Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Player
    SOLUTION:
    Open New Servers for NON-PS2 players - Migration
    Keep current servers open as they currently exist, for 3 months.
    Do a study on how many servers the PS2 players need.
    Merge servers, eliminate old redundant servers.

1-Make separate forums for the PS2 players. Call it FFXI Gold community.
    -1.5wait, these forums aren't great....scratch that.
    2-Make separate forums for people who live in 2011 with 2011 technology. Let the PS2 players keep these forums.
    3-Reskin as many zones as you want for PS2 players. Keep pumping that stuff out. They love it.
    4-Give the rest of us an upgraded FFXI that looks as good as FFXIV and plays as well as FFXI.
    4.5-]Then post screenshots of it on the PS2 gold Community forums.

Focus on the rest of us who play on PC/PS3.

Sony will love you SE, because no doubt if you have any FFXI fanbase left, they will see a rise in PS3 sales, which is something they could use at the moment since the entire hacking thing has cost them 100's of millions in losses.

SOLUTION PARY DEAUX (SPL CHECK)
    1.Announce to all FFXIV players that the game has come to an end.
    "it was fun y'all, sorry it sucked. don't forget to pick up a copy of versus, in 2020"
    2.Announce to all FFXI players that their FFXI accounts, and all their character info, including gear and job levels, quests and mission progress, will be moved to FFXIV.
    3.Change FFXI name to FFXIV-2
    4. Press conference - invite me, I like free finger food.
    5.Tell PS2 players they're not invited.
    6. Have sage Sundi dress up as a PS2 (representing PS2 players) and give us all wooden katanas.
    7. Throw a "who can break the PS2" competition.
    (1)
    Last edited by Cursed; 04-28-2011 at 07:47 AM.

Character
    Spero
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 95
    If they do a rebuild of ffxi to eliminate ps2 then they should include ps3 in the rebuild. I think that would make most people happy and get a new player base.
    (0)

Character
    Tamarsamar
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 95
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Ps2 is like 20 years old.
    Er, dude? I'm 20 years old. My first system was the SNES, and I remember the advent of the PlayStation quite vividly (yes, the just . . . PlayStation, the system that introduced me to the concepts of loading screens and memory cards . . . naturally, I hated it). Methinks you're exaggerating by about a decade here, give or take a few years.
    (0)

It was made in like 96-97, exaggerated alittle but still, there is better systems out there and if they can post on here then obviously they have access to a pc to play on. Dell even has pc starting at 300$ and they can run game better then ps2 and you never have to worry about memory issues with every update and the game can be revamped so it looks 100 times better.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamarsamar View Post
    Er, dude? I'm 20 years old. My first system was the SNES, and I remember the advent of the PlayStation quite vividly (yes, the just . . . PlayStation, the system that introduced me to the concepts of loading screens and memory cards . . . naturally, I hated it). Methinks you're exaggerating by about a decade here, give or take a few years.
    You have to understand how people like Wheels think: "I'm 15, that's almost 21!"

On that note, I'll only support the move to drop PS2 if it means dropping Galkas that used outdated swords and melee in full AF (Though I should be able to demand a lot more).
    (1)

Seriously guys wouldn't you like to see and hear actual things like /laugh actually laughs with a sound or /hurray they also shout something like hoo rah and spells or songs would actually look different and sound different, summons could have more of an intro like Ifrit could split the ground and rise from a flaming pit since there would be no more limitations.
    (0)

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    No one mentioned inventory space?

When people on /l said "Arcon PLD", I used to reply with "ok". These days I reply with "What are we doing? What's my subjob? What's our strategy? What is our party/alliance setup? What is my support? What are we fighting? Do I have to kite? Do I have to melee? Does the mob have spikes on? Is it weak to magic? Will I take lots of magic damage and if yes, which element? Will there be space to safely recover? Is time of an issue? When are we due to start? Do mobs cast Paralyze?"

Why am I asking all of this and more, and still end up fed up because I was missing some information? Because right now I can't even gear half my Paladin, so I have to be very selective. So many gear choices to consider for so many situations. I have to use a fresh toolbag for shihei beforehand, because I don't have the inventory space to use another one during the battle. I only have one inventory space (if any) and I need that to swap food, medicines and enchanted items (Reraise, Teleports, Movement Speed, etc.), which takes me ages too because I have to browse my satchel for ages. God forbid I wanna lot on an item, or some random junk drops to my inventory, so I have to keep passing everything as well.
    (1)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Character
    Tsukinokaji
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Scuro View Post
    rather then excuses and add-ons.
    These were actualy not because of the PS2, but because SE was terminating FFXI support in favor of FFXIV and we all know how that went.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cursed View Post
    Do a study on how many servers the PS2 players need.
    A third party did a study that showed PS2 players less then 8% of the player base.
    (3)

Character
    Monkeynutz
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    Without PS2 support the game would be almost exactly the same. They could begin to make some small changes that aren't currently possible, but what most people seem to be asking for is a completely overhauled game somewhere in the ballpark of a $30 million investment. Both the PC and 360 versions of the game are ports just barely tweaked beyond PS2 emulation. Even if all of the assets were redesigned to look as nice as FFXIV the game would run like sludge through a straw until they rewrote the graphics engine, which would be necessary for several of the lighting techniques to work at all anyway. As it happens SE is having trouble making FFXIV work on PS3, let alone the 360 and they have the luxury of developing it for those platforms in the first place (technically porting from PC, though I don't have any private knowledge of their PS3 development -- it could be ground up for all I know) so to retroactively pull an old game up to par with FFXIV is setting your sights a bit too high without considering all of the other obstacles (ie. time and money).

Additionally, if they set out tomorrow to do this when do you expect they'd actually finish? It would be a tremendous amount of work, likely spanning multiple years. The reason developers spend huge sums of time and money on developing content is in hopes people will pay for it (and in the case of MMOs continue to pay for it). By the time they finished PS4 will likely be around the corner and people will just be bitching about how outdated the newly redesigned FFXI looks compared to all the shiny new games. It would truly be an exercise in futility.

However, if they do drop PS2 support at some time in the near future, there are a few things they could reasonably do. The first and probably most significant thing would be to loosen inventory constraints dramatically (I'd say remove them, but that could get out of hand. It shouldn't be any problem to increase inventory size to a few hundred spaces or so, maybe 1,000 just to be sure that they're done with it). I'm not sure what considerations there are to 360 HDD sizes, as it is quite possible to have an even smaller HDD on the 360 than the PS2, but given that like PC users 360 users at least have the option of upgrading HDDs as they need them I'll assume none. In that case if the development team had the means and will they could make new, more traditional expansion content without worrying about how large the digital footprint becomes. Some amount of programming should be possible to remove the current 32MB cap on usable RAM for the game (an obvious relic from the PS2 origins) increasing performance and a slew of other things (like the previously mentioned inventory). Higher resolutions are already possible (on PC anyway) though SE hasn't officially added them, which just makes me think most of the enhancements that would require work to implement just wouldn't happen as PC options for higher resolution/ background resolution from the menu would be simple to add but haven't been.

The list of possibilities goes on, but really I don't see why people have this notion that if PS2 support is dropped SE is just going to go nuts and pour huge sums of time and money into FFXI. It's not as if they have nothing else going on.
    (1)

Character
    Spikeikupo
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    first of all its pretty sad when people only think for themselves and wanting to end ps2 support - ur not helping FFXI community and top of that FFXI is almost a decade old. and u want a entire revamped into a FFXI-2, are u willing to pay more than what ur paying for and now i say either quit FFXI or shut up and play as it is
    (0)
    Spikeikupo - Gilgamesh

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast