Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    The issue we all have with ps2 is.
    1 Can not do anymore expansions due to ps2 harddrive limitations that is why they are revamping old zones and adding new mobs.
    2 Can not get more then 80 spaces in inventory due to ps2 limitations
    3 All gear is rehashed but changed colors cause ps2 can't handle new gear looks
    4 Graphics can not be boosted due to ps2 limitations(yet it's too late to redo graphics)
    I'm not sure about 1, but 3 and 4 are not (entirely) correct. They just released a massive chunk of completely new looking gear with the Abyssea expansions, all requiring new models and textures. And graphics could still be boosted for other systems, it would cost them the same as it would do with the PS2 (probably even less). Since graphics are handled client side, the PS2 could still render it with old graphics, it wouldn't change the game at all. It would simply look better on other systems, something that's already happening with menus. The question is, whether SE will invest their time to do this, as this would actually require a massive rehaul.

About the zone thing, I'm not sure, were the Abyssea zones just differently rendered DATs? I thought they had their own DAT files, which were just as big as the normal zones, or am I mistaken? I think the HDD issue was download related, although if that's happening, chances are the zone thing won't be far off either way.
    (0)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Character
    Scuro
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    While the gear now are new dats, the files had to be condensed just prior to the update, which is why there was that big PS2 hard drive issue before Abyssea's release. When SE found a way to squash some of its content, it gave it just enough wiggle room to give people a taste of what they wanted. Yet now, its not enough, it was fine for when it came, but even then it was treading the line. Now if SE does anything less then come out with a new expansion, there will be some serious outcry spanning the whole SE community in outrage over the lack of content. WotG was exciting because we all wanted to know what the past was like, and it conveniently fit with SE's schedule. Abyssea was treading the line with content, but new NMs, New battle system, new gear, I mean who wouldn't be excited, but now that is still all short term content. The community doesn't want rehashed zones and mobs and gear. We want to see the world that this game is built upon, and actually play a storyline as this game is widely known for. FFXI wasn't known particularly for its gear, and material things, but for the storyline that has enthralled its audience for years. Yet SE has forgotten that by providing us with content that is a ludology out look that game play is more important then storyline. Rather then their original outlook of narratology being the driving force behind the ludology of its games. SE, go back to what your good at, before we loose more people to frustrations.
    (0)

99 BLU,PLD,SCH,RNG,NIN,BST,SMN,THF,BLM,WHM... Any questions..?

Character
    Rakam
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 90
    First of all, tab key fonction is out of memorie. I would like to be able to type <Abyssea "insert zone name here">. 200 save items name only!!! Im playing whit any ppl on any language i wish ppl understand me faster. PS2 FFXI version need to move to PS3 as soon as possible and i hope SE is already working on it.
    (0)

Arcon I could give you an extensive list of abyssea gear that is rehashed but i will list a few, pretty much entire whm gear is rehashed af 1 and relic af, blm af body is a mix of tidal talisman and the dinner jacket(more so dinner jacket) ninja afv3 is also rehashed gear the legs are the same as hachiryu haidatejust made plain black, body same as ninja chainmail just added some metal plates. the list can go on but if you look at all the gear from 2003- til now it all is in some way rehashed just change in color and 1-2 things added to give it some pizaz.
    (0)

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Arcon I could give you an extensive list of abyssea gear that is rehashed [..]
    Rehashing gear is an entirely different story though. Even if you just change a button on a shirt it would require a completely new DAT (well, technically not, but I doubt they read parts of DATs from different gear to assemble one piece). So, even if there's only a minor change, it would still require new storage space, the same amount as if it was completely different gear, which applies to almost all new gear from Abyssea (only exceptions might be Perle, Teal and Aurore set, since they're actually the same models, just a different color, that's comparably easy to achieve).
    (0)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Character
    Rhianu
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakam View Post
    PS2 FFXI version need to move to PS3 as soon as possible and i hope SE is already working on it.
    SE said a long time ago that porting FFXI over to the PS3 wasn't logistically feasible, which is why they made FFXIV instead.

Also, I've done some DAT modding in my time, and I would like to point out that even doing a simple color-swap would require a whole new DAT file. The reason SE re-hashes things isn't to save on storage space, but rather to save on development time and money.
    (0)
    Last edited by Rhianu; 05-22-2011 at 01:59 PM.

Character
    Habiki
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Twille View Post
    Right, but they manage to pay for a monthly subscription to FFXI as well as a monthly fee for their ISP.
    If you're so financially destitute that you can't afford a $200 laptop to run FFXI, you need to rethink you're spending habits.
    You do realize if they dropped the PS2 those 200 dollar laptops won't be able to play the game if they did a major graphical overhaul, you yourself might not even be able to play it. On top of that theres alot of younger kids that play the game and I doubt their parents would buy their child a new computer to continue playing a game that they probably spend all their free time on.

If they did decide to drop support expect more Server mergers and a much smaller community, which in turn would mean less funding for FFXI and less of a chance at ever seeing a new expansion. Truthfully it probably should have never been released for any consoles as they limit its capabilitys even if it came out for PS3 it would be limited in what they could do since its a console system as well.

All I've seen since this website was introduced is how most of the FFXI community is a bunch of crybabys constantly asking for new stufff everyday, while ignoring the problems the game actually has and in SE's eyes PS2 isn't one of them since it draws in alot of money, if you don't like the graphics go play 14 it will eventually get better.
    (0)

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Habiki View Post
    You do realize if they dropped the PS2 those 200 dollar laptops won't be able to play the game if they did a major graphical overhaul, you yourself might not even be able to play it.
    First of all, those two things are completely seperate issues. Most people are asking SE to cancel PS2 support for plenty of other things than graphics. Secondly, just making better graphics available doesn't mean they have to force you to use them, they could just have both options available and people could choose what kinda graphics they wanna use.

On top of that theres alot of younger kids that play the game and I doubt their parents would buy their child a new computer to continue playing a game that they probably spend all their free time on.
    There are? In my many years playing I only once met a guy who was 14 and that was it. I don't know any people under 18 who are playing this (I myself was 17 when I started and I was the youngest person I've known for a long time). And especially lately, since this game is very old and attracts less and less new people, I doubt the ones who join are as young as you make it out to be.

All I've seen since this website was introduced is how most of the FFXI community is a bunch of crybabys constantly asking for new stufff everyday, while ignoring the problems the game actually has and in SE's eyes PS2 isn't one of them since it draws in alot of money, if you don't like the graphics go play 14 it will eventually get better.
    I can't really argue this argument objectively, but I am very sure the PS2 playerbase is very small these days. A few years ago it was 8% of the total playerbase, I would really love to see a new census on this.
    (0)
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9