Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Character
    Kyrial
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    RUN Lv 99

Retaliation Question

Never really thought about it before, but... do Retaliations give enmity (the same as a normal attack would)? I would think yes, but.... can never tell, with SE...
    (0)
    All Missions Complete
    Captain, Medal of Altana ∮∮∮∮
    Unique quests completed: 1063
    Records of Eminence completed: 801

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    I wondered that myself. Seeing how many similar features don't give enmity (additional effects, spike effects and counter), I don't think this works for retaliation either. It would be easy to test: tank 2 mobs, one by link, and retaliate on it once with a low damage weapon. Then have someone Cure IV you and see if they get hate.
    (0)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Character
    Byrth
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    I'm almost entirely sure that they don't, because I've been in a situation like what Arcon described and hate stays on me.
    (0)

Character
    Meuporg
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    imo ret gives hate but don't switch on monster hate list if you were only on aggro/link list
    easy test: get monsters (one puled one linked that hit you for 0 (get phalanxed/SSed if needed) voke linked mob, retatliate few times, when voke VE drop to 0 (30sec *war enmity) and have healer cure I for >1hp . if mob go on healer ret gives no hate, else it does
    (0)
    Last edited by hiko; 05-06-2011 at 06:07 PM.

Player
    nah I can confirm both countering and retaliating do provide enmity.
    Been in many situations where I counterstance tanking several mobs and a cureIV has pulled some of the mobs off me, and some of them stuck to me. Would depend on how many counters proc on each individual mob, and how much dmg/hits landed on me, for which mobs would turn on the healer and which would stay continuing to attack me.

Question is, is that just enmity being generated from the dmg done, or does a counter/retaliation have more/less enmity?
    (0)

Character
    Leonlionheart
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 95
    Retaliation hits give enmity.

Getting hit however reduces enmity.

So that's why even though your retaliating for like 700 damage you're still losing hate, because retaliation isn't 100% and the mob hits you more than you hit it.

Cure IV also pulls a lot of hate compared to V and VI
    (0)

Character
    Byrth
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    Again, pretty sure this is wrong. Put on Earth/Terra's staff and go pull a bunch of mandies with agro in Attohwa or Altepa. Retaliation tank one, and see if any of the unclaimed Mandies ever go for your healer. My experience is, they don't.
    (0)

Character
    Leonlionheart
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 95
    Quote Originally Posted by Byrth View Post
    Again, pretty sure this is wrong. Put on Earth/Terra's staff and go pull a bunch of mandies with agro in Attohwa or Altepa. Retaliation tank one, and see if any of the unclaimed Mandies ever go for your healer. My experience is, they don't.
    I've had them go for the healer, and had to provoke them multiple times. Using lady bell/sanguine shield, RDM healer using Cure IV. She ended up dying because of the agro...

I wasn't using any AoE WS either, since club doesn't have any.
    (0)

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Just tried it.

Aggrod a Gasher, targeted a Squib, retaliated on the Gasher.

First observation
    It does not put you on the hate list (which isn't the same as not gaining enmity).

I retaliated twice, for 254 damage total, resulting in < 700 potential CE and 1100 potential VE. That would mean after getting hit for 1000 damage and waiting for 20 seconds should reduce total enmity to 1. Then I had a friend use Curing Waltz III for 375 HP, which means, if I was on the hate list, he would have gotten more than 2000 total enmity and pulled hate, which he didn't.

Second observation
    It doesn't generate any enmity at all.

I Provoked a Pachypodium to get on its hate list and waited 30s for the hate from that to subside. I targeted a cock my friend was fighting, while facing the Pachypodium. I waited for a double Retaliation hit (a weak one, admittedly, but the numbers check out with considerable margin of error) and then instructed my friend to cure me with the weakest cure available (Curing Waltz). If Retaliation did in fact give enmity, it should keep facing me, because by that point I have stored up quite some enmity. If, however, it went for my friend, it would mean that Retaliation doesn't give enmity.

Retaliation damage: 299HP, resulting in 413CE and 1237VE, 1649 TE
    Time elapsed: 10s, resulting in 60VE/s * 10s = 600VE loss
    Damage taken: 62HP, resulting in 45CE loss
    Remaining enmity: 367CE + 1049VE = 1416TE
    HP cured: 94HP, resulting in 410TE

"Time elapsed" and "Damage taken" refer to the interval between the first retaliation hit and the moment the cure move was used, again with considerable margin of error. So if it would indeed give TP, the Pachypodium would still be facing me, but it didn't, it went after him instantly.
    (1)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Character
    Byrth
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    That's exactly what my observations have been. Retaliations do not give enmity or put you on the hate list. It's the same as counter.
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast