Thread: New Font

Character
    Dragoonkiller
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99

New Font

The new font is freaking ugly, its all blocky and pixelly, i know its a small gripe but does anyone agree on this?
    (0)

Character
    Tsukinokaji
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    It's smooth and perfect. Turn up your graphics.
    (1)

Character
    Bjorne
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 5
    Now they just need to fix the buff icons so they aren't blurry blobs.
    (0)

Character
    Tsukinokaji
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomic_Skull View Post
    Now they just need to fix the buff icons so they aren't blurry blobs.
    Mine are just fine, turn up your resolution.
    (0)

Character
    Bjorne
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsukino_Kaji View Post
    Mine are just fine, turn up your resolution.
    Running at 1600x900 / 3200x1800 and buff icons are still blurry blobs because they're scaled 2x with bilinear filtering no matter what resolution you use. They need to either double their resolution or simply not use filtering on them (2x scaling without filtering would be fine)

The new font is still too low resolution, it's certainly better than the old font but they really needed to bump it up to 3x the resolution of the old font instead of 2x
    (0)

My icons andtext arejust fine full screen at my LCD's native 1920/1080 resolution (1:1 FFXI Config, NOT super sampled, and AA/AF NOT forced, set to Application Controlled on both).

This is looking more and more like an issue with the combination of monitor, card, and software being used. There was another thread with a screen shot to show the fuzzy edges--and it was perfectly clear on both my laptop and my PC. Both are running ATI cards, both displays are 96 DPI (think the laptop was ~.24 pitch and PC is .26) and the pic had no fuzziness when I pulled it up.
    (0)
    {DISCLAIMER} Posts may contain opinions based on personal experiences that are not be meant to be taken as facts. What may appear as fact with no source reference may be recollection of information with no source, and may be subject to scrutiny without source reference. Any debate over validity of said facts without source references may be considered conjecture of all parties in that debate. Player comments may not be the expressed position/consent of SE, their affiliates, or any employees of said organizations. Please take these posts with a grain of salt if you are offended by the views of the player and understand that opinions are like assholes... everyone has one, not everyone wants to hear it.

The more I look into this, the more I think it is an issue with the rendering on individual machines. This was an update to make it an "HD" compatible font---as in 1080p. Windows defaults to 96DPI for translating pixels to display size on your screen (ie, it more or less assumes to represent 1inch, it thinks it takes 96 pixels). This may not be correct depending on your dot pitch and resolution ratios. you can see some of the more common pitches here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot_pitch
    (has a link to a calculator too if you don't have the specs of your particular monitor)

1920/1080 at 23 inches comes out almost exactly to 96DPI. 1920/1200 at 23/24 inches is pretty close too. So, people with native 1920/XXXX resolutions on 22-24 inch monitors are likely very close (if not spot on) on with the actual resolution of the fonts and such, and thus are not experiencing the fuzziness some of you guys are experiencing.

You can kinda see how it can skew things if you go to the advanced properties of your display settings (right click blank spot of desktop). On the General tab you will see a setting for DPI. Change it to custom and you will see a ruler. Hold a real ruler up to it to see if the measurements are off. If so, then you have a "non-standard" dot pitch set (as far as windows, and likely your drivers are concerned). You can drag the ruller left/right to adjust the DPI to match your actual dot pitch.

IDK if adjusting the DPI translation there will clean up the font issues or not--as it has more to do with how Windows renders things like documents and pictures--but it is something someone could try I guess (I'm right at 96DPI natively, so have no need to tinker with it myslef).
    (0)
    {DISCLAIMER} Posts may contain opinions based on personal experiences that are not be meant to be taken as facts. What may appear as fact with no source reference may be recollection of information with no source, and may be subject to scrutiny without source reference. Any debate over validity of said facts without source references may be considered conjecture of all parties in that debate. Player comments may not be the expressed position/consent of SE, their affiliates, or any employees of said organizations. Please take these posts with a grain of salt if you are offended by the views of the player and understand that opinions are like assholes... everyone has one, not everyone wants to hear it.

Character
    Bjorne
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 5
    I guess on a normal sized monitor you might not see it but on a 46 inch monitor it's pretty obvious that there is some pixilation in the dark outline around the fonts. You can only see it if the letters are against a bright background. It's still much better than the old font however.

Windows font settings won't have any effect on FFXI at all because the "font" used on character names are just textures displayed on a polygon billboard floating over your character. FFXI doesn't use windows services for things like that, in fact it doesn't use windows services at all, everything it does is internal to the application. The core of the game is the same source code as the PS2 version but compiled to intel/windows with wrappers to interface it to D3D, windows networking and keyboard and gamepad input.

Note that this is NOT an excuse for the game to perform as badly as it does on modern hardware. Many applications are written this way and don't have performance problems like FFXI does. In theory the core code of FFXI should be agnostic about what platform it's running on so maybe the wrappers need optimization?
    (0)
    Last edited by Atomic_Skull; 05-13-2011 at 04:04 PM.

lol 46" monitor? That may well be your problem if the screen resolution isn't ramped up to compensate and avoid the stretching. That brings to mind holding a newspaper up to your nose--you'll see the dots that make up the picture.

The situation with Windows DPI is just a way to illustrate the issue more than anything... like I said I doubted it would do anything for the game as it pertains to how windows will render documents and such, but if someone wanted to tinker with it, feel free.

The fact that a SS of the issue comes out perfectly clear on some people's systems while blurry on others is proof enough it isn't an issue with the data provided by the game so much as the way that data is making it to the screen. So it is more an issue with the system as a whole and less with the game.
    (0)

Character
    Bjorne
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 5
    Quote Originally Posted by RAIST View Post
    lol 46" monitor? That may well be your problem if the screen resolution isn't ramped up to compensate and avoid the stretching.
    Running it in a 1600x900 window on the desktop so nothing is being stretched.

The fact that a SS of the issue comes out perfectly clear on some people's systems while blurry on others is proof enough it isn't an issue with the data provided by the game so much as the way that data is making it to the screen. So it is more an issue with the system as a whole and less with the game.
    I've seen the same issue on three different PCs, one with an HD4850 and a core 2 quad, one with an 9800 GTX and core 2 duo, and on my main PC (i7 860 + HD5850). core 2 is running XP and the core 2 quad and i7 are running Windows 7. Same exact thing on every one, the font shows visible pixel edges if you look at it under the correct circumstances. The problem is that they merely doubled the resolution of the font, that's not enough to ensure a textel to screen pixel ratio of 1:1 or less.

Basically the problem is this: When the fonts are at maximum size one pixel in the font texture = more than one screen pixel (unless you are running the game at a low resolution like 640x480). They needed to have tripled or quadrupled the font resolution to prevent this from happening.

Increasing the resolution that FFXI runs at will not make this problem better, it actually makes it worse because the higher the resolution the game runs at the more screen pixels each pixel in the font texture uses, making the pixels even more visible. Just cranking up FFXI resolution won't magically make the font better any more than it will make any other texture the game uses better. It actually makes the pixels in the textures more visible not less visible.
    (0)
    Last edited by Atomic_Skull; 05-13-2011 at 06:19 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast