Warrior Leveling

Looking to get my Warrior higher leveled. I'm currently lvl 46, and seem a bit disappointed with my dmg as of right now with a G.Axe. Here are a few questions/concerns:

Am I still supposed to be using Sturmwind at this level or should I be using one of the Break WSs?

Should I even be using a G.Axe or should I switch to /Nin or /Dnc and Dual Wield Axes?

Fighting Spiders in W.Altepa Desert I run with this setup:
    Str: 57+14 without food
    Base Att is 238
    With Zerk+WC+Aggressor up and using Sturmwind
    I do about 300-400+ dmg but not much higher, with the occasional 100 dmg while still getting a 15 pt Tp return, is this normal?

Will Keen Edge make a big difference in my dmg? I ask this because when I went through that same camp as my Drg and I got Penta-Thrust, my killing speed went up by a large margin, will Keen Edge do the same or should I switch to a different weapon?

Is there a different camp I should try at this level? I duo with a Level-Sync'd Whm, and we hit up the Fields of Valor pages for extra Exp and buffs.

What sub should I be using, /Thf for Sneak Attack?, /Sam for Store TP and then Hasso at 50?, /Nin for Dual Wield? /Drg for Jump for extra Tp/Dmg?

This post stems from feeling like I've hit a bit of a slump and I'm wondering if I'm just remembering wrong from my Drg going through this area (Pre Penta-Thrust) or am I doing the dmg I'm expected to? Thanks in advance for any responses.
    (0)
    Last edited by Atima; 04-24-2011 at 02:19 PM.

At 60 you'll get Raging Rush, which is really good, and will also do pretty well in abyssea as well.

Your damage seems normal, the 100 extra damage and extra TP is just a double attack proccing during WS.

You should keep using greataxes, use /sam at level 50 when you get hasso, and whenever you want to be the best DD in your party. Keep in mind that you'll be tanking most of the time. If taking too much damage is an issue (i.e. your tank isn't a pld), you might want to use /nin. At lv70, you can get seigan from /sam and then you should be able to get by with that and third eye when you start taking damage. At 70 it is however time to go to abyssea anyway, so you might not have to care much about how much damage you take. Healers in there can deal with almost any amout of healing you'd need.

I've never used /drg myself in any sort of serious situation. Maybe if I had a wyvern earring.
    (0)

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    WAR takes a bit to pick up. At lower levels, SAM will often do more damage, DRG especially after Penta Thrust, even a good THF on bird type mobs (see East Ronfaure [S]). However, if you keep going you'll find things pick up fast. Raging Rush is to date one of the best regular WS, imo only beaten by Drakesbane, DRG's Nyzul Isle WS.

As for duoing, I'm not sure where good camps would be I'm afraid. I only partied to 75, and I know how hard it is to find a party these days. One thing that worked for me is just find camps that are for 6-man parties 5~10 levels below you. So if you're 46, try to find a camp where 36~41 would party, so maybe Crawler's Nest? Just an idea.

I'm not sure if /SAM is advisable for low level duoing. I guess it depends on the WHM, it's definitely worth checking out. It will also prepare you for using it at later levels. Getting experience in using Meditate (not before level 60 though) and Hasso/Seigan will be required for higher levels. But considering you won't get Seigan until level 70, /NIN is probably safer until then.

As for weapons, definitely stick with Great Axes. At 48 you may be tempted to dual wield Viking Axes, which is actually not bad in a party setup. However, since you'll be fighting lower level mobs when duoing, you won't need the extra Accuracy on them, and the Evasion malus may actually hurt you. There's not too many great Great Axes for those levels however. I was using a Horror Voulge till I got a Gigant Axe (which coincidentally drops from Crawler's Nest coffers). Leucos Voulge will probably be better, but not before level 50. Either of those will last you for quite a while. Apart from rare/exclusive axes, Berserker's Axe is probably the best you can get for 70+.

At 80 you should make an effort to obtain a Vermeil Bhuj, which is a pretty common drop and many people kill that sandworm, so that shouldn't be hard. Eventually you'll either start making an empyrean weapon (Ukonvasara) or get a Widowmaker. The latter is not too easy to obtain, but with a good team it won't be hard and doesn't take long. And even if you decide to work on Ukonvasara, it will hold you over for that time, it's an exceptional weapon.
    (0)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

left out maschu+2
    (0)

Character
    Tehfan
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 50
    I am new to the game in general but I have a lvl 23WAR I want to get up...at least to lvl 45 so it can be my NIN subjob. Any pointers? Usually duoing with a lvl 48BST 24WHM. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Hope I'm not clogging the post or irritating anybody. Thanks.
    (0)
    Tehfan

/DRG is actually a very viable option, as long as you have a good tank so you won't get hit. Jump every 90 secs adds a nice amount to your DoT and adds a good bit of tp. Especially if double attack procs. I did these levels before hasso though so I couldn't say if the 15% JA haste, acc and STR would beat jumping every 90 secs (generally once per mob in an exp pt). I imagine it would.

If you're just levelling for a SJ though, it depends on what you already have levelled. Not much point levelling a new SJ for a SJ.

For regular parties, sometimes tanks are hard to come by, so you might choose to just hit defender and be the tank if no pld or nin are seeking. For this, using and Axe and Shield and subbing DNC makes for a solid PLD-Style tank. This is especially good vs mnk-type mobs that will strip your shadows in seconds. /NIN is good if fighting a mob that hits hard but slowly, especially if you have a mage that can land slow on them.

/THF once 30+ is definately a good option for boosting your ws damage, but a SA Sturmwind at the start of a fight, especially with berserk up is going to leave you with the mobs attention and no defense.

/MNK is also a solid option for 20+ vs mobs like mandies where you don't need shadows, but counter can get you a decent amount of extra damage. And a few boosts before a fight while waiting for a pull, or AFKer make a nice bonus to great axe.

/DRK was never really a sensible option, but with the recent extension or last resort (30+) to 3 mins instead of 30 secs, this could be used in a party with a good tank, and maybe a backup healer in case you pull hate. And of course, weapon bash 40+.

/RNG and bloody bolt spam is also a very good DD and Tank (25+ for defender). Even as a taru, I was doing more damage on my ranged attacks as war/rng in qufim due to much higher base str. You need to pick your food sensibly with this option though. Off the top of my head you'll want Flounder Meuniere.

You might have to try out various different options to find what works best for you, and like I said, some depend on what mob you are fighting, and whether or not you have a good PLD tank with a THF to trick Attack them.

Finally one last option is /BST in Duo situations if your BST is the same level or higher than your WAR. Probably faster to just kill lower level mobs very fast, rather than try to kill IT mobs and risk pet death and pet swapping.
    (0)

My Allegiance? I'm usually on whatever side Zordon is on
    Character
    Alpheus
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    for lvling try the outpost by norg page 3 not sure if you're too high for that yet. 10 young opo opos and you get about 100 exp per kill plus 800 per page. that should hopefully hold you over till you can do page 3 in western altepa desert which involves beetles and that should tide you over till about mid to late 60s and you can then do page 5 in that same area but only if you are duoing with a whm or have a reliable-ish method of stun since page 5 requires you kill anticans and they tend to go for AM I casts
    (0)
    Last edited by Alpheus; 07-30-2011 at 05:09 PM.

Character
    Rearden
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 1
    I would do Grounds pages in Crawlers Nest then Garliage, that should be much faster.
    (0)

Character
    Leonlionheart
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 95
    /DRG was mentioned, and, until 50, is the best possible sub assuming you can afford a Wyvern Earring.

At 50 however you get Hasso with /SAM, which is by far the best sub you will ever have as WAR.

400 Sturmwind is very good actually, and even at 55 when you would normally get Rampage your peak damage would probably only be 750, averaging around 400 too, depending on gear.

Stick with GA. Sturmwind till 60, Raging Rush till 85, Ukko's Fury for the rest of your life (though you probably won't get that till 90 anyway). Kings Justice is good OUTSIDE Abyssea at 75 if you refuse to enter and get Razed Ruins. It's unlikely it'll be better than Raging Rush though if you gear for dDEX cap, which isn't really viable since you won't do much content at 75 outside of abyssea anymore. Basically I'm telling you to go to Abyssea at 75, or sooner if you so desire.

As for what GA should be used, hard to say until 69. Just get whatever is on AH. However, get Berserker's Axe at 69. You will be very happy you did. Then Vermeil Bhuj at 80, Widowmaker at 90, Ukonvasara until you die. Maschu+2 is a waste of time.
    (0)