Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Character
    Spicyryan
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Dihlyte View Post
    My aim is to create a guide that is comprehensive, to the point, and contains information on a single page.

I notice BGwiki/FFXIclopedia prefers to spilt their information on as many different pages as possible, and likes to include additional information such as a missions release date, optional dialog, etc. My goal is again, to create a comprehensive and to the point guide.

BGwiki stated to me personally that they prefer to keep things how they are so I chose to make a guide here.

Once I finish the guide (at least the missions) I plan to share its existence with others.

There are also no adds on the official forums.

Additionally, those sites allow users to edit the work of other users, and I would not like to spend the time editing something to have someone go back and add more information that contradicts the purpose of the guide itself. (The point being comprehensible and "to the point" style guide.)
    What did "BG wiki tell you"? Just to confirm what the issue is. There may simply be a misunderstanding.
    (0)

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Dihlyte View Post
    My aim is to create a guide that is comprehensive, to the point, and contains information on a single page.

I say go for it, if it makes you (and potentially others) happy. Some people may find your guide easier to read. What's to lose if you enjoy doing it?

Not sure how many bots read guides though.
    (2)

Sirmarki, ex-Fenrir, a young warrior, in the heyday.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    It's nice that you're doing this but this space wasn't really designed for this. Any one of the FF wikis / resource sites would be better suited.

Additionally, those sites allow users to edit the work of other users, and I would not like to spend the time editing something to have someone go back and add more information that contradicts the purpose of the guide itself.
    Generally:
    - Guides do not get edited by other users. Yes, it is possible, but generally people have the courtesy not to.
    - If people want to suggest changes, the talk pages make that easy and no one has to commit to anything.
    - If someone makes problematic edits to a page, it is a simple task to revert the changes.
    (1)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 02-09-2024 at 04:42 AM.

Character
    Emmih
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    It's nice that you're doing this but this space wasn't really designed for this. Any one of the FF wikis / resource sites would be better suited.

Generally:
    - Guides do not get edited by other users. Yes, it is possible, but generally people have the courtesy not to.
    - If people want to suggest changes, the talk pages make that easy and no one has to commit to anything.
    - If someone makes problematic edits to a page, it is a simple task to revert the changes.
    I would like to reiterate what was said previously.

BGwiki/FFXIclopedia likes to create multiple pages for content and already have their design in place.

If I were to edit BGwiki/clopedia as you seem to suggest, I would have to completely redesign their entire website.

For example, mission guides would be "guides" containing only the information needed, instead of how it is currently designed to be "informational" and contain all information such as the quest release date, game history, optional dialog NPC's and many many other features I will not like to include.

For you and other players to suggest I use these sites is a direct contradiction to their seemingly purposeful design choices.

Another example is creating a weapon such as Twashtar. They have like 25 pages on an item called "Twashtar" and my aim will be to include all information on a single page.

The forums or reddit would be the perfect site to create these guides that I aim to create.

Thank you for your suggestion though.

I will continue to utilize the forums and once I finish I will create posts to start to share it's existence.
    (1)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    If I were to edit BGwiki/clopedia as you seem to suggest, I would have to completely redesign their entire website.
    You've got some strange logic. No, you don't have to redesign their site. You just create a new page called "Guide: Getting Started in Vana'diel" or something like that. Load it up with whatever it is you want to say. Then, find an appropriate place where it can be linked from.

FFXIclopedia also already has a dedicated category for player-written guides and also has better information on the basics, where BG is more suited to advanced users. So I would suggest FFXIclopedia between the two in this case.

It's really not hard, and if you really need it there are those who could assist you.

I will continue to utilize the forums and once I finish I will create posts to start to share it's existence.
    You can do whatever you like, but these forums get very little traffic, and for the most part it isn't new users or distant returnees. We're trying to help you get the most out of your well-intentioned efforts. But it seems very odd to me that you're writing off the resources that new players actually use in favor of a place that only a few grizzled veterans tend to visit. Even a blog site, or perhaps the FFXI subreddit would also be more effective places for something like this.

For you and other players to suggest I use these sites is a direct contradiction to their seemingly purposeful design choices.
    We're suggesting these things because they actually welcome guides, FFXIclopedia in particular. There is no contradiction here. Like I said, FFXIclopedia has a category section SPECIFICALLY for guides:

https://ffxiclopedia.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Guides

I'm trying to understand why you have such a defiant attitude towards those trying to help you.
    (1)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 02-09-2024 at 10:49 AM.

Character
    Emmih
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    I'm trying to understand why you have such a defiant attitude towards those trying to help you.
    I actually was going to say "I could possibly create a individual guide such as the -Quickstart 1-119 Guide-" on BGwiki, but I don't see the difference.

As far as "defiant" I am not sure what you mean.

I already said BGwiki allows anyone to edit anything, both FFXIclopedia and BG do this, for being my reason why I am reluctant.

I personally consider reluctance and defiance two quite different behaviors.

I even wouldn't consider my behavior reluctance much either, considering I already reached out to BGwiki specifically.

What I fail to gather is why you seem more opposed to me using the forums instead of a wiki site even after I explained my reasoning.

I'm not defiant at all really. If BGwiki -want- the guide I can easily copy paste it, then make some minor formatting edits.

Even someone else could do that, so I really don't see the sticking point honestly.

The only "problem" I'm seeing is people not wanting me to do this on the forums.

I already tried BGwiki, and they were not very encouraging, which is why I already said, I chose to do it here. (They were actually discouraging, because they told me they would not like me to make changes.)

At that time I didn't consider making a separate guide, but it seems pointless in my mind to create something that already exists on BGwiki multiple times over.

Perhaps instead of saying I'm defiant, maybe you could explain why you feel me doing this here or creating a separate page on a wiki would be any different?

The only people who would know about the guide on a wiki in my mind would not exceed the number of people being told of its existence regardless of its URL.
    (2)

Character
    Emmih
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Haldarn View Post
    Also, I think it's mandatory that you have ASCII Art for FFXI in the title.
    I just tried this actually lol.

Unfortunately the FFXI forums does not recognize or auto-deletes multiple spaces.

So "Final Fantasy XI" in ASCII comes out to look like:
    ###### # ####### # # ###
    # # # # ## # # ## # # ##### ## #### # # # # #
    # # ## # # # # # # # ## # # # # # # # # # #
    ##### # # # # # # # ##### # # # # # # # # #### # # #
    # # # # # ###### # # ###### # # # # ###### # # # # #
    # # # ## # # # # # # # ## # # # # # # # # #
    # # # # # # ###### # # # # # # # # #### # # # ###
    (1)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I already said BGwiki allows anyone to edit anything, both FFXIclopedia and BG do this, for being my reason why I am reluctant.
    And I explained to you why this isn't really a problem.

Guides generally do not get edited by other users. Talk pages allow for suggestions. And if someone makes undesirable edits you can simply revert them in about 2 seconds. I've admin'd multiple wikis over the years and I assure you even the worst changes are easy to fix.

As far as my comments about your attitude, this centers around how dismissive you've been of all the advice and suggestions presented to you. It doesn't really seem like you've evaluated what was said, and are just sticking to your guns regardless of the merit or lack thereof of any of the ideas presented.

The only "problem" I'm seeing is people not wanting me to do this on the forums.
    it's not that we don't want you to do it, it's simply us telling you that it's not really the best solution. On these forums, you get very little exposure to your target audience: New/inexperienced users. The forum structure itself really isn't great for guides, which is why you don't really see many of them here if you look around. That and just really, not very many FFXI players actually utilize these forums.

Forum threads get buried over time and can be hard to find, even knowing what you're looking for using the iffy search function. If you proceed with this guide here, once you're done with it and we stop talking about it, it will quickly just fade into obscurity.

]s I said before: You can do whatever you want, I'm not ordering you or demanding that you do anything in particular. But I do hold the opinion that you might want to re-evaluate your stance, because doing so would likely allow you to make more of an impact. These words are posted here as a service to you, not as a command to do something. I also make this suggestion to you because while there are lots of guides on FFXIclopedia, most of them are pretty out of date. So it would benefit from something a little more current. But that's just my thoughts on the matter.

Regarding ascii art: There is a way around this in the form of code tags: [code ] [/code ]

Code:
    ###### #                           #######                                            #     # ### 
    #             # #    #   ##   #         #         ##   #    # #####   ##    ####  #   #     #   #   #  
    #             # ##   #  #  #  #         #        #  #  ##   #   #    #  #  #       # #       # #    #  
    #####   # # #  # #    # #         #####   #    # # #  #   #   #    #  ####    #         #     #  
    #            # #  # # ###### #         #       ###### #  # #   #   ######      #   #        # #    #  
    #            # #   ## #    # #         #       #    # #   ##   #   #    # #    #   #       #   #   #  
    #            # #    # #    # ######    #       #    # #    #   #   #    #  ####    #      #     # ###
    This will use a monospaced font which will work with ascii art. now, I copied the text above so it doesn't come out right as some spaces were removed. But if you insert the needed spaces it will work. So if you insist on sticking with this flawed platform, you can at least add a little touch of coolness.
    (1)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 02-10-2024 at 09:26 AM.

Character
    Haldarn
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Code:
         ##### ##       #####  #  ##### #     ##       ##            ##### /                                             
      ######  /### / ######  / ######  /#    #### / /####         ######  /                                              
     /#   /  /  ##/ /#   /  / /#   /  / ##    ###/ /  ###        /#   /  /                                               
    /    /  /    # /    /  / /    /  /  ##    # #     /##       /    /  /                                                
        /  /           /  /      /  /    ##   #      /  ##          /  /                                                 
       ## ##          ## ##     ## ##    ##   #      /  ##         ## ##                                                 
       ## ##          ## ##     ## ##     ##  #     /    ##        ## ##                                                 
       ## ######    /### ##     ## ##     ##  #     /    ##        ## ##                                                 
       ## #####    / ### ##     ## ##      ## #    /      ##       ## ##                                                 
       ## ##          ## ##     ## ##      ## #    /########       ## ##                                                 
       #  ##     ##   ## ##     #  ##       ###   /        ##      #  ##                                                 
          #     ###   #  /         /        ###   #        ##         /                                                  
      /####      ###    /      /##/          ##  /####      ##    /##/           /                                       
     /  #####     #####/      /  #####          /   ####    ## / /  ############/                                        
    /    ###        ###      /     ##          /     ##      #/ /     #########                                          
    #                        #                 #                #                                                        
     ##                       ##                ##               ##                                                      

##### ##       ##            ##### #     ##     /###           /    ##             #######       ##### /    ##  
      ######  /### / /####         ######  /#    #### / /  ############/  /####           /       ###  ######  /  #####  
     /#   /  /  ##/ /  ###        /#   /  / ##    ###/ /     #########   /  ###          /         ## /#   /  /     #####
    /    /  /    #     /##       /    /  /  ##    # #  #     /  #           /##          ##        # /    /  ##     # ## 
        /  /          /  ##          /  /    ##   #     ##  /  ##          /  ##          ###            /  ###     #    
       ## ##          /  ##         ## ##    ##   #        /  ###          /  ##         ## ###         ##   ##     #    
       ## ##         /    ##        ## ##     ##  #       ##   ##         /    ##         ### ###       ##   ##     #    
       ## ######     /    ##        ## ##     ##  #       ##   ##         /    ##           ### ###     ##   ##     #    
       ## #####     /      ##       ## ##      ## #       ##   ##        /      ##            ### /##   ##   ##     #    
       ## ##        /########       ## ##      ## #       ##   ##        /########              #/ /##  ##   ##     #    
       #  ##       /        ##      #  ##       ###        ##  ##       /        ##              #/ ##   ##  ##     #    
          #        #        ##         /        ###         ## #      / #        ##               # /     ## #      #    
      /####       /####      ##    /##/          ##          ###     / /####      ##    /##        /       ###      #    
     /  #####    /   ####    ## / /  #####                    ######/ /   ####    ## / /  ########/         #########    
    /    ###    /     ##      #/ /     ##                       ###  /     ##      #/ /     #####             #### ###   
    #           #                #                                   #                |                             ###  
     ##          ##               ##                                  ##               \)               ########     ### 
                                                                                                      /############  /#  
                                                                                                     /           ###/    

###          ##            #####  #                                                                                
     /####       ####  /      ######  /                                                                                  
    /   ###      /####/      /#   /  /                                                                                   
         ###    /   ##      /    /  /                                                                                    
          ###  /                /  /                                                                                     
           ###/                ## ##                                                                                     
            ###                ## ##                                                                                     
            /###             /### ##                                                                                     
           /  ###           / ### ##                                                                                     
          /    ###             ## ##                                                                                     
         /      ###       ##   ## ##                                                                                     
        /        ###     ###   #  /                                                                                      
       /          ###   / ###    /                                                                                       
      /            ####/   #####/                                                                                        
     /              ###      ###
    ^if you wanna go old-school FF, or MODERN old-school v

Code:

:--:                                                                            
                                                                        ..+=.                                                                             
                                                                        -+----:.                                                                          
                                                                       .+.     .:.                                                                        
                                                                       .      :=::=.                                                                      
                                                                              =-. :-.                         .                                           
                                                                              .++.:-:        ..             .-                                            
                                                                              -++-:=+..    :-+-:            -                                             
                                                                            :=++=-=+++:.   .++:-           =.                                             
                                                                  .--=-.   -+=-==++==--:.:-=++=.          -.                                              
                                                                  -.-+=-   -+:.: :----=:-==+-:-:=--:.   .-                                                
                                                                  .  :.: :--===:-===+==:=+:.:--=-.--   .-   ....                  ==:                     
                                                                    :==. .-=+=-=--+++=-=-==-:-==+::=... :---=+=+..              .=+==:                    
                                            ..:.              .    .--  ..  ===-==--=---  .-=:--==:=--.: .====--:=-.          .-=-: .                     
                                               .::.            - .-----==:-:::--==-.:::..:   -=-:-=-=-==  :===--====-       :==-.                         
                                                  .::.         .=---==.-:-=::-::  .:--: .==: :=----:---=: .-=----===.      --:                            
                          .                          .::      .-==- =: :==:==-:.  ::---. ---::--::--:--::   :-=-==-:..   :=:                              
                          .  .    .         ..          .::-.---  -::::::  ---:....::--::::-.:-: --:..--:    :::---....:-..                               
                                 ..           ::         ..::--  --::.::::--...--:.:     .--. :-: :-::----::::---:::.--. ::                               
                      .                  .     -            ::...:::   ::::  :::.::.   .   .:: .: :::.::.:::  .::.:::::::-:.   -:                         
                      .                        :  . :   ....:::..:.   .:::..::::.:.   .:.    :: :::::.:::.::::::::::::::::.:     .  .  .                  
               .       .      .          .     .-:-..:...... ..::  ..::::.::: ::..:. :::::  :.:.::..:::::...:::..:..:: .::.:.                             
                   .     .           :  .. .. . :-.:..:..:....:.......... .................... ............ ....... ......:...::::..       .....          
             . :   .. .. .. ...-...  ....  ..:::::.:.............. ..... .... ............ .................... ... ..........    .  .  .                 
                . ... .. .::::.-:::..:......... . . ........... .. ........ .... ...  .......   ............... ..    .. ......      .  .      ....       
                   .: .....:...... ...........  ...  .. ..  .   .  ..  ..... . .   . .   .. .  .. ..   ...      . .   .     ... .  .   .                  
              ....:.   ....   ... ...     ..     ...          ......    ..     ... ...   ......      .       ::     .......       ... .. ...     .        
             .*@%*@@.  =@@.   =@@-.@#    -@@.   :@@*         .%@##@@-  :@@-    %@@.:@*   #@@@@@=    *@+     %%#@+   -@%.%@=       =@-.@*.=@+              
              +@# -@   :@@    :@@* @*    =@@:    @@=          %@- -@-  -@@=    %@@=.@+   %%+@*@=    %@*    .@+.@%    @@ @@         %=+@. :@-              
              +@# :%   :@@    :@@% @*    +@@=    @@=          %@- :*-  =@@+    %@@#.@+   %:=@+++    @@%     @#:@#    *@=@*         *@@*  :@-              
              +@# +:   :@@    :@@@.@*    *@@+    @@=          %@-=+..  *@@#    %@@@:@+   = =@+.:   :@@@     #@=.     =@%@-         =@@:  :@-              
              +@@@*    :@@    :@*@=@*    ##@*    @@=          %@@@=    #*@%    %@*@=@+     =@+     -@#@     .@@=     .@@@.         :@@   :@-              
              +@%:*    :@@    :@=%%@*    @=@%    @@=          %@=*=    %-@@    %@:@%@+     =@+     +@+@:     .#@*     %@%          .@@   :@-              
              +@# -    :@@    :@=+@@*   .@.@@    @@=  #       %@-.-    @.@@.   %@ %@@+     =@+     #%=@-    *@.@@-    *@*          -@@-  :@-              
              +@#      :@@    :@=-@@*   :@+@@.   @@= .@       %@-     .@+@@:   %@ +@@+     =@+     @%*@+    @% %@*    *@*          *#@#  :@-              
              +@#      :@@    :@=.@@*   =%:@@:   @@= #@       %@-     -@:%@=   %@ :@@+     =@+    .@*=@*    @% %@+    *@*  .       %.#@. :@-              
              *@%      =@@.   -@+ #@*   #% %@=  .@@##@@       %@=     *% %@*   %@. %@+     +@+    =@=-@%    *@=@%.    #@# -==     -% +@* -@=              
              ....     ...    ...  ..   ......   ......       ...     .. ...   ... ..      ...    ......     :-:      ...  .      ..........              
                                                           ..     : .    :      :     .      ..                                                           
           =+===========----------:::::::::........       +.=-    =+:    #      *     -+:    =:.       ........:::::::::----------===========+-           
                                                           ..            .      .            .
    Shame the code window is fixed height! lol
    (2)
    It all began with a stone...

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Haldarn View Post
    if you wanna go old-school FF, or MODERN old-school v
    Blimey, thats style reminds me of the old cheat guides for the Commodore Amiga, back in the 80's/90's
    (2)

Sirmarki, ex-Fenrir, a young warrior, in the heyday.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast