Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Guardstance?

Character
    Dinh
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    No it isn't as my guard was capped as of 75, IT mobs at lower levels of guard would hit for around 50 on a proc, and at the time of cap the damage negated on the same IT mobs was brought down to around 18. There is plenty of evidence to support this, especially Genomes entire guide on leveling up guard. Look into it, the higher the skill the more damage guard will negate.
    (0)

Character
    Tigerwoods
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Again, you're wrong.

Firstly, Genome was horrible with his testing. Remember his claims for AGI raising kick attack rate?

Secondly, my guard was also capped at 75 and for over a year.

Thirdly, he didn't even claim that.

Genome said that guard procs were -1 to enemy PDIF, which is essentially a negative crit (as a crit is +1 to PDIF). You'll notice that when you guard a crit, it'll do the same damage as a regular hit.

This is not dependent on your guard skill in any way shape or form.

Edit: Directly from his live journal thing

Guard damage reduction
    Guard is a great defensive skill, it reduces damage taken by subtracting one from enemy's pDIF. That means it turns criticals into non-criticals, and can greatly reduce damage from normal hits. pDIF ranges from 0 to ~2.46 and is capped at those values so the % damage decrease from subtracting 1 varies.
    However, guard seems to have a higher, non-zero, lower bound, so if you are already getting hit for just ~15 for example, your guarded damage will also be just 15 (no change), and not 0 (you can see this in the video with 7dmg after phalanx). I don't think that's ever mentioned in discussions about guard and should be tested more to figure out the exact lower bound effect.
    On average the damage reduction tends to be about 75% (for example from 80 normal damage to 20 guarded damage, or from 200 to 50). Where does the number -1 pDIF come from? I am not really sure to be honest, it's never linked to any reference or test. However it at least matches its effect on critical hits damage (which is probably where it came from, since critical hits add +1 to pDIF, and that's well tested and easy to verify), so it's probably a good assumption, however as I said it doesn't explain well situations where normal hits and guard hits are capped at the same non-zero lower value. One possibility since I observed this mostly on chigoes is that it's not something about guard but something about chigoes, for example if they have an extra +15 damage to their hits even when their pDIF is 0.
    Please point out where this says anything about guard skill having an effect on the mitigation.
    (0)
    Last edited by Cream_Soda; 03-09-2011 at 04:39 AM.

Character
    Dinh
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    Once again, not necessarily, as the damage negated on a critical hit during a guard at higher levels in guard skill has shown that the damage is considerably less than a regular hit.
    (0)

Character
    Tigerwoods
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Check my edit, I didn't know you posted.
    (0)

Character
    Cero
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    If something almost never procs, despite being semi decent when it does, it is not by any means extremely useful. How much do you think Guard reduces the overall damage you take?
    (0)

Character
    Tigerwoods
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    I'm fine w/ the conclusion of -1 PDIF guestimated in the testing.

Also, I hate the avatars on this site. I can't tell you two apart half the time.
    (0)

Character
    Cero
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Yeah, I dunno why I they won't allow us to upload our own avatars.

Also, according to two JP sources.

http://ffxi.wikiwiki.jp/?%A5%B9%A5%B...E2%A5%F3%A5%AF
    http://wiki.ffo.jp/html/609.html

Guard Skill only affects guard rate.
    (0)

Character
    Tigerwoods
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    I'm pretty sure he already realized he was wrong a while ago, since he stopped posting.

However, the extra confirmation is nice.

Good detective work.

Bring the blond guy back when they let us use custom avatars.
    (0)

Player
    why care to guard when u can counter 80%+ of the time in abyssea. Now if SE somehow makes outside of abyssea work again then ya it might be handy on some things like tankin HNMs on mnk .......
    (0)

Character
    Tyh
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 90
    Because Counter can't proc on a TP attack unlike Guard (which negates the Damage iirc) and honestly, i've read that people think that migitating damage, even by the littlest amount don't matter, i think is wrong, how many times has everyone on any job survived by the skin of their teeth after a TP move or just soloing mobs.

That 100 damage hit that killed you at 75 health could have a slight chance of being migitated and help you survive, then heck it's not so bad, every little helps, right?

and then of course there are thoes who just want Guard capped for the sake of it being capped lol
    (0)
    It's not about how your parents died, but how your grandparents died...i'm fine as long as I stay away from Zulus

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast