Character
    Asanarama
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 90

"regimen", not "regime"

Like its precursor Fields of Valor, Grounds of Valor is a battle system based around the concept of training regimes.
    The correct word to use here is "regimens", not "regimes". They are part of a trio of words, also including "regiment", that are often confused.
    (0)
    Last edited by Asanarama; 04-28-2011 at 02:42 PM.

Character
    Henihhi
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 90
    A lot of things are also translated here from different languages. I am sure most people can realize what was intended and do not need the grammar nazis making new threads. No offense but this is about the third or so thread I have seen pop up lately over minor translation mistakes. Then again, after reading this and realizing the IQ of some things I have seen posted, this may be very needed.
    (2)
    A drunk man's words are a sober man's thoughts. Here is a game most of you can handle.

http://www.notdoppler.com/superpressspacetowinactionrpg2009.php

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    I'm pretty sure it's based on the french word "regime", the plural of which is "regimes", and is also occasionally used in the english vernacular.
    (1)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Character
    Ubasti
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 5
    According to Mirriam-Webster, regime is a wholly interchangeable synonym of regimen.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/regime

Forgive me if I take their word over yours.
    (3)

Character
    Asanarama
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 90
    I'm just pointing out the mistake. It's up to SE if they want to fix it. I can probably think of several things I'd rather see them work on first though.

regime on dictionary.com
    1. a mode or system of rule or government: a dictatorial regime.
    2. a ruling or prevailing system.
    3. a government in power.

regimen on dictionary.com
    1. Medicine/Medical . a regulated course, as of diet, exercise, or manner of living, intended to preserve or restore health or to attain some result.
    2. regime ( defs. 1, 2 ) .
    3. Grammar . government ( def. 9 ).

So "regimen" can refer to the same thing as "regime", but not vice versa.

regiment on dictionary.com
    1.Military . a unit of ground forces, consisting of two or more battalions or battle groups, a headquarters unit, and certain supporting units.
    2. Obsolete . government.

Why am I sharing all this? Because maybe someone out there besides me will get a laugh out of the following sentence: "Under the new regime, each regiment of soldiers will undergo a grueling new training regimen." I like to think of myself as more of a grammar clown than a grammar nazi.
    (1)

Character
    Asanarama
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 90
    Daremo and I posted at the same time. Mirriam-Webster > dictionary.com, so I concede. I didn't know they had a free online dictionary. I'll use that instead from now on.
    (0)

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    (0)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Character
    Sagian
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 66
    Quote Originally Posted by Asanarama View Post
    I'm just pointing out the mistake. It's up to SE if they want to fix it. I can probably think of several things I'd rather see them work on first though.

regime on dictionary.com
    1. a mode or system of rule or government: a dictatorial regime.
    2. a ruling or prevailing system.
    3. a government in power.

regimen on dictionary.com
    1. Medicine/Medical . a regulated course, as of diet, exercise, or manner of living, intended to preserve or restore health or to attain some result.
    2. regime ( defs. 1, 2 ) .
    3. Grammar . government ( def. 9 ).

So "regimen" can refer to the same thing as "regime", but not vice versa.

regiment on dictionary.com
    1.Military . a unit of ground forces, consisting of two or more battalions or battle groups, a headquarters unit, and certain supporting units.
    2. Obsolete . government.

Why am I sharing all this? Because maybe someone out there besides me will get a laugh out of the following sentence: "Under the new regime, each regiment of soldiers will undergo a grueling new training regimen." I like to think of myself as more of a grammar clown than a grammar nazi.
    Great sentence! This is the type of sentence they use in elementary school to demonstrate the different meanings of homonyms or homophones. These words aren't either of those things, but close enough that people get them confused.

You get a gold star!
    (1)