Thread: Guardstance?

Character
    Tyh
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 90

Guardstance?

I don't know about you guys, but since SE announced that the level cap is going rom 75 to 99, i've been wishing for a way to level guard more easily.

In order for Guard to skillup, it needs to proc, and it isn't proccing often, so SE why not give us an ability similar to Counterstance, maybe make it so either our Evasion or our Attack are put to 0 and it increases the chance to guard, give us MNKs an easier time to skill guard pleaaaase :P
    (0)
    It's not about how your parents died, but how your grandparents died...i'm fine as long as I stay away from Zulus

Character
    Amarok
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I like this idea, most of the problem is our high eva and counter skill when trying to skill up guard. I'd like to see a Berserk kind of thing, but put eva and counter down to near nothing while Guardstance is up.
    (0)

Character
    Tyh
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 90
    I shoulda put a Dev tag on this one lol
    (0)
    It's not about how your parents died, but how your grandparents died...i'm fine as long as I stay away from Zulus

4. 03-09-2011 12:14 AM

Character
    Dhragon
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Evasion will go up, even with shadows still up. You can evade the attack and it not consume a shadow.
    (0)

Character
    Kyatfa
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    COR Lv 90
    They need give monk ability make guard proc more or Job Traits like Pld Shield Mastery
    (0)

Character
    Tigerwoods
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    They'd actually have to make guard useful in order to make something like guardstance worth it.

You can parry w/ shadows up for example. Parry also blocks not only all damage, but lets you complete casting spells.

With shield, you still take damage, but it's reduced much more than guard, shield procs way more often than guard, and still prevents spells from being interrupted.

With guard, w/o stacking guard+ in every slot, on any mob higher than EM w/ capped guard, you have the same guard rate as lv 0 guard, 5%. From there, if you guard, utsu is still getting interrupted.

Plus, with 60%+ counter rate (up to 76 in abyssea), that's only a 40% chance that you're even going to have a chance to proc guard, then add in the low proc rate itself, and out of shield, parry, and guard, it has the least benefits of the three.

They need to fix guard itself before they just increase the guard rate, especially if you have to sacrifice something else for it.

Edit: Also, if the mob is EM or lower and you do have a decent proc rate on guard, it still doesn't make a diff because with monsters that weak, you can avoid the damage all together with evasion gear, so evading is going to be a priority to guarding there as well. Not to mention that they hit for much lower damage as well, so you're getting less utility from that portion of the guard proc as well.

From someone who had guard capped for over a year before they raised the level cap to 80, the only time I found guard useful was in ballista, which is pretty much dead on the majority of the servers now.
    (0)
    Last edited by Cream_Soda; 03-09-2011 at 03:42 AM.

Character
    Cero
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Neither parry or guard ever proc, so I would say that they're both equally useless.
    (0)

Character
    Tigerwoods
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Nah, even w/ the same abysmal proc rate, parry still offers a lot more when it does proc.

An adjustment to proc rate would make parry pretty awesome.

An adjustment to guard proc rate would still render it useless because even when it does proc, you're not getting much from it.

Even if they are both useless, I wouldn't go as far as to call them equally useless.
    (0)
    Last edited by Cream_Soda; 03-09-2011 at 04:02 AM.

Character
    Dinh
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Cream_Soda View Post
    They'd actually have to make guard useful in order to make something like guardstance worth it.

You can parry w/ shadows up for example. Parry also blocks not only all damage, but lets you complete casting spells.

With shield, you still take damage, but it's reduced much more than guard, shield procs way more often than guard, and still prevents spells from being interrupted.

With guard, w/o stacking guard+ in every slot, on any mob higher than EM w/ capped guard, you have the same guard rate as lv 0 guard, 5%. From there, if you guard, utsu is still getting interrupted.

Plus, with 60%+ counter rate (up to 76 in abyssea), that's only a 40% chance that you're even going to have a chance to proc guard, then add in the low proc rate itself, and out of shield, parry, and guard, it has the least benefits of the three.

They need to fix guard itself before they just increase the guard rate, especially if you have to sacrifice something else for it.

Edit: Also, if the mob is EM or lower and you do have a decent proc rate on guard, it still doesn't make a diff because with monsters that weak, you can avoid the damage all together with evasion gear, so evading is going to be a priority to guarding there as well. Not to mention that they hit for much lower damage as well, so you're getting less utility from that portion of the guard proc as well.

From someone who had guard capped for over a year before they raised the level cap to 80, the only time I found guard useful was in ballista, which is pretty much dead on the majority of the servers now.
    The thing about guard is that the higher level the skill the more damage it negates, so yes it is extremely useful, so to say that it does not negate as much as shield is ignorance. That is, taking Aegis and the like out of the equation.
    (0)

Character
    Tigerwoods
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    The thing about guard is that the higher level the skill the more damage it negates,
    This is completely and utterly wrong.

Guard skill ONLY affects proc rate. Guarding w/ 0 skill and guarding w/ capped skill will mitigate the exact same damage.
    (0)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast