Character
    Rhianu
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99

Update the in-game icons?

SE recently updated the name-text that appears over the heads of players and NPCs, making it more crisp and easier to read. This was a very nice improvement, and I was wondering if SE could implement a similar improvement for the in-game icons that appear next to player's names, as well as the status icons for buffs and debuffs, and also the icons for weather and day of the week. If these icons were replaced with cleaner, higher resolution versions, I think it would really help improve the overall visuals of the game.
    (0)
    Last edited by Rhianu; 05-21-2011 at 07:45 AM.

Character
    Babygyrl
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    I agree It was a nice change to see new font it'd be nice to see a fresh look in other things too.
    (0)
    *BabyGyrl* Ragnarok Server~ 99 THF WHM RDM BLM DRG Husband Doluka <3

Character
    Kyrial
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    RUN Lv 99
    Yeah, it'd be nice if they'd update the status icons so that you don't have like 50 different statuses that all share the same exact icon... hint hint....
    (0)
    All Missions Complete
    Captain, Medal of Altana ∮∮∮∮
    Unique quests completed: 1063
    Records of Eminence completed: 801

Character
    Rhianu
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyrial View Post
    Yeah, it'd be nice if they'd update the status icons so that you don't have like 50 different statuses that all share the same exact icon... hint hint....
    Ooh, that would be nice, too. I was thinking more about just adding higher-resolution versions of the same icons we already have, but giving each status effect its own unique icon would certainly be a welcome change as well.
    (0)

Character
    Bjorne
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhianu View Post
    Ooh, that would be nice, too. I was thinking more about just adding higher-resolution versions of the same icons we already have, but giving each status effect its own unique icon would certainly be a welcome change as well.
    They also need to implement an option for a "large size" UI and change the config so that it's not restricted to 256x256 512x512 and 1024x1024. They should just change it so that it works like FFXIV where you set the resolution and then set the drawing buffer to 1/4 1/2 "Full Size" or "Double".

And yes I know you can do this in the registry, but some people go years before they find out how to do this. And if you don't know much about computers you really shouldn't go messing around with your registry like that anyway.

And for the future:

Split the chat box on the PC and 360 versions.

Add MSAA support. Forced driver level FSAA already works if you set the UI and drawing resolution the same, but it's very slow and causes artifacts with shadows enabled. Either fix FFXI so this doesn't happen or work with ATI and Nvidia to fix whatever problem is causing it.

Uncap the framerate.

Rather than manually setting aspect ratios just assume square pixels. Virtually all monitors today are using discrete pixels anyway. Even when FFXI was released almost all common resolutions used on PCs had square pixels.

Related to the above, allow the width of the UI to be adjustable. These two things would allow FFXI to work with 3 monitor setups. FFXI will actually work with Eyefinity right now, because to the application all three monitors just look like one very wide display, but it's not very useful because it lacks the correct aspect ratio and the UI spans all three displays.
    (0)
    Last edited by Atomic_Skull; 05-23-2011 at 01:29 PM.