Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Character
    Aeyliea
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    Heh. Real rangers use Vulcan's Staff for the ranged attack and the STR, and since that is a 2hand weapon, gain the .75 bonus on attack from STR.

I've been playing RNG since before the patch the practically destroyed the class. Now, though, the real problem is DPS. A Ranger can crank out awesomely high numbers - I can spank out a 4-7K Jishnu's no problem, and critical hits can, with ODD from set bonus and aftermath, reach 2400-3000 damage for a single ranged attack - even with that, a Ranger is a lesser class of damage dealer. Outside of abyssea we still do well enough, inside abyssea, however, we are way down the list.

The problem in abyssea is the kind of atma's we DO NOT get. Any swinging DD can get triple attack and double attack from a variety of atma's that greatly increase their damage output. Rangers get nothing of the sort. A ranger with perfect gear going against a average geared warrior outside of abyssea, and that warrior will get its backside thumped so hard in terms of sheer damage output that it'd be embaressing. Inside abyssea, that same WAR can destroy a ranger, simply by putting on atma of the apocolypse and getting some good procs on triple attack during weapon skills.

There needs to be some kind of atmas that increase snapshot, or grant double shot effect, or increase rapid shot. At current, there are only a few atmas that increase ranged accuracy and attack; the best ranger atma's currently are razed ruins, strong arm, and voracious violet - and those (excluding RR) only for the base stats they grant, not their other effects.
    (0)

Windurst is my home but other nations are also Rank 10
    Character
    Crazze
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    I am not understanding the person who posted that THF out damages RNG. I have both jobs and if I go balls to the wall on both jobs RNG will win in damage output hands down. The problem is I can't go balls to the wall with RNG or I end up with my face in the ground.

We need some kind of enmity down trait or something otherwise we will never be able to compete with other DD's because I mostly find myself holding back on RNG because of our complete lack of defensive capabilities. We have no native parrying skill whatsoever our evasion skill is equal to a BLM. Yet when I play my BLM I have stoneskin, manawall, and enmity dowse. RNG has camouflage which any RNG knows is next to useless.

As for Atma's we have Stout Arm though the need to make the range attack on that superior since attack is superior. Then we have Drifter great atma for rng acc and att. Then we get the all mighty sea daughter 5/tick regain and the slow doesn't effect us in the slightest.

Damage is in no way at all a problem for a decent Ranger the problem is our enmity and our survivability. Instead of addressing those issues, SE gives us a worthless ability "Bounty Shot" hell at least make it stack with TH and let it be used as an automatic TH +1 proc. THF got mob up to TH9? Ok time to bounty shot and make that TH10. Instead it is worthless and we still can't survive if we pull hate.

Oh and for the person who posted that RNG is useless in abyssea is completely unfounded and wrong. RNG covers half of the blue procs during piercing time. Yea it's stupid that we can't help proc red but what is worse is we can't even help farm amber light since flaming arrow for some reason unbeknown to me it gives ruby light, while other ele ws's even none red proc'ing ones still produce amber light at least.
    (0)
    Last edited by Crazze; 03-13-2011 at 02:37 AM.
    90 Jobs THF BLM RNG SAM RDM WAR

Character
    Rambus
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by noodles355 View Post
    Furthermore, the way ranged attacks are calulated makes this a large problem, not just a mild-annoyance:
    A Melee attack is calulated instantly at the start of the turn. This means anytime during their delay phase they can cast a spell, or use a JA or WS or item etc. Ranger can't. When you fire a shot, you first have Aiming delay, based off the delay of your gun/bow/xbox. The only way to interupt this delay is to move about, but even if you move about the cancelation of the shot is not instant, you still have to wait the same amount of time. After you fire your shot you then have a 2nd phase of delay where you can do nothing at all (The old: "You must wait longer to perform that action" notice. Essentially, once you start a shot, you are stuck shooting untill the shot has completely fired. During this time you can't do anything. If the enemy is attacking you it's very easy to take a lot of damage (especially from NMs) during this time. The only option you have is to throw on -PDT gear, but as I stated above, ranger has very limited access to -PDT gear.
    To be honest, if that was a real situation and a monster was attacking me, I wouldn't just stand there and take a beating whilst doing nothing for 5 seconds. I'd stop aiming and try to defend myself! Would it be possible to interupt the aiming phase of a ranged attack, cancelling it, to use a JA or spell?
    There are other things that makes that message pop up thats annoying. If you run around to stop a spell you still have that "You must wait longer to perform that action" you must /heal to stop that and the same holds true for range atttacks. Using items can cause a bigger then needed delay as well. It is just bad programing or ps2 limtations or something.
    (0)

Windurst is my home but other nations are also Rank 10
    Character
    Crazze
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    Problem with that Rambus is that you can't rest while engaged with a mob.
    (0)
    90 Jobs THF BLM RNG SAM RDM WAR

Player
    you talk about rng not beign able to put up the dmg like other dd's. That depends on how badass of a rng you are. I have a KC and gandiva and well, i can pretty much embarass the other dd's if a mage can keep me alive
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeyliea View Post
    Heh. Real rangers use Vulcan's Staff for the ranged attack and the STR, and since that is a 2hand weapon, gain the .75 bonus on attack from STR.

I've been playing RNG since before the patch the practically destroyed the class. Now, though, the real problem is DPS. A Ranger can crank out awesomely high numbers - I can spank out a 4-7K Jishnu's no problem, and critical hits can, with ODD from set bonus and aftermath, reach 2400-3000 damage for a single ranged attack - even with that, a Ranger is a lesser class of damage dealer. Outside of abyssea we still do well enough, inside abyssea, however, we are way down the list.

Real rangers use Kraken Club, and i don't know how you can say RNG is a lesser class of dmg dealer in abyssea. I can put out the massive dmg over any other melee in abyssea. Jishnu's Radiance every 10 seconds will leave the other melee with face in palm
    (0)

Character
    Hoshiku
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazze View Post
    Oh and for the person who posted that RNG is useless in abyssea is completely unfounded and wrong. RNG covers half of the blue procs during piercing time. Yea it's stupid that we can't help proc red but what is worse is we can't even help farm amber light since flaming arrow for some reason unbeknown to me it gives ruby light, while other ele ws's even none red proc'ing ones still produce amber light at least.
    How often do you proc blue in abyssea? My linkshell rarely does and they target blue proc mobs at blunt mode since tank party has all those triggers covered. Most focus is proccing red for KI and grellow for drops. In fact if red !!! didn't exist I think most DD outside of the tank party would find themselves stuck on BLM BLU or BRD. Also as far as amber goes, get an armageddon. I solo amber light for my ls (sadly on COR since we don't bring RNG to things).
    (0)

Player
    Everyone else also goes for blunt proc because it only requires 2 jobs, if your group is big enough piercing is second easiest only requiring 3 and one is Thf which you should be bringing anyway. The only time which requires a disgusting amount of jobs to 100% proc (although war can cover a bit over half of them) is slashing.
    If you're going for armor drops blue+TH so you aren't wasting time is the way to go, if you're missing blunt and spilling over to piercing Rng has some use at least.
    (0)

Character
    Hoshiku
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    There have been some nights when we brought a full blue trigger party but items that drop frequently that each person only needs one of (that is equipable on multiple jobs) quickly got checked off wantlists. At this point we spend a majority of our abyssea time farming af3+2 upgrades and emp weapon upgrades. I think most endgame shells would tell a similar story.
    (0)

Character
    Thetruemonkey
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Superchicken View Post
    Real rangers use Kraken Club, and i don't know how you can say RNG is a lesser class of dmg dealer in abyssea. I can put out the massive dmg over any other melee in abyssea. Jishnu's Radiance every 10 seconds will leave the other melee with face in palm
    Everyone will play RNG their own way. So to say a real RNG uses this weapon or that, is an opinion not a fact. In my opinion only gimp RNGs use Kraken Club. Yeah sure you MAY spam weapon skills more often, however and what cost? To make it so you actually hit a decent amount of time on that club you must sacrifice some Ranged Accuracy/Ranged Attack for melee Accuracy. Even if you macro the good Weapon Skill gear in, youa re still sacrificing a Weapon that would benefit your Weapon Skill better. Also, as Superchicken says, it only works IF, and only if, the mages can keep you alive from all the extra enmity. I'm sure I speak for many groups out there when I say the extra attention on a glass jawed job is not desired.

I'm sure at least one numskull who swears by the Kraken Club is going to try and rage and flame me for saying this, but that just proves the point that they truly are NOT a team player, which is what this game is mostly about.
    (1)

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast