Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Barspells

Character
    Aequis
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Barthundra is essentially "Barstunra" and it works against physical types of stun too. For example, if you cast Barthundra/Barthunder and are hit by the Yagudo TP move Sweep (AoE dmg and Stun effect), you have a greater chance of resisting the effect or the stun effect not lasting as long. I can even see it working as DRG/WHM in Campaign.

All physical moves with added effects (Delta Thrust, Violent Flourish, Sweep, Frypan etc.) work with and factor in magical resistance to decide whether or not the effect will process.

SE really don't have a reason for not adding dark and light resistance spells to WHM and RDM, same reason they never had a reason to hold back Enlight and Endark until recently. I still don't agree with those two spells being given to PLD and DRK respectively, but we really do need light and dark resistance spells as WHM and RDM.
    (1)

Character
    Yukichibi
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    It would be great if they were not self targeting spells, but party targeting spells.
    Having to move in the "danger zone" to put this life saver spell, you lose your focus on cure, and you can die as well.
    Well i don't know if it's good that being one of the last difficulty in battle in the game, or if it will be better if we can cast them from afar.
    (2)
    30/05/2004 PLD - PUP - COR - SCH

Character
    Mordru
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Aequis View Post
    Barthundra is essentially "Barstunra" and it works against physical types of stun too. For example, if you cast Barthundra/Barthunder and are hit by the Yagudo TP move Sweep (AoE dmg and Stun effect), you have a greater chance of resisting the effect or the stun effect not lasting as long. I can even see it working as DRG/WHM in Campaign.
    Yep, always loved Barthunder for this reason alone on Yagudo Campaign. Same with Barblizzard for that Vunkerl NM that does Bindga. It misses me 95% with Barblizzard on.

This is another reason I want Barnocta - to boost sleep resist. I can't think of a status that Barlumina would be useful against, though. Still, for completeness, the looks, and a few Banish/Holy casting mobs.
    (0)

Character
    Fetus
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 57
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaralyn View Post
    200+in barspells alone? How? I have best barpsell set to my knowledge, and have enhancing magic fully merited, though uncapped, but not by much I think? 357 uncapped as /SCH. 158 is my highest.
    I seemed to have made a typo. I meant to say try to break 200+ elemental resistance and use the appropriate Bar-status spell (refer to the examples in my post); Not that my Bar-spells alone were breaking 200+. Thanks for pointing that out.

There are a lot of ways to get over 200+ elemental resistance easily. With 8/8 Enhancing Magic, 5/5 Bar-spell Effect, Light Arts and capped Enhancing Magic, as a naked WHM/SCH, I get 130 elemental resistance per Bar-spell. There's a ton of equipment that grants more elemental resistances, Bard songs and Atmas that grant +100 elemental resistance.

Like I already said, you have to tailor yourself to one element to get the most out of Bar-spells.

And Bubeeky, if you've seen amazing results and you think that trying to get over 200+ elemental resistance is ridiculous, then why are you complaining? Just wondering.
    (0)

Character
    Bubeeky
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 92
    I'm not complaining about the bar elementals lol I said that...I'm complaining about the bar status spells...they don't actually help resist statuses enough
    (0)
    Love life, dare to dream, and LIVE ON PURPOSE!
    Also make sure to beat up any evil elvaans along the way, as we all know tarus are the ultimate race.

Character
    Fetus
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 57
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubeeky View Post
    I'm not complaining about the bar elementals lol I said that...I'm complaining about the bar status spells...they don't actually help resist statuses enough
    At the risk of sounding like a broken record, if you want more effect from your Bar-status spell, try to match it with a hefty amount of similar elemental resistance.
    (0)

Character
    Aleste
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    From my understanding (and messing around) the difference is that

the bar-element spell will help reduce the chance of the ailment landing on you, and subsequently on a partial resist, the overall duration of infliction. Whereas

the bar-ailment spells reduce the potency and duration of the effect.

Ironically, it always seems better to keep up the appropriate bar-element rather than the bar-ailment as most harmful effects are quickly and more easily -na'd off in the first place.

The only useful ones (for arguments sake) are barpetra and barsleepra... and even then sublimation counteracts the latter.

The problem is that the bar-ailment spells don't get much use because we often have to end up within range for a decent-ish casting time for a spell whose effects are below marginal.

A simple fix would be to have it work akin to aquaveil and prevent the specified ailment a number of times. Once, maybe twice (with gear).... or to have it nullify that specific ailment off a NM's aura effect. Aura of poison? Barpoisonra and negate that poison aura. Obviously if a NM has multiple auras, it would only negate that partial ailment.
    (2)
    Last edited by Aleste; 05-16-2011 at 02:04 AM. Reason: Grammar~

Character
    Bubeeky
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 92
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleste View Post
    From my understanding (and messing around) the difference is that

the bar-element spell will help reduce the chance of the ailment landing on you, and subsequently on a partial resist, the overall duration of infliction. Whereas

the bar-ailment spells reduce the potency and duration of the effect.

Ironically, it always seems better to keep up the appropriate bar-element rather than the bar-ailment as most harmful effects are quickly and more easily -na'd off in the first place.

The only useful ones (for arguments sake) are barpetra and barsleepra... and even then sublimation counteracts the latter.

The problem is that the bar-ailment spells don't get much use because we often have to end up within range for a decent-ish casting time for a spell whose effects are below marginal.

A simple fix would be to have it work akin to aquaveil and prevent the specified ailment a number of times. Once, maybe twice (with gear).... or to have it nullify that specific ailment off a NM's aura effect. Aura of poison? Barpoisonra and negate that poison aura. Obviously if a NM has multiple auras, it would only negate that partial ailment.
    Ty Aleste for wording it better than I could apparantly lol
    (0)
    Love life, dare to dream, and LIVE ON PURPOSE!
    Also make sure to beat up any evil elvaans along the way, as we all know tarus are the ultimate race.

Character
    Leonlionheart
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 95
    Bardarkra, or whatever you want to call it, would be fantastic for resisting sleeps.
    Not much use for barlightra though, although if you have one you have to have the other I suppose.

Either way, DO WANT.
    (0)

Character
    Aequis
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Barlumina / Barlight etc. would help to resist Charm, Lullaby, Requiem, Repose, Divine magic, Radiant Breath and Light of Penance, amongst other effects. CHR is light's associated stat. Dark doesn't really have one but seems to get tied to MP (ToM weapons, earrings with dark resist etc.).
    (0)
    Lv.99 RDM ~ BLM ~ WHM ~ BLU ~ NIN ~ DNC ~ DRG ~ BST ~ SMN ~ THF ~ PLD ~ SCH ~ SAM ~ COR

** I love cooking, and will be happy to take food commissions of any type. Just ask me. **

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast