Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Player
    I guess another plus would be a higher chance to cure certain status effects like doom? Either way, as has been stated multiple times... still lame.
    (0)

Character
    Kitheren
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    They ought to make Healing Magic a bit more important to WHM :\ I mean, it's our highest skill but it's so.... useless? Bleh.
    (0)
    Kitheren of Valefor
    Married to Valkarie
    ~*Thank you everyone who helped me with my Mjollnir!*~

Character
    Retsujo
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    I've always understood healing magic to help status ailment removal spells more than cure potency, strengthening the chances we'd have to... say, remove Doom status with Cursna or something around those lines.

I'm pretty sure Cure Potency caps out at 50% as a specific stat boost, but I have no idea the effects of that combined with MND and healing magic skill.

Cure casting time reduction is not linked to fast cast, I'm almost fairly certain.
    (0)
    Through the confinement of Valefor I found myself in the depths of Hades. It was there that I was thrown into Cerberus' Den. Only through Carbuncle's light could I find my way.

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Retsujo View Post
    I've always understood healing magic to help status ailment removal spells more than cure potency, strengthening the chances we'd have to... say, remove Doom status with Cursna or something around those lines.
    I thought this was debunked a while back, by [for example] BRD/WHM saving doomed people equally as reliably in Dynamis. But, both cases (it does help; it doesn't help) could have been true at different times -- SE has ninja patched stuff before.

I do certainly remember seeing BRD/WHM and SMN/WHM and stuff firing successful cursnas enough times to make me skeptical, back in the day ... but I guess I wrote it off as having a narrow gap between high and low caps:
    [for example]
    Minimum chance to Doomna based on skill: 20%
    Maximum chance to Doomna based on skill: 30%

... which would help disguise the fact that it does in fact help (...if it does!). Because, after all, I want to believe our skill matters!
    (0)
    Last edited by Rya; 04-30-2011 at 01:03 AM.
    Rya's Killage Factory: http://www.happyhappyd.com/

Character
    Eldelphia
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    I wonder if Healing Magic skill is more useful to PLD in all honesty. It does impact our cures but because we rarely get hit, we rarely get interrupted for example. Cure potency is much more powerful. I endeavour to keep my skills capped (although healing magic has been a pain this time and I'm still a few points under).

Fact is our cures can't be resisted so that and our rarely interrupted status as predominantly backline means Healing magic skill isn't as useful as others. Of course if you don't recap it you'll notice slightly lower cures but not enormously so.

Reaching the Cure potency cap, filling in with MND, Haste and -ENM are probably more important.
    (0)

Skill isn't really that great for Paladin either. For most any slot where Skill is an option for Paladin, they'd have to be giving up Enmity+, which isn't really the best trade. They're fairly quick spells so it's generally fairly easy to time them properly to avoid interruption regardless.

That said, I agree on the rest. There are very few places where you can beat straight potency. About the only practical example I can think of is using AF3+2 Feet and Augur's Gloves over the Serpentes set. You gain so much MND that you end up with a net gain despite losing 1% potency.
    (0)

Character
    Eldelphia
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Yeah I didn't really mean gearing for skill for PLD (sorry, I wasn't clear) but more that capped skill and all the shield mastery stuff makes it much easier to cast.
    (0)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3