Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Player

[Suggestion] Protectra V and Shellra V Merits

With the introduction of Protect V and Shell V at Lv76 and the possibility for a Protectra VI/Shellra VI somewhere between Lv90~99, the Protectra V and Shellra V merits are loosing their effectiveness as merits.

A suggestion that I'd like to make would be to change these merits to instead enhance the effect of the spell type:

Protectra Effect
    Increases the defense of party members within the area of effect.
    Increase bonus defense by 2.

Shellra Effect
    Increase the magic defense of party members within the area of effect.
    Increase bonus magic defense by 1.

This would pretty much grant exactly the same effect as it does currently, however it'd boost the effectiveness of all Protectra/Shellra spells instead. Protectra V and Shellra V could then be implemented as magic scrolls for Lv75 or Lv76 (to follow the trend of previous Protectra/Shellra tiers being the same level as their single-target spell).
    (0)
    Last edited by Akiyama; 03-09-2011 at 08:34 PM. Reason: continuity

Character
    Niniann
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Amazing suggestion, and I completely agree.
    (0)

Character
    Nariae
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Yes, please! I've have been wishing that they would do this since the 1st lvl cap raise.
    (0)

Player
    Unless they add some -PDT or something useful to protect merits I won't be touching them anyway... few points of defense is worthless.
    (0)

Character
    Alvian
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 12
    Agreed 100%, best "Realistic" suggestion I've seen so far.
    (0)

Character
    Pesh
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    A plausible suggestion. However, single target spells are only as effective as a single point in that particular merit. So fully merited Shellra V will still beat Shell V.

I'm 100% down with the suggestion, but just wanted to clear up any confusion on -ra V versus single target V.
    (0)
    Paragon of Pigtails Excellence!

Character
    Rambus
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    I gave a similar idea on KI that they flamed to death.

My idea was this, drop the protcra and shellra merits and make them spells.

Then the merits would be job traits
    “protect potency: increases protect potency by 4%”*
    *So 60 times 1.04 if you have 1 merit in it since protect V is 60 def

“Shell potency: increase shell potency by 4%”**
    **24.2 for shell V, 24.2 *1.04=25.1, the idea is to keep the upgrades to like they are now.

having a potency job trait will allow WHMs to have the single spells have the same power as the AoEs (like shell V and shellra V with 5 merits are different, but override eachother) Lest this way people can get the same power comming from a whm with single target and the AoE version of the spell
    (0)
    Last edited by Rambus; 03-09-2011 at 03:15 PM.

Shellra V 5/5
    Protectra V 1/5 or 0/5 (since you should be subbing sch to begin with)

Increase in defense is very pointless.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesh View Post
    A plausible suggestion. However, single target spells are only as effective as a single point in that particular merit. So fully merited Shellra V will still beat Shell V.

I'm 100% down with the suggestion, but just wanted to clear up any confusion on -ra V versus single target V.
    The suggestion is more based around if a Protectra VI/Shellra VI are introduced, making the two merits redundant for any WHM that have the tier VI spells, not so much because of the single-target equivalents making the merits in any way redundant.

With the introduction of the new merit system, and the current merit system being based around Lv75, even with Protectra/Shellra VI spells being added, the Protectra/Shellra V merits still have some use for those Lv75-LvXX (whatever level tier VI will be), but for other jobs that have merits that likely to still be useful een at Lv99, the Protectra/Shellra V merits would largely end up being a waste of two slots in WHM Category 2 merits.

Equally a similar suggestion could be made for other jobs that unlock spells using merits if a higher tier is released between Lv91-99.
    (0)

Character
    Retsujo
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    I agree with this 100%. Alternatively, if we don't see an added tier of pro/shellra spells, I'd like to see a 3rd merit category with Potencies for them, rather than ra VI merits. Assuming we'll be getting a 3rd group of merits, that is.
    (0)
    Through the confinement of Valefor I found myself in the depths of Hades. It was there that I was thrown into Cerberus' Den. Only through Carbuncle's light could I find my way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast