Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Character
    Alkar
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 90

[dev1010] Puppetmaster adjustments.

Can't really comment much on attachments right now but they sound good on paper.
    My main issue right now is the new WS and no mention of a change in how you select them.
    All pet jobs can have some sort of direct control over their pets:
    -SMNs select Blood Pacts from a menu;
    -BSTs also select attacks from a menu (only relevant for jugs but they can't even use Charm in Abyssea or in any other endgame activity anyway);
    -DRGs recently got an ability to use certain Breath attacks without subjob combinations.
    After all this, why is PUP still locked in a maneuver selection? I don't like the idea of giving up a useful maneuver slot just to activate a WS or have the puppet fire off Arcuballista because my Dark Maneuver disappears a second before he decides to do anything or have TP to do anything.
    I'd say a menu selection for weapon skills or a better AI would be a nice change.

Regarding attachments I'd suggest doing something to "The Ashu Talif" questline. Either change the entry requirements or add another way to obtain those attachments because even finding people willing to go there and help you out is almost impossible.
    Also is it possible to know what "Tactical Processor" does exactly? <_<

Feel free to discuss/flame/whatever lol.
    (6)

Character
    Tetsujin
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    A "Puppetmaster" is supposed to "pull the strings," so to speak, of their puppet.
    I know it sucks that the other pet jobs get some cool stuff but part of the game/skill with PUP is that you're not supposed to choose spells or weapon skills, but instead work with the puppet and pull it in the right direction. It separates good from bad Puppetmasters at times, like the impatience with overloading.

This is as SE intended it to be and I really hope they don't change this system just to make it "easier for the players."

The AI is supposed to be somewhat of a struggle... until you get to know it. Not saying the system is perfect, there's a few bumps in the road like that whole -na spell situation.

Now for the Ashu Talif questline... people like to complain about this because it's difficult and a bit out of the way, but it's totally doable. It's even easier now with the level cap increase, and all in all it's a ridiculously fun series of BCNM's. Yes, it is extremely hard to put together, but the reward is completely worth it.

Also, I'm just as lost on this Tactical Processor issue. I'm sure SE knows we're still writhing in pain about it.
    (6)

Character
    Yawaru
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 90
    I don't think Maneuvers are the problem as such, they do give you a level of direct control over the puppet that BST and SMN doesn't get, you can customize their stats and abilities on the fly. The problem is, as was pointed out, is you can't control what WS the puppet uses, and the default WS is always a weak move. If my automaton can use Bone Crusher or Armor Piercer, why in the world does it still want to use String Clipper or Arcuballista? And yeah, you can force it to use the higher level WSs by tossing out Maneuvers you's otherwise never use on that frame because they don't benefit its performance at all, but if you use the Maneuvers you'd want to use on melee frames like Fire and Thunder, they make the frame default to a weak WS.

Now SE didn't mention what elemental affinity the new WS are going to have, if they set them to the right element or force the puppet to default to those weapon skills unless prompted otherwise (like using Armor Piercer to make Darkness with Inhibitor) then that would go a long way to making PUP more of a DD like it should be.

One other change I'd like to see is increase the duration of maneuvers to like 2 minutes, constantly refreshing moves or having Light Maneuver wear off just before you need your WHM puppet to cure is just frustrating. It's nice that the system keeps you involved while playing the game but the current duration makes it more tedious than rewarding.

Also since the mage frame isn't getting a new WS, maybe tweak the way Magic Mortar works? Give it a baseline damage of like 300 at full HP or change the calculations all together.
    (1)

I'd like more overload prevention gear. sucks trying to get more casts and ice overloading your pup just putting up the 2nd manuver. That being said, if I could just get parties so I can get my sharpshot and valoredge frames skilled...
    (0)

Character
    Draconious
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99

[dev1010] Puppetmaster adjustments

The following automaton attachments will be added:
    Yay new toys! lets see what they are!

Heat Capacitor A fire-based automaton attachment.
    Functionality: Erases all Fire Maneuver effects to restore TP.
    Noooo not my Fire Maneuvers T-T this better give me lots of TP in exchange for reduced damage output.

Power Cooler An ice-based automaton attachment.
    Functionality: Reduces MP cost in proportion to the number of Ice Maneuvers in effect.
    Ok ... so who still doesn't know how to manage MP @ level 90? This thing is mostly useless.

Barrage Turbine A wind-based automaton attachment.
    Functionality: Erases all Wind Maneuver effects to occasionally grant a Barrage effect.
    Ok ... this would be good if we could accurately predict when our maton was going to ws AND have is use this right before it did unless... the occasionally word worries me. What I'm hoping it works on a % based on maneuvers and not disappear the first time it goes off. Much testing will have to be done on this one but i think this will be a good attachment.

Galvanizer A lightning-based automaton attachment.
    Functionality: Increases chance of countering in proportion to the number of Thunder Maneuvers in effect.
    Wow .. this might be the attachment that will finally allow our maton to tank....

The following weapon skills will be added for the Valoredge and Sharpshot frames:
    This can be nothing but winning!

String Shredder: Valoredge
    Delivers a twofold attack.
    Critical hit rate varies with TP.
    Let's hope it's earth maneuver! 2fold crit ws should be thunder(bonus to crit) however that's already used ... maybe SE will double up on thunder cause we don't want our maton using string clipper anyways

Armor Shatterer: Sharpshot
    Delivers a fourfold attack.
    Additional effect: Weakens defense
    Additional effect duration varies with TP.
    This one is tricky.... Barrage effect would probably work better on a 1 hit ws... but since it's prolly a fairly low chance of that happening. Love the Weakens defense!

If there is one thing I have to say about this pupdate is that it falls short of what we were hoping for. There is no mention of AI adjustment. Our Spritireavers will forever be stuck in drain / aspir mode T-T.
    (0)

Character
    Lushipur
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    I'd like more overload prevention gear. sucks trying to get more casts and ice overloading your pup just putting up the 2nd manuver. That being said, if I could just get parties so I can get my sharpshot and valoredge frames skilled...
    af3+1 body is what u need and with the +2 you'll never need a water man. up ^^
    (1)

Only the phoenix arises and does not descend. And everything changes. And nothing is truly lost.

working 4 jobs ahead of pup, I might as well hope for the stage 4 kenkonen atm... but yeah, I like it
    (0)

Player
    and the default WS is always a weak move. If my automaton can use Bone Crusher or Armor Piercer, why in the world does it still want to use String Clipper or Arcuballista?
    the automaton default to your highest ws "Bone Crusher or Armor Piercer" , with no or non-ws trigger maneuvers.
    (0)

Character
    Xiozan
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    The Cirque gear for pup (specifically the body piece) will greatly decrease your overload rate. However, it appears you may be a low-level puppetmaster, in which case my only suggestion is the Buffoon's collar, Heatsink attachment and condenser attachment (both attachments are for specific overloads only)... lastly, the Artifact Puppetry Dastanas can be combined with the buffoon's collar as part of a macro, to enhance the reduction of overload.
    (1)

{DISCLAIMER} Posts may contain opinions based on personal experiences that are not meant to be taken as facts. What may appear as fact with no source reference may be recollection of information with no source, and may be subject to scrutiny without source reference. Any debate may be considered conjecture of all parties in that debate. Player comments may not be the expressed position/consent of SE, their affiliates, or any employees of said organizations.

Character
    Ubasti
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 5
    Heatsink only affects Fire maneuvers, Condenser stops overloads of any element(except Water, for obvious reasons) as long as a Water maneuver is present.
    (1)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast