Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Character
    Mordru
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    Comments about MP being infinite or running out are always relative to what you're doing on any job. Before the sublimation update and /RDM 40, and obtaining any atmas, sure I enjoyed sublimation merits in Abyssea a bit. After those things though, of course I considered MP to be infinite, but only if I played the job the way I always did before that. Now that MP is so plentiful, I spam T3 nukes even in LA, and AOE Cure outside parties wildly to the point that I can run out of MP with perfect use of atmas, temps, and JAs that recover it, if I try. Can I cover what I'm supposed to or always did, and never run out? Of course. Can I blow it all by spamming spells for fun or extra utility? Of course.

With that in mind, I still currently don't look at sublimation merits as useful anymore. Even with spell spamming, a max sublimation is so miniscule I don't even notice it. I liked them in campaign, and in Aby before obtaining atmas and level 80, but now not so much, even after changing to constant spell spam.

In the end I agree the only useful merits in the current game are Helix acc/att, at least one in enlightenment, and stormsurge (mostly outside Aby, but then not even that great). IMO stormsurge should max at 15 and/or scale with enhancing magic skill, and should buff other traits and spells of the same element (resist traits, bar spells), possibly with the use of another JA.

In addition to the ones I mentioned above, I'd like to see merits for:

Klimaform duration and recast
    This is also pretty useless in Aby right now with MACC being what it is, but the added effect on AF3 boots is nice. It just sucks that it can be taken advantage of so infrequently.

Animus and Adloquium potency
    For these, I think an overhaul in effectiveness is in order. Either an increased base effect, or a JA set that enhances them based on current numerical parameters (target enmity, HP, TP% for example)
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Raksha View Post
    By half-ass healing I mean the piss poor job we do of it because of only being able to spam cure4. Even so several accession > cure4s in succession is a big MP drain. Maybe you just low-man everything where you only have to heal 1 or 2 guys, but during LS events I support heal an entire alliance and it isnt easy.
    I cannot feasibly see the point in doing anything with more than 5 other people at this point in the games life. And that's pushing it. Sure if you're healing an Alliance MP might be an issue, but still playing in 2005 would be more of an issue to me in that case.

Looks who's bragging now.

If you always have infinite MP, even spamming ebullience, then you arent killing fast enough. Do you stop to rebuff after every kill or something?
    Going to have to talk me through that. I'm not killing fast enough? MP becomes an issue the shorter the fight? ...What? I do hope that's a typo, because MP will only become an issue on long fights and as I've already asserted I lowman that's probably the case, yet MP still isn't an issue, odd.
    If you mean NQ azure light farming and what not, I really don't care about that. Between restore chests and endless temps MP definitely shouldn't be an issue there, though.
    If I was killing too slowly and buffing constantly then MP would probably be an issue. Really, I say I'm not running out of MP, if anything that means I'm killing faster than I should.

And If 50 MP is useless, then so are hp/mp merits let's whine about them. If 7INt from stormsurge is uselss then so is 5INT from merits.
    Considering this topic is about Scholar merits and our discussion is about Sublimation merits, I'll refrain from complaining about HP/MP merits, but yes, they are fairly useless (though a flat out +MP is far more useful than extra Sublimation MP for what it's worth); as are the majority of weapon and magic skill merits. The whole merit system is pretty much trash to be honest. If I feel like it I'll make an entire bitchpost at how awful merits are in general.

I agree we need better group1 merits (sublimation included) and i'm not saying that sublimation merits are the best thing ever, but they aren't 'useless'.
    I'm using 'useless' in a fairly harsh tone, I know, but compared to what Modus merits used to be, they are. And I've already stated numerous times that I hope SE addresses their idiocy in regards to that ability. MP isn't an issue for most people, even though I'm not going to be spending merits on anything else I'd rather not undo my Modus merits to merit something I'll gain no noticeable benefit from.
    (0)
    Last edited by Sotek; 05-02-2011 at 12:57 AM.

Character
    Raksha
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Sotek View Post
    I cannot feasibly see the point in doing anything with more than 5 other people at this point in the games life. And that's pushing it. Sure if you're healing an Alliance MP might be an issue, but still playing in 2005 would be more of an issue to me in that case.

Going to have to talk me through that. I'm not killing fast enough? MP becomes an issue the shorter the fight? ...What? I do hope that's a typo, because MP will only become an issue on long fights and as I've already asserted I lowman that's probably the case, yet MP still isn't an issue, odd.
    If you mean NQ azure light farming and what not, I really don't care about that. Between restore chests and endless temps MP definitely shouldn't be an issue there, though.
    If I was killing too slowly and buffing constantly then MP would probably be an issue. Really, I say I'm not running out of MP, if anything that means I'm killing faster than I should.

Considering this topic is about Scholar merits and our discussion is about Sublimation merits, I'll refrain from complaining about HP/MP merits, but yes, they are fairly useless (though a flat out +MP is far more useful than extra Sublimation MP for what it's worth); as are the majority of weapon and magic skill merits. The whole merit system is pretty much trash to be honest. If I feel like it I'll make an entire bitchpost at how awful merits are in general.

I'm using 'useless' in a fairly harsh tone, I know, but compared to what Modus merits used to be, they are. And I've already stated numerous times that I hope SE addresses their idiocy in regards to that ability. MP isn't an issue for most people, even though I'm not going to be spending merits on anything else I'd rather not undo my Modus merits to merit something I'll gain no noticeable benefit from.
    Sounds pretty reasonable.

I dont play much anymore, but when I do it's LS events with 1+ full alliances, In those circumstances it's pretty easy to run out of mp.

Even doing stuff like magian staff trials I had to stop and /heal occasionally. That was WITH sublimation/convert/temps/ISL.

Not saying you should kill your current enemy faster, but that you should kill more enemies in quick succession. Aero5 costs ~230MP in dark arts and has a recast of 37s max. It would take 23 tics of MM atma to refresh that MP back 23*3= 69s So if you're nuking whenever the timer is up you're gonna need more than just MM atma. Sublimation is safer than convert, so I use it more often.

Anyway, I dont want to spend all day arguing about mediocre merits, let's get this discussion back on track.

What if sublimation merits gave an extra +1 mp/tic instead?
    (0)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2