Character
    Ziyyigotipyigo
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 1

Certain NPCs freezing on PS2

(Copied from a thread that got moved to Technical Support less than an hour after I posted this)

Platform:
    PlayStation 2

ISP:
    RoadRunner

Type of Internet Connection:
    cable

Internet Connection Speed:
    768 kbit/s

Date & Time:
    2011 Apirl 22 21:00

Frequency:
    Sometimes

Character Name:
    Ziyyigotipyigo

Race:
    TarutaruM

World:
    Sylph

Main Job:
    DNC50

Support Job:
    BLM25

Area and Coordinates:
    various (e.g. Nomad Moogle, Northern San d'Oria, K-9)

Party or Solo:
    solo

NPC Name:
    various (e.g. Nomad Moogle, Northern San d'Oria, K-9)

Monster Name:
    none

Steps:

1.) Log on using a PlayStation 2
    2.) Attempt to talk to an NPC whose dialog will involve presenting the player a menu choice (e.g. outpost teleportation, synthesis image support, etc.), specifically where one of those choices will involve the NPC casting a spell of sorts on the player (i.e. teleportation or granting a status effect).*
    3.) About 1/3 to 1/2 of the time, the NPC's first statement will hang. No dialog will come up, however gameplay will behave as if you are involved in dialog (e.g. cannot move, most commands will not work, main menu is inaccessible)**
    4.) Regular gameplay will not return until the NPC's dialog begins properly. This can take anywhere from 1 minute to 1 hour or more.

* So far, I haven't seen this happen with a gate guard able to cast Signet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened with them as well

** I have heard speculation that having a spell cast on the player by another player, causing an "event skipped" message, will rescue the stuck player.
    (0)
    Nothing in the above post is intended to disparage Square Enix or FINAL FANTASY XI, or to criticize Square Enix staff; such behavior would be a violation of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement. Any such violations of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement should be reported to Square Enix immediately, by using the "Report Post" icon in the bottom-left of forum posts.

No Moogles were harmed in the making in this post. Stars save the Sibyl!

Hey there Ziyyigo-Tipyigo.

Thanks for taking the time to enter all the details we require. I apologize for the trouble and inconvenience you've been going through with the game locking up on you. I am glad to inform you that the issue has already been reported to us and has been forwarded. Any updates will be posted within the forum as they become available. Thank you!
    (0)