Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Character
    Bojack
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Auriga View Post
    @ Cream_Soda - Your missing the part where I said the SE account system was intended for
    use with the token. The fact that pre-token you can use this system doesn't intend for it to
    be used as such forever. I can't speak for SE here but I'm sure the intention was to have
    people using tokens regularly.
    They made the token cause it was easy money lol, they don't care how many people use it. Why do you think they threw in the little Mog Satchel with the purchase. It was the perfect combo. 2 things FFXI players would always complain about: getting hacked, and not having enough inventory space. I'm sure half the people that bought a Token paid 9.99 for a Mog Satchel and deactivated their Token as soon as they got their inventory space...I know I did lol.
    (0)

Character
    Volkai
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Cream_Soda View Post
    I don't think the security token should be required to access the forums. I use forums not only at home, but also when I take my laptop out. I like to leave my token at home so that I don't misplace it.

I don't like the idea of having to carry it around w/ me everywhere just to access the forums.

Turning the token off for the forums should at least be an option.

I wonder if you have noticed that this forum uses the same SE ID Login system as the LSCOM Beta, FFXIV's Lodestone, FFXIV account management, SE Account management, FFXIV Login, and a system very similar to that seen when logging into POL.

In short, because it's a general-purpose login system, there are only two ways to have it not require a security token to log in to this forum: 1) either do not link, or subsequently unlink, a security token to your SE Account, or 2) remove the security token system from the SE ID Login system, rendering them null.

Option 2 is extremely unlikely to occur, since it's safe to assume that security tokens have caused a noticable reduction in the number of hacked FFXI, FFXIV, and by extension SE accounts. Option 1 is a personal choice for you to make.

SO it comes down to this: which is more important to you, not having to hassle with a security token to log into these forums, or having the additional, well, security of a security token protecting your FFXI (and FFXIV, if you play that) account?

In short:
    Turning the token off for the forums should at least be an option.
    It is an option, it's just a crappy option.
    (0)
    Last edited by Volkai; 03-12-2011 at 12:59 AM.
    "Don't take life too seriously, you can't get out of it alive."

Adoulin is installed but still not lighting up on your title screen? Here's what to do:
    Go to https://secure.square-enix.com/account/app/svc/login?cont=account and log in, then Select Service >>> PlayOnline / FINAL FANTASY XI >>> Add a service account (blue button) >>> input expansion software registration code.

Character
    Tigerwoods
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    SO it comes down to this: which is more important to you, not having to hassle with a security token to log into these forums, or having the additional, well, security of a security token protecting your FFXI (and FFXIV, if you play that) account?
    What do these forums have to do w/ my ffxi account though rly.

If let's say my username/password gets keylogged they can log on as me into the forums. Big deal? They can get that info whether or not I have a token.

If they try to take that and then go to the game or even directly to my squreenix account itself, they still need the token password to get in.

The least they can do is add an option

"Keep me signed in for 30 days" or something like that so I won't have to sign in at all. Then i wouldn't mind the token only having to do it once a month,
    (0)

What do these forums have to do w/ my ffxi account though rly.

If let's say my username/password gets keylogged they can log on as me into the forums. Big deal? They can get that info whether or not I have a token.
    I'm not entirely sure about the forum policy and how your actions on here could subsequently effect your Square Enix Account or FFXI characters but if someone had access to your forum account they could post malicious things on here under your name and you could be held accountable. The same link tieing your forum account and SE account together to prevent you from trolling, is the same link that could get you banned if someone hacked you.

I initially agreed with your argument but after some thought I realized I don't know the amount of personal info a hacker would be able to learn about me from my SE account if they seized my forum account. It sucks because I leave my token at home but it's not worth the risk.
    (0)
    <Ranger><Mantra><You can have this>

Player
    I've noticed my browser actually keeps me logged in indefinitely now (or at least multiple days and through reboots).
    (0)

Character
    Maiev
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 75
    It's definitely a little inconvenient. I do have spare time at work and sometime even if I have an idea to post. I just don't have the token with me. Carrying the token is a matter of preference for everyone (some people like to have them, I already have two for work, I don't want to carry a Square-Enix one lol). But options are always nice, to not "require" tokens on Login.

If anything, each account must have an active POL linked to SE account in order to be able to post on the FFXI, plus your forum username is tied with your Square-Enix account so.. trolling is rather hard. Unlike other forums, you can simply sign-up for another name.
    (0)

http://www.staronion.com, http://www.twitter.com/maiev

Character
    Aisaka
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    I no longer use the annoyance that is a Security Token.
    I don't see any good reason to require it every login just to post, either.
    If someone wants to make it so they don't have to use the token to use the forums, they should have that option.
    It's about the same as someone de-activating their token for this reason.

Also, lol@Auriga. Acting all high and mighty about something that made absolutely no sense.
    There's no real reason to troll on these forums anyway. Nobody will notice it, and you only risk your account.
    The lack of intelligence around here is already enough of a troll.
    (0)
    /人 ‿‿ 人\

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4