Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Character
    Tsukinokaji
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    first of all its pretty sad when people only think for themselves and wanting to end ps2 support - ur not helping FFXI community and top of that FFXI is almost a decade old. and u want a entire revamped into a FFXI-2, are u willing to pay more than what ur paying for and now i say either quit FFXI or shut up and play as it is
    You're wrong here. Most people are not thinking of themselves. They are thinking of the game as a whole. The PS2 support is not helping the FFXI community.
    (0)

Character
    Spikeikupo
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    so ur implying its ok to push PS2 user off and happen to be the main of playerbase / fanbase for this game, and lets not forget jp also is part this. and image how much will it cost SE to revamp whole thing to HD like FFXIV... so either keep as it is or end it cuz obviously SE isnt gonna kill PS2 anytime soon.
    (0)
    Spikeikupo - Gilgamesh

Character
    Tsukinokaji
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    They don't need to revamp anything, and PS2 players are the smallest minority playerbase.
    (0)

I wanted to post two misconceptions in this thread:

1. "this game is only going to last X more years"

Ultima Online is still active. EQ1 is still active. Hosting servers doesn't cost too much, and FFXI is far from being as small a population as some failed games (Warhammer comes to mind, and it's still going with only 6 servers). Saying this game will die anytime soon is a huge leap based off of contrary evidence towards older MMOs. (basically older mmos have shown companies will keep running them until the servers cost more than the subscriptions, which is rather small)

2. "SE only cares about their Japanese playerbase, and they are PS2 users"

This statement would have been true back in '05. Time has GREATLY changed since then. Unless you can actually read the Japanese forums (both here and elsewhere), stop spreading an outdated assumption. For a long time Japanese centered forums have had many demanding to stop ps2 support. Most of them have moved on at this point and no longer use the ps2 and have become pc users. (heck there's a big thing going on atm where a huge majority of SE MMOers moved to WoW because they are sick of SE's games, and there is finally enough addons for WoW for them to understand it).

Now, you can argue about whether or not they should get rid of it, idk either way. I just wanted to say using those two comments to support your statements are not really true.
    (2)

Character
    Tsukinokaji
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Romanova View Post
    Ultima Online is still active. EQ1 is still active.
    You can hardly call that active. lol
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukino_Kaji View Post
    You can hardly call that active. lol
    Then you know very little of what Sony has been doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCoizs0wwTk
    (0)

Character
    Tsukinokaji
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Youtube is for people who can't use the internet, care to voice it yourself?
    (0)

The player base for ps2 is smaller then you think Apocalypse. They are at like 8% of the player base everyone but those 8% has upgraded. Get with the times and upgrade. As for games that are old and still online, look at Diablo 1 & 2 they are still active and the system is always being updated. Over the 2 week break from Japans flood and earthquake i reinstalled those to play them for something to do and found new armor and items that were not in there before. Nothing is impossible and the guy who said 30 million to revamp game, dude stop smoking crack.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukino_Kaji View Post
    Youtube is for people who can't use the internet, care to voice it yourself?
    Actually, zam does a really good job in that episode explaining it in the youtube video, and it's more likely you can't handle being wrong so are trying to delay responding, but here it goes:

Sony has been heavily active in keeping EQ updated. They have fully revamped the graphics, added quests, added classes, but most importantly:

They've created something called progression servers.

Basically, the server starts exactly the way the game was when it was first released in 1999 (you can see the comparison in graphics if you actually try the link). The server has to do certain objectives to slowly release later updates/expansions in the game.

Since I don't know if you ever actually played eq, imagine starting on a FFXI server where the cap is 50 and only the first six jobs are available. (Everyone has to start new characters too). Perhaps once X amount of people have managed to get caught up in the nation missions or something similar, then the cap gets extended to 60. (eventually zilart, extra jobs, et. al. would get added in the order they appeared).

Initially, they started with 1 server, but people couldn't get in because the server was always full, so they added a second, I've seen places where it's rumored a 3rd might get started (this is on top of 14 regular servers, again Warhammer only manages to have 6 atm for comparison).

Now am I saying it's popular? No. That never was that my statement.

Am I saying it's active? Absolutely, and if you want to counter that, you'd have a hard time convincing me a game where you have 1.developers actively making changes, 2. unique servers that are having to increase due to demand 3. insane graphical updates (seriously can't describe it, the youtube episode of zam does just fine) 3. Is big enough to be able to have 14 regular servers 4. is still able to survive as a pay to play; should be considered something I "could hardly call that active".

It is still active, and is older than ffxi by three years.

Going back to my original point, even Sony has stated they will not stop developing the game until it is no longer profitable, but it still is. Why would SE be any different? They are not developing games because they are "fun" they are developing them to keep making money. People want the game to be "dead" because they are frustrated/bored/feel it's old/ etc. etc. That is not how a company looks at it.
    (1)

Character
    Thatman
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Upgrading your system is the same thing S-E was asking of us to play FFXIV, so I don't think we're hypocritical in wanting FFXI players to upgrade. There's a few client-side mechanics problems (that cause 3rd party programs) that the PS2 is causing, such as macros and inventory. We can't have a single bag at 160 because the PS2 is somehow limited to 80.
    (0)

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast