Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 174
  1. #21
    Player Bigboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Bastok
    Posts
    68
    Character
    Bigboy
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Carth View Post
    Your credibility ends here.
    Just because you suck doesn't mean I do. I honestly feel like you need to explain yourself here before I report you for trolling.
    (0)
    Last edited by Bigboy; 04-24-2011 at 12:05 PM.

  2. #22
    Player Carth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Bastok
    Posts
    151
    Character
    Carth
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Ow, that hurt, stung. I'm gonna go home and cry now.

    Seriously though, you're making baseless assumptions. Even the BG forums believe RDM needs an update, now that's something to think about.
    (1)

  3. #23
    Player Bigboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Bastok
    Posts
    68
    Character
    Bigboy
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Carth View Post
    Ow, that hurt, stung. I'm gonna go home and cry now.

    Seriously though, you're making baseless assumptions. Even the BG forums believe RDM needs an update, now that's something to think about.
    EVEN the BG forums!?!? I didn't realize they weren't also full of all the same people complaining here. Things must have changed drastically since the 5 minutes ago when I last toggled tabs.
    (0)

  4. #24
    Player Carth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Bastok
    Posts
    151
    Character
    Carth
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigboy View Post
    EVEN the BG forums!?!? I didn't realize they weren't also full of all the same people complaining here. Things must have changed drastically since the 5 minutes ago when I last toggled tabs.
    You derped and missed the point. That's okay though, I forgive you.

    I'll give you one guess why your argument falls apart at "solo HNMs".
    (0)

  5. #25
    Player Bigboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Bastok
    Posts
    68
    Character
    Bigboy
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Carth View Post
    You derped and missed the point. That's okay though, I forgive you.

    I'll give you one guess why your argument falls apart at "solo HNMs".
    Mostly because HNMs are a thing of the past. The point stands. I was giving examples of how RDM has been consistently doing things other jobs have been unable to do for years. That is still the case. If you have some other magical reason you have neglected to mention, despite all your posts, then now is the time to give it.
    (1)

  6. #26
    Player Mirage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,980
    Here's how you can make melee a frontline job without any help from SE!

    /pcmd leave
    /equip meleeset
    /engage mob
    (2)

  7. #27
    Player Carth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Bastok
    Posts
    151
    Character
    Carth
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigboy View Post
    Mostly because HNMs are a thing of the past. The point stands. I was giving examples of how RDM has been consistently doing things other jobs have been unable to do for years. That is still the case. If you have some other magical reason you have neglected to mention, despite all your posts, then now is the time to give it.
    Admittedly a good answer, but not quite what I was looking for. The answer to what I was looking for is "It's solo". Soloing is often the brunt of the update naysayers when in fact plenty of jobs can solo as well, especially in this era of Abyssea. Soloing NMs is not unique to RDM.

    To drive my point home however, no one, at least the people I've known for years, is asking for RDM to be overpowered. We can replace WHM, but we'll never be as good as WHM. We can replace BLM, but we'll never be as good as BLM. We however cannot replace a DD because they're just leagues better than us (theoretically. Gear can make lopsided arguments in terms of practicality). We're still good tanks vs low-man stuff, but the -Enmity healing will make it weaker.

    The issue isn't that we can't melee (in fact we can). It's that the mage side is aggressively lop-sided compared to the melee side.
    (3)

  8. #28
    Player Bigboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Bastok
    Posts
    68
    Character
    Bigboy
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 90
    If we were called Spellswords, I would take your side, but we are Redmages. I figure that is the reasoning behind our design.

    If I were to augment a RDM's melee skills though, I would have given us the highest parry in the game, being that we are made out to be Fencers. Probably would have dropped our shield skill completely too. In previous iterations they often show RDMs with staffs, so I would have given us a D skill there (as opposed to nothing). The FFXI makeup of a RDM is a little off from their previous iterations, but altogether similar. No RDM has ever been an amazing melee since FF1, when you could use some of the strongest weapons in the game. I would like to see a return of dual cast though, as that is a uniquely RDM talent, introduced in FF5.
    (0)

  9. #29
    Player Seriha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    966
    Character
    Kalsena
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Oh snap, the "mage" line. Someone tell BLUs to go home.
    (6)

  10. #30
    Player Duelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Windurst
    Posts
    656
    Character
    Duelle
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigboy View Post
    If we were called Spellswords, I would take your side, but we are Redmages. I figure that is the reasoning behind our design.
    Not really. Design philosophies shifted throughout the life of FFXI. If you look at the pre-TAU classes, they're all designed in a very open way. Even stat alocations for certain gear like AF reflect this. It's after TAU came out that the devs started saying "Ok, this is a new class, and we want it to do this, this and this, but not that or the other thing", and the class' design reflects it very well, from BLU all the way to SCH. PUP has been the outlier this whole time, getting an insane amount of developer attention despite being quite capable in terms of design, concept and what it brings to the table.
    In previous iterations they often show RDMs with staffs, so I would have given us a D skill there (as opposed to nothing). The FFXI makeup of a RDM is a little off from their previous iterations, but altogether similar. No RDM has ever been an amazing melee since FF1, when you could use some of the strongest weapons in the game. I would like to see a return of dual cast though, as that is a uniquely RDM talent, introduced in FF5.
    It breaks even, actually. The most popular depiction of RDM I've seen to date, however, matches how I look at the class: a fencer with a rapier in one hand and magical energy glowing from the other. A testimony to our being right on the line that separates melee from mage.

    Carth puts it well in saying our mage side far outweights the melee side at the moment, which is why I say what I say. To add, it is the fate of generalist classes in MMOs as a whole when left as they are. Yes, this thing RDM went through since the day Refresh was introduced HAS happened before.
    (2)
    * The sad thing is that FFXIV turned RDM into a turret, and people think that's what it's supposed to be. It's supposed to combine sword and magic into something more, not spend the bulk of gameplay spamming spells and jump into melee for only 3 GCDs before scurrying back to the back line.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread