Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Character
    Dekoda
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99

[To the Devs] Character Transfer Service

EDIT: After a bit of discussion, the idea of simultaneously logging in on two (or more) characters on the same account came up. This would eliminate concerns of RMT activity and any other minor complications that may come from a transfer service. On paper, it would seem easier to implement and understand, making it more user friendly. As a player, I personally have no preference over either method as long as one gets added. Also note this would probably come with some sort of subscription fee to use.

Over the years, there's nothing I've wanted to see more in FFXI than the ability to transfer a character from one account to another. At the very least, the ability to "separate" a character from an account (to create a new account) would be welcomed as well. I feel that not being able to play two characters simultaneously has hindered my play experience.

Obviously, this has been a concern in the past as well (as shown here):

http://support.na.square-enix.com/fa...o=4&q=transfer

I found it interesting that the phrase "currently" is used, as if it were a possibility in the future to see this kind of service included.

I have submitted this request in the form of a suggestion before, but I have never gotten any replies. Is there (or will there ever be) any hope for this kind of service? The link suggests purchasing another Content ID to play another character simultaneously. I tried that but my other character is Lv.90 right now with several quests completed and equipment acquired, so I was quickly unmotivated to make any progress when I tried starting a new character.

I would gladly pay some kind of fee for a service like this, as well as purchase anything necessary in order to transfer a character (Content ID, Expansions, Add-ons, etc). The presence of this request in the Square Enix Support Center's FAQ sections shows I'm not alone, and I've heard players both on FFXI and on other message boards in similar situations.

Those I've encountered in game have been hesitant to speak up and make suggestions themselves because they share an account with a family member (in violation of the ToS) but would like to experience the game by playing with each other simultaneously. I believe this kind of service would be an effective solution to create such an experience and allow players to have legitimate account activity.

I'd enjoy some sort of response on the matter, I haven't heard anything on it other than what's on the Support Center. Thank you!
    (11)
    Last edited by Dekoda; 06-11-2011 at 12:30 PM.

Character
    Krisan
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    I would actually like to see this happen too, for various reasons.
    (1)

Character
    Zyeriis
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    COR Lv 90
    There is a problem here. Selling characters. Yes this can currently happen by simply selling your account to some one but, that entails giving them your credit card information in the form of credit card registration within the account settings. Being able to transfer a character to a separate account would remove this worry.

That's not to say I wouldn't like such a service, in fact I would like to be able to play on both of my characters at the same time. This, however, is impossible due to the way they set up security by not allowing one account to be logged into, at 2 different locations. Basically, this is a playonline issue that prevents us from using 2 characters on 1 account simultaneously. If they could fix that, it would still allow us to achieve what you want without the potential for rmts to come back in and start selling characters pre-leveled.

Basically: Allow us to log in with any number of our own characters at any given time.

They probably won't do that for either A) Technical Reasons (Playonline) or B) they want more money (rather than you have 2 accounts at full price you would have 1 account that only costs $1 extra a month).
    (4)

Character
    Krisan
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    You can't see prior credit card information in the account management section of POL. At the most you get the last four digits, which isn't putting you in any danger. As far as someone not changing it and charging the game off your card goes too, can dispute the charges easily enough and lock it out altogether.

Likewise you could just add a prepaid card to the account before you sell it if you're really worried about security.. It's not even inconvenient to do it that way. >_>
    (0)

Character
    Zyeriis
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    COR Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Krisan View Post
    You can't see prior credit card information in the account management section of POL. At the most you get the last four digits, which isn't putting you in any danger. As far as someone not changing it and charging the game off your card goes too, can dispute the charges easily enough and lock it out altogether.

Likewise you could just add a prepaid card to the account before you sell it if you're really worried about security.. It's not even inconvenient to do it that way. >_>
    Because if they can't directly see it, then theres no way to get to it, right?

"Oh no! I want to commit a crime but there are *'s where the credit card numbers should be! *gives up*"

Not going to argue this for a lot of reasons.
    (0)

Character
    Ravenns
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Another thing that could make it hard for them is that once you buy a expansion its good for all char on your account. Think that could be the line they would take. they could also say PoL like whats been said would have to give the new account a PoL ID and password while keeping all the progress on the char.
    (0)

Character
    Krisan
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyeriis View Post
    Because if they can't directly see it, then theres no way to get to it, right?

"Oh no! I want to commit a crime but there are *'s where the credit card numbers should be! *gives up*"

Not going to argue this for a lot of reasons.
    There's.. really no way to figure that out short of brute forcing two thirds of the credit card. And I'm not going to argue this either for quite a few reasons. You also conveniently ignored the fact that I said you can add a prepaid card to account with zero hassle and eliminate the scenario you presented entirely.
    (0)

Character
    Zyeriis
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    COR Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenmore View Post
    Another thing that could make it hard for them is that once you buy a expansion its good for all char on your account. Think that could be the line they would take. they could also say PoL like whats been said would have to give the new account a PoL ID and password while keeping all the progress on the char.
    Hmm yes, what about the registration of additional services (expansion packs). Would these get transfered to the secondary account because the original account used these to level up that character? (Would content be connected to character rather than account). In the case that it isn't carried over that would mean you would have to purchase the game again (which is fair and all) but would enough people be willing to do that for this to be relevant enough to warrant SE's time and "money"? If the case is that content gets carried over, that would increase the potential for the rmt sales of characters by being able to sell characters with full content access from a single account (then make new characters and repeat the process over and over) thus resulting in a decline in sales for the actual content. The latter is highly unlikely I'm aware but either way it is potentially flawed here.
    (0)

Character
    Zyeriis
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    COR Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Krisan View Post
    There's.. really no way to figure that out short of brute forcing two thirds of the credit card. And I'm not going to argue this either for quite a few reasons. You also conveniently ignored the fact that I said you can add a prepaid card to account with zero hassle and eliminate the scenario you presented entirely.
    Ignored it? Just because I didn't clarify that it was an option does not mean I ignored it. Do I need to clarify my position on all of your points to satisfy you? You stated the obvious, nothing more needed to be said.
    (0)

Character
    Krisan
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenmore View Post
    Since we're talking about character transfers to different accounts, I'd assume you'd only have access to the expansions registered on the account you moved your character to. This would honestly make the most sense.
    (2)

11. 05-03-2011 04:20 PM
    Reason
    Content was edited by Moderator due to violation of Forum Guidelines.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast