, the PLD would sentinel and blast their hate through the roof, then the RDM would slowly build it and eventually overtake the PLD. Typically took 5min for this to happen, by myself the mob would be chasing the WHM's or the BLM's before I had a chance to build super hate.

So while RDM tanking as awesome, it did have it's limits.
    All of this, and additionally, Red Mage tanking went downhill even faster than Paladin tanking once engaging the monster entered the equation. I don't understand why something honestly situational was considered overpowered by the development team.

Tanking seems to be an aspect of the game which the development team takes a large, albeit bizarrely expressed, interest in. If a spell's enmity generation is taken advantage of by people on large, that spell is changed as soon as they can figure out how to untangle their own spaghetti code and change it.

I don't know if I should be hopeful or fearful that they would ever pay so much attention to all elements of FFXI.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by saevel View Post
    The single issue with RDM "tanking" was it took awhile to build up hate.
    False. RDM capped hate faster then both PLD and NIN. At the time RDM was the single best tank in the game. This is why it was nerfed because it was being used on everything. 3 minutes and you were capped on CE and VE, and nothing was taking it off. If you wanted DD to be able to start right away you had a THF SATA you and then go sit in his corner out of the ally to watch.
    (0)
    There is no min only max. Or something like that.

Player
    Nin/drk had access to stun/blind/sleep etc., Not sure what Nins you had that were taking significantly longer.

*3 minutes of dealing little damage to the mob
    (0)

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7