Thread: Guardstance?

Character
    Tigerwoods
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    (which negates the Damage iirc)
    It doesn't. It'll say the move missed in your chat log, but if you look at your health bar, you certainly take damage, just reduced damage (like any other guard).

i've read that people think that migitating damage, even by the littlest amount don't matter, i think is wrong, how many times has everyone on any job survived by the skin of their teeth after a TP move or just soloing mobs.

That 100 damage hit that killed you at 75 health could have a slight chance of being migitated and help you survive, then heck it's not so bad, every little helps, right?
    When your guard rate w/ capped guard is 5% and with 0 guard is 5%, it's the absolute same chance of preventing death in that situation.

If you're jamming guard+ into every slot to increase that 5% chance, you're still going to take more damage overall because now you're removing useful defenses, such as PDT gear.
    (0)

Character
    Dinh
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    No actually I had to go to work, but once again this is all speculation, with comments like "seems" in there does not make the statement anywhere near conclusive. The only people that can confirm or deny this is the development team. There is math that does determine the boundaries of actual damage reduced, but ultimately that is just a set threshold, everything else goes off of the tic function which is predominant in almost any programming language that generates a "random" but not really random number within that threshold, therefore it is entirely possible that guard skill at higher levels can reduce more damage taken as that threshold can change with the values of the skill.
    (0)

Character
    Moridam
    World
    Curbuncle
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 90
    Guard has been discussed and tested to death over the years. If there were any damage reduction benefit with increased guard skill, it would've been found ages ago, but it hasn't been found, because that effect does not exist.

And honestly, unless the devs make some some radical changes to the way guard works, it's not worth discussing any further, for reasons CS and others have elaborated on in this thread and elsewhere, dozens of times.
    (0)

Character
    Tigerwoods
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinh View Post
    No actually I had to go to work, but once again this is all speculation, with comments like "seems" in there does not make the statement anywhere near conclusive. The only people that can confirm or deny this is the development team. There is math that does determine the boundaries of actual damage reduced, but ultimately that is just a set threshold, everything else goes off of the tic function which is predominant in almost any programming language that generates a "random" but not really random number within that threshold, therefore it is entirely possible that guard skill at higher levels can reduce more damage taken as that threshold can change with the values of the skill.
    I love how you back pedal.

"oh go do the research, I'm right you're wrong"

Research is presented

"oh, only the development team knows"

Not the same tune you were singing earlier.
    (0)

Character
    Zetonegi
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinh View Post
    Here I'll clarify it for you. After extensive testing, it has been found that Guard has an effect of ~1-PDif. Additionally, Guard has a very low proc rate, such that if the mob is difficult, then the difference between capped and uncapped Guard skill is nonexistent(read always 5%).
    To put it another way. Guard is to MNK as Staff skill is to SMN. It doesn't matter how pimp your gear is, Melee SMN is going to be bad.
    (0)

Half of you are full of crap, so before anyone else continues, EVERYONE read everything here, and on its discussion page:

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Guard
    (0)

Character
    Cero
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    There is nothing in that page that either wasn't posted here or that is largely unsubstantiated (some theoretical formula posted by some guy who never posted any kind of data to reinforce it.)
    (0)

Character
    Leroyj
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 96
    I don't think we need a "guardstance" but I do think that the rate at which we guard needs to be increased, aswell as the rate at which we gain skill-ups for it, otherwise if mnk isn't slowly becoming a new tanking type job, needs more offence, cause we all know outside of abyssea on monsters that matter, mnk is pretty much shitpiece so infact all the more reason to increase the effectiveness of guard so we aren't dealing shit dmg and taking massive dmg.

Unless they let us use atmas outside of abyssea, I honestly hope they don't do that, abyssea should be the only place for that insanity.
    (0)

Character
    Tigerwoods
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    mnk is pretty much shitpiece so infact all the more reason to increase the effectiveness of guard so we aren't dealing shit dmg and taking massive dmg.
    Speak for yourself.

I agree with your statement if it's directed toward bad players and bandwagon monks, but this was never a problem for good monks, lol.
    (0)

Player
    indeed, my LS has mnk tank pretty much everything in sky/sea. If you're a good mnk with decent support you can tank pretty much anything in the old zones with only a few exceptions.
    (0)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast