Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 177
  1. #11
    Player Duelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Windurst
    Posts
    656
    Character
    Duelle
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigboy View Post
    It is only considered a failure by people like yourself that don't understand proper game balancing. If you got your way, what would the purpose be to playing any other job?
    Weapon preference, gameplay preference, thematic reasons, aesthetics, etc. The argument is worn and overused. And has been debunked several times.

    Of course, you seem to be under the impression that we want to be able to heal and nuke and support and enfeeble and melee well all at the same time. Far from the case, but don't let it stop you from thinking us the harbingers of the apocalypse.
    you are upset because you don't get to take advantage of a Paladin hate tactic.
    What annoys me are the implications. We have shield mastery but abysmal shield skill, not to mention little to no hate tools of our own. Then the only announced change for this patch is a freaking healer-oriented trait despite all the other aspects and parts of our job that need to be looked at. Specially seeing how many ideas and discussions have taken place over the years. Between Escrime, Spellblade/Botta Majica, the En Garde variations, not to mention all those enspell adjustments, I thought there might be something worth using in there.
    (0)
    * The sad thing is that FFXIV turned RDM into a turret, and people think that's what it's supposed to be. It's supposed to combine sword and magic into something more, not spend the bulk of gameplay spamming spells and jump into melee for only 3 GCDs before scurrying back to the back line.

  2. #12
    Player Bigboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Bastok
    Posts
    68
    Character
    Bigboy
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 90
    So unless a RDM puts effort into their gearing, like the WHM has to, they will lose? Think I said that. And if WHM is the only job capable of healing, that kinda necessitates the need for enhancing other healers, does it not?

    You also act like dusk is expensive in comparison to blessed. Maybe that is a server thing for you, but that isn't the case on my server. I am still not seeing the deficiency. I have not been "curb stomped" by an optimally geared melee WHM yet. You might just need to change up your game.
    (0)

  3. #13
    Player Bigboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Bastok
    Posts
    68
    Character
    Bigboy
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelle View Post
    Weapon preference, gameplay preference, thematic reasons, aesthetics, etc. The argument is worn and overused. And has been debunked several times.

    Of course, you seem to be under the impression that we want to be able to heal and nuke and support and enfeeble and melee well all at the same time. Far from the case, but don't let it stop you from thinking us the harbingers of the apocalypse.
    What annoys me are the implications. We have shield mastery but abysmal shield skill, not to mention little to no hate tools of our own. Then the only announced change for this patch is a freaking healer-oriented trait despite all the other aspects and parts of our job that need to be looked at. Specially seeing how many ideas and discussions have taken place over the years. Between Escrime, Spellblade/Botta Majica, the En Garde variations, not to mention all those enspell adjustments, I thought there might be something worth using in there.
    Sorry dude, you want to play something that doesn't exist. You overstate my point. I don't think you harbringers of doom. I think you are just completely unaware of reality. You want something that the rest of the population doesn't. You want to be over powered. You don't think that is what you are asking for, but it is.

    Here's an example of your logic. "WHM get's shield skill, and flash, along with big cures. They should get Defense Bonus instead of clear mind because they are already clearly superior tanks. If they didn't intend for them to be tanks, they wouldn't give them shield skill."
    (0)

  4. #14
    Player Duelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Windurst
    Posts
    656
    Character
    Duelle
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigboy View Post
    You want something that the rest of the population doesn't.
    If THF somehow became an accepted healer in this game people that wanted quick groups and invites would just flock to it, and the populous would eventually pressure even the established players that like swinging daggers to shut up and heal. No different if the same happened to DRK or DRG. I understand this game has always been short on healers (after all, this is the game that turned Summoner into the joke that was /WHM due to people's desperation for someone to handle cures), but keeping RDM relevant only in that department for the most part is a very very bad thing when speaking of a class designed to be flexible and have multiple roles. Again, it's the hybrid bait-and-switch, and it gets tiresome to see it after a while.
    You want to be over powered. You don't think that is what you are asking for, but it is.
    Only because you say so, huh? Because the ideas are all stand alone and would not be in conjunction with other adjustments to make melee RDM workable and balanced (without even killing the support/healer option that so many outside of our little forums seem to love). And because none of us here are flexible in terms of numbers and possible tweaks.
    (2)
    * The sad thing is that FFXIV turned RDM into a turret, and people think that's what it's supposed to be. It's supposed to combine sword and magic into something more, not spend the bulk of gameplay spamming spells and jump into melee for only 3 GCDs before scurrying back to the back line.

  5. #15
    Player Bigboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Bastok
    Posts
    68
    Character
    Bigboy
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 90
    I don't think that just because I say it. I think that because you are asking for things that would make you overpowered. You keep saying there is a hybrid bait and switch. You were given cure spells so you could heal. What did you miss earlier in your life as a RDM that made you think this wouldn't always be the case? What did they suddenly do that makes the job not what it seemed?

    I mean, you really can't have thought they wanted you to to be a tank. This sounds like you had unrealistic expectations, and now that you have finally realized the truth, you are upset. Nothing has changed. RDM is still a support class, like it's always been.
    (2)
    Last edited by Bigboy; 04-24-2011 at 11:21 AM. Reason: formating

  6. #16
    Player Seriha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    973
    Character
    Kalsena
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Sorry, but if you're not being curb stomped by the WHM, the WHM isn't that well geared. Prior to Composure, WHMs had superior ACC through higher weapon skill rating (ATK, too... and I guess you can't discount Auspice's Zanshin for a secondary ACC). Their TPing equipment was more readily accessible and hits the Haste cap sooner (Both have to chase Goliard, but RDMs have to spend their ASA pants on Haste gear or pray for a good augment from the Saur ANNM). There are other inconveniences like needing HQ'd dusk (not cheap) or praying you had a speed belt for whatever reason. WHMs also put the K.Club to its best use, which obviously allows them to crank out 3k+ Hexas much more often. The WHM also doesn't have to trudge through trials and either hope they get lucky in WoE or con some people to outfit a melee RDM with an Almace. A simple junked drop from a commonly killed NM will get the WHM a good club for 85+. Both get the Haste spell. Both get some kind of additional damage through Enspells or Auspice's Enlight. Gratuitous use of Mystic Boon stomps the everloving crap out of Convert, further expanding WHM's MP utility as a hybrid DD while skirting past the popular TP feed argument used against RDMs in the past, again, thanks to Auspice. Frankly, people underestimate Misery mode in general. Sonic Boom? Why hello there Esuna. Bomb Toss? What's this Cura do... A RDM would have to sub DNC to even get close to that level of utility through Healing and Divine Waltz, and even then it's miles behind thanks to timers and TP dependency, which further diminishes their damage due to lost potential WS. The only thing WHMs lose to RDM on defensively is Phalanx, but that's probably a moot point now with Solace's cureskin.

    So, can the overpowered nonsense. Damage might be the easiest way to sway people into acceptance, but a good utility hook can do the job, too. I won't argue with either angle, but SE persistently ignoring the issue for years is part of what got RDM into its current state of neglect and blandness. Whining counterpoints of "They took our job!" or "Why level anything else other than RDM?" are just big glowing signs saying, "I'm not really thinking too hard about this one..."
    (3)

  7. #17
    Player Duelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Windurst
    Posts
    656
    Character
    Duelle
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigboy View Post
    You were given cure spells so you could heal. What did you miss earlier in your life as a RDM that made you think this wouldn't always be the case? What did they suddenly do that makes the job not what it seemed?
    There's a significant difference between having the option to cast cures and having the role of healer shoved down your throat. You can have a focus in melee with some off-healing capability. It's a matter of tweaking resources and modifiers, not to mention adding a mechanic or two to act as safeguards. It's not meant to replace anyone who is dedicated to cast heals, but to act as filler where appropriate. I wouldn't even be saying any of this if I had not seen it work before. The best part is that it does not need to be the only role available to RDM.
    I mean, you really can't have thought they wanted you to to be a tank. This sounds like you had unrealistic expectations, and now that you have finally realized the truth, you are upset. Nothing has changed. RDM is still a support class, like it's always been.
    Personally, I have no interest in Red Mage tanking. I do, however, get irked by changes that make no sense. I also feel for those who enjoy tanking while on RDM but were nerfed out of it. You can't call a class versatile if it's versatility is either not accepted by the other players or not supported by the game itself.

    Lastly, a generalist a support class does not make. They're just the poor sods that get stuck either healing or mezzing because they offer nothing else of worth to a group in the greater scheme of things. That's basically what those of the melee camp want to see change.
    (0)
    * The sad thing is that FFXIV turned RDM into a turret, and people think that's what it's supposed to be. It's supposed to combine sword and magic into something more, not spend the bulk of gameplay spamming spells and jump into melee for only 3 GCDs before scurrying back to the back line.

  8. #18
    Player ManaKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    897
    Character
    Iocus
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    RDM/DRK FTW!!! So now that no one is taking me seriously, I have to say that RDM is still fun to play and DD/Support is all I do.

    Off heal? Yes please.
    Main heal? No thanks.
    Buffs/Debuffs? All day!!!
    Dark magic? Of course.
    Melee? Who doesn't?

    When I'm in smaller groups I tank by using enemity gear, hiting hard, and healing. I get less hate for healing now, but if i'm not being focused, I'm just going to turn last resort on and leave it on.

    Fix enspells and I'll be happy without Cure V. Another RDM Buff/Debuff would be nice.
    (0)
    Last edited by ManaKing; 04-24-2011 at 11:55 AM.

  9. #19
    Player Carth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Bastok
    Posts
    151
    Character
    Carth
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigboy View Post
    I can already solo HNMs
    Your credibility ends here.
    (1)

  10. #20
    Player Bigboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Bastok
    Posts
    68
    Character
    Bigboy
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 90
    At level 90 there is a 6 skill point difference in the weapons. Mystic Boon is nice for getting MP if you don't mind falling behind in damage. That's one of those trade-offs I mentioned. If you think 3k+ hexastrikes are amazing, you aren't doing it right enough to really have this discussion though. If you have ever used a KC before, you would also know how it impacts WS damage. There is something about off handing one that seems to really lower it. You also have access to double attack gear a WHM doesn't have an infinitely more attack.

    I mean, I am having trouble even explaining this because I had been assuming you already knew... You can reach haste cap pretty easily on RDM, and have more options for WS gear and pieces with other beneficial effects. There is also almost no evasion gear for a WHM.

    So yeah, you are asking to be overpowered. I've given it alot of thought, you must have too, but just didn't do your research.
    (0)

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread