lol ok. If you say so.
    (0)

Character
    Quetzacoatl
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    He means to say that if DRK is buffed enough to be as powerful as SAM, which is also suffering, then DRK will just be on par with SAM, not a WAR.
    (0)

The point of that request was to give DRKs a weaponskill to be proud of. What scythe weaponskill do we have to be proud of anymore? Guillotine is losing it's luster with every level.
    (0)

Character
    Tigerwoods
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Sams don't have a ws to be proud of either @.@. Fudo is quite lackluster in comparison to Ukko's, Victory, Hi, etc.

I don't know why you're using an loljob as a basis of your comparison.
    (0)

There. I edited it. Too much fuss over a nitpick.
    (0)

Something I posted a while back:

I believe the overall expectation of the job from the community is a melee damage dealer whose specialty (what it does better than any other job) is spike damage while also holding a few unique magic tricks up its sleeve. As it stands now, however, Dark Knights have fallen far behind in damage (especially spike damage) and its casting abilities are on the verge of being obsolete.

To fix this problem properly and maintain the utmost integrity with respect to the job's position in both game mechanics and lore, I would like to propose a few routes that the job could take to fall into its own niche and reestablish balance among jobs. I will do this not with the intention of having specific abilities and traits added, but simply by extending to you certain possible paths that would match the feelings and expectations associated with the job. Ideas from these paths may be extensively altered, combined, and picked apart but I believe the game's balance would benefit greatly by defining the Dark Knight along the following lines:

PATH 1: TERROR
    In terms of lore, Dark Knight is a job that is expected to impose fear. In terms of game mechanics, the Dark Knight's most demanded specialty is the ability to Stun enemies. While this is a legitimate and proper role, the only method available to Dark Knight to accomplish this role is the spell, Stun. Not only is this spell not unique to Dark Knight, it is also available from sub jobs. In addition, Dark Knight does not excel at stunning, a stun from a Dark Knight is no better than any other stun. Weapon Bash, with its 5:00 recast is not noteworthy in this scheme.
    What I propose, as an individual who has been a FFXI subscriber for the better part of 7 years, is that this becomes the primary role of the Dark Knight. To do this, it is important to remember that a particular role must be filled throughout the duration of a task and abilities and spells should be carefully examined with regard to recast timers. A job ability (Fear), could be used on a target to occasionally inflict the Terror status upon it. This ability could be a 3:00 recast with a 1:00 duration, and the chance of the target being Terrorized could be based on any number of appropriate dynamics. Again, though, it is important to realize that this would be a staple ability of the job, and should be effective enough to give Dark Knights a unique and demanded role in most situations. Perhaps the effectiveness of this ability could be checked against the player's attack, or the amount of overall damage being done to an enemy within a given time. A Dark Knight might use this ability in preparation for a round of elemental spells by the group's mages, and provide an effective and moderately long-lasting halt on the monster's activity to maintain control of the fight.
    This route would also benefit from any spell or combination of spells that deal with stopping the monster in its tracks. The single spell, Stun, is not quite enough.

PATH 2: BIG NUMBERS
    Most people play Dark Knight expecting to deal large amounts of damage. In contrast to jobs like Monk, which deal huge amounts of damage over time, Dark Knights have been supposed to put out huge amounts of spike damage. There are a few nuances, of which I'm sure the development team is already aware of, that are keeping Dark Knights from realizing this role and I won't go into those. What I will address, however, is what seems to be the most overlooked and blatantly broken ability in the game; Souleater. This is obviously the Dark Knight's defining ability, but it is plainly impractical to utilize within the game's mechanics. Perhaps an ability like the one proposed above (Fear) might allow the player to use Souleater while keeping the monster Terrorized throughout the majority of its allotted activity. Another thing to consider would be a simple job trait (again, working on the lore of an imposing and feared Dark Knight) that reduces the enemies desire (or enmity) towards the Dark Knight either overall, or when the player inflicts large amounts of damage. Maybe this trait could activate when the Dark Knight deals a large amount of damage in a short amount of time, and cause the enemy to lose all enmity on the Dark Knight.

PATH 3: WORTHWHILE MELEE
    It seems very wrong that the Dark Knight job can not be considered a serious melee threat. That jobs like Ninja or even Dancer can be considered more capable of melee damage is extremely unfair to Dark Knights and entirely unbalanced. There are so many opportunities to fix this that it seems like a waste of time to offer suggestions, but one problem that is very apparent most players is the inadequacy of the Last Resort ability. This ability should be at least on par with the Warrior ability Berserk, and offer Dark Knight's a longer buff than what it currently allows. The downtime on Last Resort (recast - duration) should be *much* shorter, and a duration of 1:30 or 2:00 seems a lot more reasonable than what it currently is.
    Be careful with the Terror JA description. It's more like an aura that could create the possibility of a "stagger" or terrorized effect. Not a straight up Terror every few minutes.
    (0)

Character
    Rambus
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagato View Post
    [SIZE="5"]-The Dark Knight Adjustment and Suggestion Topic-[/SIZE]
    [*]An adjustment to "Guillotine" since it's damage output is lower than most Weapon Skills used by other jobs now.
    Source: Seoha - http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/th...Knight-!/page2
    [*]An effect of Stun, Amnesia, Slow, Paralyze, or any sort of attack-hindering status effect against an enemy added to a Weapon Skill for Scythe or Great Sword.
    Source: Gamiina - http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/th...a-Dark-Knight-![/LIST]
    Miscellaneous
    (Nothing yet)

*****Everything on this list is subject to change and will constantly be updated!*****

Why not buff Insurgency as well if you are interested in buffing Guillotine?

could make insurgency a crt hit ws.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Lorax View Post
    Fix Apocalypse!

I spent 18~ months upgrading my Apocalypse through hard work and a lot of gil, yet anyone with a week of work can get a weapon that completely outclasses it (I.E. Caladbolg or redemption), to fix this I say merely make the ODD effect a bit lower on emp or a tad higher on relics (20%?) and make the haste aftermath of Apocalypse Job ability haste instead of gear haste.

That's all the input I have for the time being, keep up the good work!
    This isn't a fix for DRK, not everyone has an Apocalypse.
    With relic or not, a DRK still needs to be strong (i.e. Raenryong from bahamut comes to mind, at 75, pre abyssea. Zicdeh and Gradd also comes to mind). It's not the case right now

As stated before, they should just buff Relic Weapons in general, and that has nothing to do with the thread right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cream_Soda View Post
    Sams don't have a ws to be proud of either @.@. Fudo is quite lackluster in comparison to Ukko's, Victory, Hi, etc.

I don't know why you're using an loljob as a basis of your comparison.
    Fudo is lackluster, but it's no ordinary weak WS either.
    I've seen big numbers. Maybe not as often, but still big numbers (Toxicity from Lakshmi).
    It's also very easy to gear in comparassion to Torcleaver.

I would be more than happy if Torcleaver had an gear-around-ATK instead of silly VIT mod.

But still, I understand your point Cream_Soda.
    (0)

Character
    Rezeak
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Seoha View Post
    I would be more than happy if Torcleaver had an gear-around-ATK instead of silly VIT mod.
    Well Torcleaver doesn't have an attack bonus like spinning slash so it does benefit the WS alot to capp out attack first.
    Even with the so-so mod Torcleaver does have a higher ftp mod than fudo which more than makes up for having lol VIT mod.
    (0)

Indeed, point is however, it's not a WS you can go full STR like.. say, Drakesbane.
    My basic Torcleaver gear is all around ATK indeed, and the only pieces of VIT I can use are there together with MORE atk (Twilight Helm, Shadow Breastplate and so on).

Still, all in all, torcleaver damage for me is very jumpy.
    but I think that ther eason why my torcleaver is jumpy it's because I'm not properly geared, really nothign to do with DRK in general.
    (0)

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast